Poll: Dwarf

Page 36 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    The problem is that the majority of the complaints in the reviews (And it appears why people are giving it bad rating on RT) is purely because of the 48FPS. Which sure, that is what Peter Jackson filmed it in and is the 'Proper' viewing format. But it's absurd when you read a review and they say how they generally thought the movie was good, but then spend a page dissing the 48FPS and hence give it a 'Rotten' Rating. Even if 48FPS is the proper viewing format, PJ is releasing it in 24FPS specifically to give people that option if they cannot adapt to the 48FPS or simply don't enjoy it. So the 48FPS shouldn't be the major reason why they review it so harshly, because there is that Option to watch in 24 or 48.

The main other complaint is that the movie is simply to long and slow. Which frankly strikes me as double standards when people start their review with how much they loved LOTR and the Trilogy is a Classic, but then the next minute try and say that Hobbit was slow and tedious... Like sure I haven't seen the movie yet, but one of the things which make LOTR SO GREAT is that IT IS SLOW. Every movie in the Original Trilogy has so many slow moments, with tons of landscape shots, travelling companions and armies and lots of talking and scenery etc. It was something that made LOTR so iconic and personally I LOVE the fact that PJ draws you into Middle Earth so much that you don't mind the movies being so slow. Just strikes me as very hypocritical and makes me trust the review alot less.

I guess being a massive fanboy I get hyper defensive, but it just seems like the reviewers are being ridiculous. Doesn't really matter in the end, I've watched enough production Videos, Trailers etc to know that this is going to be a fucking amazing movie, no matter what the reviewers say. It just would make me sad if people don't watch it because of a few reviewers grudge against 48FPS and hypocrisy about movie pace.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The WETA miniature at the start of that video is incredible. I will never stop being stupid jealous of their creativity and artistic ability.
    WETA is amazing. So much talent and imagination. I wish I had even a tenth of it. Love their Dr Grordbort stuff too.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-12-07 at 09:21 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Calling them dumb artsy and then say /sarcasm over makes me think you DON'T think they're dumb and artsy.
    You clearly did not get it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Apparently the 48fps option is not being shown in all cinema's see below for a list of cinema's that will be showing The Hobbit in 48 fps.

http://www.48fpsmovies.com/48-fps-theater-list/

So make sure you book it in one of those.
    I didn't expect it to be in every theater, but its only in 6 theaters in my entire state. That blows. I don't think I can bring myself to drive over two hours to see it in 48fps.

Hmmm... Not sure if I want to see it in 48fps or 24fps first now.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I didn't expect it to be in every theater, but its only in 6 theaters in my entire state. That blows. I don't think I can bring myself to drive over two hours to see it in 48fps.
    That blows considering in my state there are 6-8 within an hour or so drive of me or less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey I want to buy some tickets for next Friday, but I am having a hard time deciding between IMAX and HDR. I am leaning towards HDR but the complaints are discouraging..

Verdict:

Charming, spectacular, technically audacious… in short, everything you expect from a Peter Jackson movie. A feeling of familiarity does take hold in places, but this is an epically entertaining first course.
    For ultimately The Hobbit is a children’s story. And Jackson et al have done a masterful job of bringing life, depth and impossibly intricate detail to Tolkien’s fantasy world.
    Me likey. Can't wait guys.

The original trilogy of LOTR is a complete masterpiece, and I have no doubt at all that the Hobbit will be nothing short of the same. I can't wait!
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm unfortunately (and fortunately I suppose) not going to see it on release. I won't see it in 3d as I hate the glasses because of headaches they cause me. However, I am incredibly psyched for this movie. I loved the book, and I hope the movie can do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Oboloz View Post
    Hey I want to buy some tickets for next Friday, but I am having a hard time deciding between IMAX and HDR. I am leaning towards HDR but the complaints are discouraging..
    IMO I would choose Imax. I think the HFR will be good, but it will take time to get used to ... So to have the best opening experience, I'd probs go for that Epic Imax in a Framerate we are familiar with.

