Poll: Dwarf

Saw the film a second time now, in 48fps and I would say it makes a huge difference. The clarity of scenes whenever the camera is moving, or the characters are engaged in flurries of action is infinitely superior to 24fps. The CGI is less noticeable and looks more natural, even the white orc seems to fit in more realistically when everything around him is moving at a higher speed. Yes it does seem odd to watch at first, but I found myself paying attention to individual sword swings and finer details that are normally a blurred mess at 24fps. It's almost shocking to realise just how much is lost at 24fps and that it's been the norm for so so long.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    A week ago or so, they released a preview picture from the next movie and it showed Bilbo in a pile of gold looking surprised/scared, so unless Smaug is in both 2nd and 3rd movie they'll face him in the 2nd. For those with FB, check the official Hobbit page :>

Just saw the movie for the fifth time, but the first time with 48 fps. After reading a couple of reviews here I was expecting things to move fast, and I instantly noticed that when Bilbo is looking through his chest for his book he moved faster than before.. and after that it felt like I've always watched it in 48 fps. Nothing distracting/annoying at all. Only thing that I really noticed that changed (apart from what I just mentioned) is that it was much easier to see what happened during action scenes, which can't be anything but a good thing. No idea what critics are on about.

i was thinking the 2nd movie will be about smaug, and killing him, and the 3rd movie the battle of the five armies? also, got a link to this poster? :P

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 11:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Saw the film a second time now, in 48fps and I would say it makes a huge difference. The clarity of scenes whenever the camera is moving, or the characters are engaged in flurries of action is infinitely superior to 24fps. The CGI is less noticeable and looks more natural, even the white orc seems to fit in more realistically when everything around him is moving at a higher speed. Yes it does seem odd to watch at first, but I found myself paying attention to individual sword swings and finer details that are normally a blurred mess at 24fps. It's almost shocking to realise just how much is lost at 24fps and that it's been the norm for so so long.
    i really wanted to see it in 48fps, but imax cinemas are pretty rare in the uk unless you're in London. i watched it in 3d, was still pretty cool, always takes me about 20mins to get use to the silly glasses though

Smaug will die in movie 2.

Leaving the "Battle of 5 armies" and The Necromancer for part 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i was thinking the 2nd movie will be about smaug, and killing him, and the 3rd movie the battle of the five armies? also, got a link to this poster? :P
    Aye, that's the impression I've got too. They could maybe finish of the fight with Smaug early in the 3rd movie though, like with the Balrog in The Two Towers. Not sure how they'd manage that, but still. ^^
    FB link to the picture. Or just a screenshot here
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Deleted
    Aye, that's the impression I've got too. They could maybe finish of the fight with Smaug early in the 3rd movie though, like with the Balrog in The Two Towers. Not sure how they'd manage that, but still. ^^
    FB link to the picture. Or just a screenshot here

im surprised they are bringing out part 2 so quick.

if they dont kill smaug in part 2, i think they will be cramming too much into part 3, and not a lot will happen in part 2. cant wait either way

Quote Originally Posted by dirk123 View Post

Exactly, btw the opening Smaug sequence was badass. Love that they never showed the dragon, just his carnage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    im surprised they are bringing out part 2 so quick.

if they dont kill smaug in part 2, i think they will be cramming too much into part 3, and not a lot will happen in part 2. cant wait either way
    Hehe, they have probably already shot and made all of part 2 already. When Peter Jackson shot The Lord of the Rings (1-3) they were nearly all done by the time 1 was done.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Hehe, they have probably already shot and made all of part 2 already. When Peter Jackson shot The Lord of the Rings (1-3) they were nearly all done by the time 1 was done.
    IIRC they WERE all done and they went back to shoot some extended edition stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    If you checked all the behind the movie scenes from the extended Blueray you see they shot from 1999 till 2002 with a few breaks inbetween and in 2003 they went back too new zealand too reshoot some scenes and film some more scenes that didnt fit in quite good when they where busy putting the movie together. so infact when The Two Towers went in premiere The Return Of the King wasnt finished yet.

For example when they shot the scenes for Helmdeep and build the whole fortress they took it down again only too notice they didnt shoot all the scenes right and also missed some scenes so they had to rebuild parts of the fortress again just with haste to get it done before the last movie editing to get it ready for the premiere.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2012-12-31 at 10:47 AM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account

If that's the case, then those who found that An Unexpected Journey was slow paced will find the second movie to be too fast and filled. Beorn, Mirkwood with the spiders, the escape from the Elven King's palace, the trip in the barrels to Laketown, the travel to Erebor, Bilbo's encounter with Smaug, the Battle against Smaug and however they choose to end it. While the third movie wont have much material. The Necromancer, the armies of Men and Elves lay siege to Erebor, Bilbo's theft of the Arkenstone and flight to the Men and Elves where he meets Gandalf, the Battle of Five Armies, the return of Bilbo. The End. I admit that's much events, but they are not very long (except for the Necromancer and Battle of Five Armies.
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2013-01-01 at 07:41 PM.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

There is still SO much content to cover, and that's just the book content. If you add in all the new (And parts of the story that are being done more in-depth) stuff; Dol'Guldur (Necromancer/Witch King/White Council), Azog, Goblin King ... They have MORE then enough content to span 2 movies with utter ease, especially in typical Peter Jackson fashion. Extremely, extremely glad it's 3 movies.

