Poll: Dwarf

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure it was the witch-king not Sauron himself
    No, it's definitely Sauron. It's been a while since I've read the books, but I am 100% certain the Necromancer was Sauron.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    why did rotten tomatoes give the hobbit 65%? i mean they gave all the lotro movies 90+%

what gives
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Gollum and Radagast were the best characters in the movie. Was quite enjoyable apart from the utterly pointless 3D.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by metaladdict View Post
    Yeah it's Sauron, though the ghost which attacked Radagast could've been the Witch-King since Peter Jackson apparently wanted to pull of some jibber jabber about him being burried in a tomb and what not....

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Good film, but im getting old and My bum was aching , really needed 5/10 minute recess with these longer films

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    why did rotten tomatoes give the hobbit 65%? i mean they gave all the lotro movies 90+%

what gives
    Read through the comments, and some of them were pretty sad; overall lost all of my faith in rotten tomatoes after this. That and I think there was a shadowing effect since LOTR was, well.... epic is an understatement.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Yeah, that does seem very likely. Especially since the sword dropped was confirmed to be the Witch-King's
    My thoughts exactly.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Would you rather have another actor portrait him? I personally don't think I can see anyone else doing the role after him. Or, maybe in like 20 years if they decide to re-visit LotR.
    I would be fine with someone else in the role. They are acting after all. I don't get "that" attached to anyone in a particular role. If age or health gets in the way then absolutely someone else should fill the part.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I would be fine with someone else in the role. They are acting after all. I don't get "that" attached to anyone in a particular role. If age or health gets in the way then absolutely someone else should fill the part.
    Interesting view of things, I've never liked it when they replace actors in movies (Took a few movies before I could feel at ease with the new dumbledore for example). It's just.. when I imagine the character I see the actor. So when I imagine Saruman I always see Christopher Lee. Even if I read a book, a few years later a movie comes out and I go back to re-read the book, I keep seeing the actor.

Obviously not the case if I read a book without a movie adaption though.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by metaladdict View Post
    In the movie the ghost you saw was the witch-king, then after that you saw a black outline of something indistinct. That was the necromancer (who is also sauron).

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Yeah it's Sauron, though the ghost which attacked Radagast could've been the Witch-King since Peter Jackson apparently wanted to pull of some jibber jabber about him being burried in a tomb and what not....
    I think the ghost was definitely the witch king, he looked identical to what he looks like in Fellowship on the Watch Tower; but the necromancer was also there.

Interesting view of things, I've never liked it when they replace actors in movies (Took a few movies before I could feel at ease with the new dumbledore for example). It's just.. when I imagine the character I see the actor. So when I imagine Saruman I always see Christopher Lee. Even if I read a book, a few years later a movie comes out and I go back to re-read the book, I keep seeing the actor.

Obviously not the case if I read a book without a movie adaption though.
    I have to agree here. It's always jarring to me when a character is suddenly portrayed by someone else. I mean I never really got used to the second Dumbeldore and always liked the first much better (as an example).

Side note, anyone else concerned about Cumberbunch (no idea how to spell his name) being the voice of smaug? I mean I get everyone loves him and stuff, he just doesn't have a very dragonish voice imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Side note, anyone else concerned about Cumberbunch (no idea how to spell his name) being the voice of smaug? I mean I get everyone loves him and stuff, he just doesn't have a very dragonish voice imo.
    Haven't seen much with him to actually have an opinion on the matter, but I'm sure layers of effects will solve any possible issue. I mean, the Nazgul screams were actually made by Peter Jackson's wife, Fran Welsh, who found out she could make some horrible sounds while her throat were sore. I have faith in PJ and his crew to make Cumberbunch or whatevs sound like the most dragonly dragon!
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Haven't seen much with him to actually have an opinion on the matter, but I'm sure layers of effects will solve any possible issue. I mean, the Nazgul screams were actually made by Peter Jackson's wife, Fran Welsh, who found out she could make some horrible sounds while her throat were sore. I have faith in PJ and his crew to make Cumberbunch or whatevs sound like the most dragonly dragon!
    How does one even sound dragonly?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't read the book (nor every page in this long thread), but I was wondering if some people could clear some stuff up for me.

The 13 dwarves in this movie, is that all that remain from the orginial kingdom in the mountain? The rest were either killed by Smaug or died in that war with the Orcs?

Speaking of this war, I was confused as what the purpose of this was? What were they fighting for? A new homeland they had found?

The Heart of the Mountain, is this gem what Smaug truly wanted? Is the gem still resting with him in the city in the mountain?

Finally a timeline, is this accurate? Smaug takes over city --> King Oakenshield behead, Thrain lost in war with Orcs --> Bilbo and 13 begin journey to take home city back. This is now 60 years after Smaug has taken over the city, which is why they assume he is no longer there? I guess Dwarves age very well since Thorin looks exactly the same 60 years later? :P

Thanks for the help

Anybody worried about Benedict Cumberbatch's Voice for Smaug should realize there is a thing called Voice Acting.

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 04:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I didn't read the book (nor every page in this long thread), but I was wondering if some people could clear some stuff up for me.

The 13 dwarves in this movie, is that all that remain from the orginial kingdom in the mountain? The rest were either killed by Smaug or died in that war with the Orcs?

