Poll: Dwarf

HELL YEAH! It's COOL!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ojg View Post
    I really liked the movie, the only thing is that there were way too much random stuff, like the fighting mountains. 3 mountains transforming to 3 stone giants, that randomly starts fighting and throwing huge rocks at each other, makes no sence imo.
    That was actually in the book.

The Hobbit was amazing. Hats off to everyone involved in the making of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    That was actually in the book.
    Ye it was, had to start re-reading it too remember it, it was like on paragraph, they made an awesome scene out of it.
    personally, I loved it, it feels like a real hearth fire story, mostly just a nice story, nothing too exciting but not too boring either.

I loved the movie. I've read the book, so I knew what to expect, and so I wasn't bored or disappointed. There is a lot more action and things happening on a grander scale in LOTR, so the movies are of course more "epic".
    Mother pus bucket!

Meh, a lot of unneeded extras in there. While I didn't mind Radagast, it takes A LOT away from Beorn, and what makes him extremely special. Also, did they really have to put the whole Azog chasing aspect into the movie? I mean shit, why can't they have an adventure turn sour because of bad luck, but no, some underlying evil dude has to be there (I mean shit, Azog dies in the battle where Thorin's father dies). So that made no sense to me.

Also, the reason Gandalf wanted the company to go to Rivendell was because of the threat of Dol Guldur and the Necromancer (Sauron), they had a white council to discuss it. Kinda like the One Ring in LOTR. They didn't all meet there by chance. How Gandalf got the the key, and learned of Sauron in Dol Guldur was of importance. Radagast took that away as well.

The end bothered me too, but it was more of a culmination of changes that led to Thorin doing that stupid shit, and I wanted to see Gwaihir!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    I am a die-hard fan, and I watched all the vlogs multiple times, but I LITERALLY FELL ASLEEP about an hour into the movie.

I rate the first half of the movie a D-
    I rate the second half of the movie an A-

Disappointed? Yeah you could say that.
    You literally fell asleep an hour into the movie? That means you didn't see over half of it. You're giving an A- to sleeping? No wonder you're disappointed, you shouldn't have gone if you prefer sleeping over a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    The Hobbit has gotten miserable ratings because it put in way too much filler content, so much so that the first half of the movie was tiresome. If I was Peter, I would have cut out about 35 minutes worth of footage. I am a die-hard fan, and I watched all the vlogs multiple times, but I LITERALLY FELL ASLEEP about an hour into the movie.

I rate the first half of the movie a D-
    I rate the second half of the movie an A-

Disappointed? Yeah you could say that.
    They're actually making a Weakling Edition (or something along those lines) that cuts off 35 minutes, and EE that adds 25 minutes.
    Since I would only ever watch LOTR in EE version, I was happy that I didn't need to wait an year for the real movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Meh, a lot of unneeded extras in there. While I didn't mind Radagast, it takes A LOT away from Beorn, and what makes him extremely special. Also, did they really have to put the whole Azog chasing aspect into the movie? I mean shit, why can't they have an adventure turn sour because of bad luck, but no, some underlying evil dude has to be there (I mean shit, Azog dies in the battle where Thorin's father dies). So that made no sense to me.

Also, the reason Gandalf wanted the company to go to Rivendell was because of the threat of Dol Guldur and the Necromancer (Sauron), they had a white council to discuss it. Kinda like the One Ring in LOTR. They didn't all meet there by chance. How Gandalf got the the key, and learned of Sauron in Dol Guldur was of importance. Radagast took that away as well.

The end bothered me too, but it was more of a culmination of changes that led to Thorin doing that stupid shit, and I wanted to see Gwaihir!
    Yeah, Jackson changed a lot of stuff that didn't need to be changed, in my opinion at least.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    word on the street is that the movie is really slow and bloated for the first 2 hours and then the last 45 minutes kicks up in gear.

also a lot of people say its fellow ship of the ring version 2.0

is this true?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    is this true?
    Meh... Opinions will vary I'm sure. I liked it but wasn't terribly impressed. It did remind me of the first LOTR a lot but it should because its from PJ too. I think my biggest recomendation would be to actually not see it at 48fps. Supposedly that makes the CGI bits much more noticeable or something.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    Saw it in 48fps last week. Annoying to watch like that, it really detracts the film feel. The movie itself was great, i'm watchnig it again in propper 24fps next week i'm expecting it to look excelent, i personally don't consider myself having watched it yet, 48fps is good for TV, not good for film. We're too used to the motion blur.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was an average movie, hope the next is better.

15+ Year Old Account
    is this true?
    Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. I couldn't understand the criticism at all of the movie feeling slow in the beginning. If anything it felt slow towards the end. I've read tons of stuff about the singing sections being long, the dinner being too long, etc. and absolutely none of it felt like that. The capture then escape formula that takes place like 5 times in the Hobbit book is a little wearing in movie format and that is with the biggest capture and escape scene to go.

word on the street is that the movie is really slow and bloated for the first 2 hours and then the last 45 minutes kicks up in gear.

also a lot of people say its fellow ship of the ring version 2.0

is this true?
    I can somewhat agree with this. I still enjoyed the movie though. So I don't care.

Awesome movie, just saw it. One of the best movies this year to be honest.

I'm really excited for part 2 aswell as everyone else is!
    Last edited by Harnace; 2012-12-22 at 12:42 AM.

I thought it was really good. Sure they changed stuff around but I'll give PJ the benefit of the doubt. I saw the HFR (48fps) and I fail to see what everyone is complaining about. It didn't seem odd at all to me. Maybe I'm just used to watching blurays on 240hz but the movie looked good. I never noticed any fake looking CGI or bad prosthetics. The only things that ever looked off to me was a few of the 3D effects at the very edge of the screen during a few parts.

I think the beginning of the movie was the best part. The entire meeting all the Dwarves and Bilbo trying to play host.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw it in 48 fps, was definitely worth the extra money. I'm guessing the 48 fps is just weird for some people. Personally, I love the crisp look of high frame rates. Regarding the pacing, I thought it was perfectly fine. I'm definitely looking forward to the next one and I hope the Bluray has the hfr version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

The only pacing issue I had was with the orc chase right after trolls.

It just felt unecessary and wasn't even in books. The whole Azog sub-plot was un-needed.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Did anyone else notice Gandalf and Bilbo moving unnaturally fast at the beginning of the movie in 48 fps? I noticed it and heard quite a few people mention it during the break (yeah we had one) The 48fps was great in the action scenes, but for normal movement it sometimes looked like they just sped up things.

As far as pacing goes I didn't mind. I did find a few of the chase/action scenes unnecessary, perhaps PJ could have skipped one for character development so I at least remembered the face of each dwarf.