Thankfully I don't have to choose HFR/Imax/3D all in one neat package at my Cinema, but I'd trade that for a standard ticket to see it this Friday instead of having to wait till the 26th >.< (Still cursing Australia hahaha)

I'm going to see it 12. December Wednesday, 14.30 (danish time, aka "Central Europa Time"). Got nine tickets, seeing it with my dad, my little sister, and 6 class mates. 3D/HFR.

5 days more, hnnng!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I'm going to see it 12. December Wednesday, 14.30 (danish time, aka "Central Europa Time"). Got nine tickets, seeing it with my dad, my little sister, and 6 class mates. 3D/HFR.

5 days more, hnnng!
    DAAAAAAAAMMMNN YOOOOUUUU :P I think I'll have to sneak into this thread once it comes out just to get a preview from you guys who clearly are as keen as me for the films, see what you thought then cut myself off from the internet

10+ Year Old Account
    Just made up some plans with a friend I'm going to to see the movie with. We're going to bake bread and wrap it up in leaves to eat during the movie at the midnight release. Then during the evening on wednesday we're going to see it again but this time not in 3D. And then, we're going to decide which version was best and watch it a third time. And during the days I'm staying at his place (another town), we're going to have the same eating-schedule as hobbits. Breakfast twice and scheduled time for tea, aww yuss!

I'm planning on buying a smoking pipe that looks like Aragorn's, but I won't have time to buy it before the movie is out
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    That blows considering in my state there are 6-8 within an hour or so drive of me or less.
    I've got one across the river but I'm not going to waste money for 48fps if that means its only those 3d screens. If they had it on the regular screens I might pay extra for it but not those glasses nonsense.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

If i'm not mistaken the kind of look that 48 FPS gives is similar to watching an episode of eastenders on daytime TV, very fast and fluid movements that aren't overly dramatic. It's the kind of look that makes the costumes look that much more fake, and the combat scenes look that much more ridiculous and fake. Though I would actually like to see it in 48fps that really isn't an option anyway. Pretty much all the cinemas around here are showing it in 24fps 2d, 3d or Imax 3D.

I'm surprised so much of a fuss has been made about it, especially given that the vast majority of people won't get to see it in 48fps anyway, atleast not until it's released on Blu-ray.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I've checked in Belgium and the 48fps version seems to be available in plenty of towns and cinema's. Just not sure I want to pay extra for that, certainly seeing as I haven't seen a 3D movie before. (Did see some silly 4D in an amusement park once and wasn't impressed)

The movie itself I'm excited about a lot more than the imax/3D and other crap. The Hobbit was one the first book I read in English and enjoyed it a lot (now I read exclusively English books, Dutch is a sucky language)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Apparently the 48fps option is not being shown in all cinema's see below for a list of cinema's that will be showing The Hobbit in 48 fps.

http://www.48fpsmovies.com/48-fps-theater-list/

So make sure you book it in one of those.
    Only 2 cinemas in Sweden playing the 48fps version?!

Completely ruined it for me as I don't want to see it in 24fps.

Edit: Scratch that, that list is not complete as from what I can tell almost every theater in my town will play the 48fps version. So make sure that you actually check if your cinema is playing it or not.

Hope is restored!
    Last edited by nalle; 2012-12-08 at 09:22 PM.

Ticket ordered for Finnish premiere on the night between 11. and 12. of this month so only three days to go. Of course 48 framerates and 3D to see what this shit is on about. It better work out good for that price.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2012-12-09 at 05:19 AM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Oh yea, I'm not sure if this was ever posted here in the Forum ... But there's alot of Stupid videos on youtube and shit where they simply just double the speed of the trailer and say it's a "48FPS Example"... However this here is a much better representation of what it will look like.

http://www.lukeletellier.com/?portfo...ailer-to-48fps

It's still not exactly what it will look like when it comes onto the theater screen, but this chap has done a proper post-conversion and it gives you a much better idea of what the film will look like.