Speaking of this war, I was confused as what the purpose of this was? What were they fighting for? A new homeland they had found?

The Heart of the Mountain, is this gem what Smaug truly wanted? Is the gem still resting with him in the city in the mountain?

Finally a timeline, is this accurate? Smaug takes over city --> King Oakenshield behead, Thrain lost in war with Orcs --> Bilbo and 13 begin journey to take home city back. This is now 60 years after Smaug has taken over they city, which is why they assume he is no longer there? I guess Dwarves age very well since Thorin looks exactly the same 60 years later? :P

Thanks for the help
    13 dwarves are the only ones who said they would help when Thorin asked all the dwarves to go retake their home. There are more dwarves they just dont want to fight smaug.

What war?

Heart of the mountain is still with Smaug, he took the mountian because Dragons just like gold.

its been 200 years since Smaug took the mountain, and yes Thorin Oakenshield looks similar because Dwarves live a long time so he is still a Youngish Dwarf
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Have you ever seen the old animated version? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077687/ Richard Boone was the voice of smaug and was brilliant. I'd search for a clip of it on youtube to show you but I can't see youtube at work

I also think that Keith David's would have been great for smaug. For mean I think a voice needs to have a deep and large quality to it.

Benedict Cumberbatch (i looked it up :P ) seems like he can definitely do the arrogant part, but the over powering awe inducing aspect.... idk. I am also incredibly curious what he will look like exactly. Sad we didn't see more of him in the first movie

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 11:52 AM ----------

Finally a timeline, is this accurate? Smaug takes over city --> King Oakenshield behead, Thrain lost in war with Orcs --> Bilbo and 13 begin journey to take home city back. This is now 60 years after Smaug has taken over the city, which is why they assume he is no longer there? I guess Dwarves age very well since Thorin looks exactly the same 60 years later? :P
    To clarify what Gamdewlf said, the 60 years part is just how long it's been since smaug has been active/seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Anybody worried about Benedict Cumberbatch's Voice for Smaug should realize there is a thing called Voice Acting.
    Of course, but everyone's voices have certain timbre's to them that no matter how you try to make them sound different. An example would be Robin Williams (who can do some great impressions) still always sounds like Robin Williams. I mean sure they can put it through processing and stuff, but then it's not really his voice anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the movie the ghost you saw was the witch-king, then after that you saw a black outline of something indistinct. That was the necromancer (who is also sauron).

I think the ghost was definitely the witch king, he looked identical to what he looks like in Fellowship on the Watch Tower; but the necromancer was also there.

I have to agree here. It's always jarring to me when a character is suddenly portrayed by someone else. I mean I never really got used to the second Dumbeldore and always liked the first much better (as an example).

It's Benedict Cumberbatch. I think his voice will be just fine and deep enough. It's not like they can't modify it anyway if he's unable to do it himself. Which I doubt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHlQUXFzfw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wFmr1GuZLY

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I'd say lighting your lungs on fire and then trying to talk, but the VA in the animated version pulls it off quite well. Rob Inglis who's reading the audiobook version I'm currently listening through does it kinda good too.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

I'd say lighting your lungs on fire and then trying to talk, but the VA in the animated version pulls it off quite well. Rob Inglis who's reading the audiobook version I'm currently listening through does it kinda good too.

If that's the standard of doing it quite well, I wouldn't be worried at all.

I also think that Keith David's would have been great for smaug. For mean I think a voice needs to have a deep and large quality to it.
    I don't think I would like Keith David as Smaug. I wouldn't be able to keep from giving little laughs each time he would talk because all I could think of is Goliath from Disney's Gargoyles. And I wouldn't be able to get the vision out of my head. As for Cumberbatch... His voice is fairly deep, but I don't know if it could be dragony. Christopher Lee would have made a good one. But I see them doing something similar to what they did with Treebeard. Doing some kind of effects to the voice to make it more dragony, since Treebeard didn't sound much like Gimli (who was the same person). But, we shall see how it is next year. Still pisses me off that they are waiting that damn long between movies. 5-6 month gap would be better, especially since they filmed all 3 movies at the same damn time.

10+ Year Old Account

Thanks for the help

The 13 dwarves are the ne who have accepted to join Thorin.

The purpose of this endeavour is to take back the gold from Smaug. Dwarves are rather greedy, but they are not foolish enough to think they could take back the city all by themselves.

The Arkenstone is still in the Mountain.

As for the timeline :

About 200 years before The Hobbit, King Thror (who is not named Oakenshield, that's Thorin's surname), escapes Erebor with his son Thrain II and his grand-son Thorin II Oakenshield. About 10 years later, he gives his ring (the last of the Seven) to his son and leaves for Moria. He is killed there. Later on, Thrain II, because of his ring, gets greedy and wants to return to Erebor. He is captured by Sauron's minions and taken to Dol Guldur. Sauron takes his ring. Gandalf enters Dol Guldur. Thrain gives him the key and the map to Erebor. The rest is related in The Hobbit.

So Thorin is more than 200 years old. In the movie, he looks like a middle aged dwarf, but in the book he is the oldest of the 13 dwarves(well, maybe after Balin). He has a long white beard.