I, like most, have absolutely no idea where they're going to end movie 2. There's alot of stuff to achieve over the 2 movies but Unexpected Journey ended at a really nice spot to kick off into movie 2. So all I can say is simply don't be worried, PJ will find a suitable place to end it and it will be suitably epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    IIRC they WERE all done and they went back to shoot some extended edition stuff.
    I'm pretty certain that they did all of the actual shooting at the same time and then saved special features like interviews and touching up editing, as well as make changes based on the responses to the previous movie released for the following years.

One thing I just thought of.. does anyone else think its hypocritical how much some critics are bashing The Hobbit for its minute inaccuracies, while they glorified Lord of the Rings as one of the best film series of all time? That series was far, far, far from perfect.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw The Hobbit last Sunday and was very pleased with it. The 48 fps was surprising at first, but I got used to it pretty quick. The movie did not seem too long for me, although some scenes were not as good is I expected, and those were the ones showing events that were added to the book. I'm disappointed, because I really anticipated some of those additions, like the White Council's meeting. However, I liked very much how they showed Erebor and Dale in their golden age. Erebor was impressive, and Jackson managed to depict a pretty decent Dale with its many bells (which is one of the only things we know of that city's architecture). Smaug's onslaught was also very impressive. I don't know why they added Azog, he seems a pretty weak addition. He could not be there and the story would be mostly unchanged. At least for now. And Gandalf's question remains unanswered : how did he know about the dwarves' journey? The riddles in the dark were well played, and in a more dynamic way that is more consistent with the Gollum we know from LotR.

I liked Martin Freeman as Bilbo. As for the the Dwarves, only three get real attention, but it is to be expected when you have thirteen characters to devellop. So Thorin, Balin and Bofur got more attention in this movie. Of the three, I really liked Bofur (especially when he describes the effects of a dragon's breath...). Fili and Kili seems like the Merry and Pippin of the group. They had some attention in this movie, but I bet we will see much more of them since we know they will both die in the Battle of Five Armies. Rhadagast was funny, made to please a younger audience, but the bird poop was a little too much. We should see him again in the next movies, since he's part of the White Council. Hugo Weaving managed to play a far better Elrond than he did in LotR.

So, all in all it was a pretty good flick, that does not deserve some of the lukewarm critics it recieved. Now, I will have to wait 12 long months before the next episode.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Watched the movie again. During the part where Bilbo is giving the history of Erebor, they do show female dwarves. But, my previous comment seems to have been false. I originally mentioned this, that they showed female dwarves and they had NO beards. Alas, I was wrong. They do have beards, but they are fairly wispy and sparse (more so than Ori's beard), but it looks like they don't have mustaches.

Still a very great movie.

That's what I was thinking too. Though I hope they make the death Smaug more epic than it was in the book. I realize it was the culmination of a bunch of things but it was just so...sudden in the book.

The movie seemed a little too "fun" to me. It wasn't so much a gloom and doom like lotr. But then the book is pretty much just like that. I just hope they get the feel of the forest more dark and foreboding.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    The movie seemed a little too "fun" to me. It wasn't so much a gloom and doom like lotr. But then the book is pretty much just like that. I just hope they get the feel of the forest more dark and foreboding.
    Since the book got darker and more serious the longer they went on their journey, I hope and think that it will be shown in the upcoming movies too.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Since the book got darker and more serious the longer they went on their journey, I hope and think that it will be shown in the upcoming movies too.
    They did the same for LotR trilogy so I'd assume it gets a bit more serious as they progress to its climax.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm such a happy camper, they could do so much with this universe. New Zealand is beautiful too, I actually want to go there and just scale those mountains.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Loved the movie so much. Saw it in 3D and it made me feel like a kid again. Did anyone else feel like they were watching the "Warcraft Movie" at the beginning with the dwarf intro, both me and bro said dude this feels like "iron Forge"

Quote Originally Posted by jdbjr3314 View Post
    Loved the movie so much. Saw it in 3D and it made me feel like a kid again. Did anyone else feel like they were watching the "Warcraft Movie" at the beginning with the dwarf intro, both me and bro said dude this feels like "iron Forge"
    Guess what Ironforge was based on?