Poll: Dwarf

am i the only one who is bothered by every orc being 2 meters tall? considering in source material orcs reaching 1.70 considered very tall and terrifying , most of the foot soldiers of uruks would be around 1.60 and regular orcs would be alot less, considering orcs outnumbered them 1 to 3 , you would think it would be impossible to win without better fighting force..

also the portrayal of lake men also sucked hard , they were all shown as peasants and fisherman , there were like 200-300 of them at most , but in the source material they were the largest portion of the allied army numbered between 2-3 thousand , they were also better fighters and were better equipped , considering they were living in one of the most dangerous places of the time and had just fought off a dragon bravely (unlike shown in the movies) they deserved more credit in my opinion

the ending also lacked alot of closure , they didnt say who became the king under the mountain , they didnt say what bard did with his people , they didnt tell arkenstone's fate etc..

Edit: almost forgot , thorins and companions part in the battle was also terribly done , and beorns deeds were also forgotten
    Last edited by Anaralah; 2014-12-24 at 03:43 PM.

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaralah View Post
    am i the only one who is bothered by every orc being 2 meters tall? considering in source material orcs reaching 1.70 considered very tall and terrifying , most of the foot soldiers of uruks would be around 1.60 and regular orcs would be alot less, considering orcs outnumbered them 1 to 3 , you would think it would be impossible to win without better fighting force..

also the portrayal of lake men also sucked hard , they were all shown as peasants and fisherman , there were like 200-300 of them at most , but in the source material they were the largest portion of the allied army numbered between 2-3 thousand , they were also better fighters and were better equipped , considering they were living in one of the most dangerous places of the time and had just fought off a dragon bravely (unlike shown in the movies) they deserved more credit in my opinion

the ending also lacked alot of closure , they didnt say who became the king under the mountain , they didnt say what bard did with his people , they didnt tell arkenstone's fate etc..

Edit: almost forgot , thorins and companions part in the battle was also terribly done , and beorns deeds were also forgotten
    Well it wouldn't be the first time PJ ignored the source material in order to have more scenes with elves. (battle of Helm's Deep)

i also went wtf at the end when thranduil sent legolas to find aragorn , considering he was a 10 years old kid living in rivendell having no idea of his own true identity..

10+ Year Old Account
    And so, 13 years later, ends one chapter of my life. Dem feels...the void in my heart...

Finally got around to seeing this. Pretty much what I had expected. 5/10

Favorite quotes of the night
    "If this is what love feels like I don't want it"
    "Legolas, your mother loved you"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    While I agree in general that CGI is clearly visible I do not for the life of me understand the praise of the LotR CGI vs the Hobbit CGI. Both the original trilogy and the Hobbit trilogy is a mix of very great looking CGI in some parts mixed with absolutely horrible CGI in other parts. The prime example of the OT would be the ghost army, it looks awful.

Anyways, this movie is not awful in any way. It's an average movie that gets dragged down by too much cringe-worthy moments and pointless comedic filler. I'm positive that there lies a great movie buried in this if you include the EE material and remove the schlock. A fan edit of BotfA could be really awesome.
    LOTR trilogy used alot less CGI. Most of the hand to hand combat in LOTR was with two actors suited up. In the Hobbit often times you had 1 or both fighters being CGI.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    Finally got around to seeing this. Pretty much what I had expected. 5/10

Favorite quotes of the night
    "If this is what love feels like I don't want it"
    "Legolas, your mother loved you"

- - - Updated - - -

LOTR trilogy used alot less CGI. Most of the hand to hand combat in LOTR was with two actors suited up. In the Hobbit often times you had 1 or both fighters being CGI.
    I believe the Ironborn? cousin of Thorin was completely CGI. It was really distracting and kind of obvious. I don't get why they did him completely cgi?

10+ Year Old Account
    Overall a good movie for me, but some scenes were really cringeworthy.

Oh how I hated every scene with that stupid, annoying, unnecessary Alfred. Totally pointless. He did not even die in the end like he deserved. Had that happened I would be a little bit less furious about his existence.
    About the dwarf-elf-love-thing has been enough talk already...
    The task for Legolas to find Aragorn was also so fucking obviously just there to make a connection to LotR for even the stupidest person in the audience it physically hurt watching it. "He is known as Strider, but his real name you have to find out on your own" ...Just kill me already....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cptaylor38 View Post
    I believe the Ironborn? cousin of Thorin was completely CGI. It was really distracting and kind of obvious. I don't get why they did him completely cgi?
    I don't think Dain himself was anymore CGI than any of the other Dwarfs, but all his soldiers were, when they were lining up against the Orcs, just before the Elves jumped over them, you could see a perfect line of soldiers just standing in the background in the most painfully obvious CGI way possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    I don't think Dain himself was anymore CGI than any of the other Dwarfs, but all his soldiers were, when they were lining up against the Orcs, just before the Elves jumped over them, you could see a perfect line of soldiers just standing in the background in the most painfully obvious CGI way possible.
    Dain was indeed CGI'd in, it was pretty obvious. Maybe Connoly couldn't do the fight scenes?

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: Apparently (just from Reddit), Connoly's Parkinson's disease meant he couldn't remember his lines on-set. So he recorded them at home in stead and then Dain was CGI'd in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Dain was indeed CGI'd in, it was pretty obvious. Maybe Connoly couldn't do the fight scenes?

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: Apparently (just from Reddit), Connoly's Parkinson's disease meant he couldn't remember his lines on-set. So he recorded them at home in stead and then Dain was CGI'd in.
    Ah that sucks for him. That said I didn't really notice it, there were far worse offenders in the film that even someone like me who doesn't really care about poor CGI unless it sticks out like a sore thumb could notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post

- - - Updated - - -

That sucks. Understandable, but considering how big Dain is in the series, they at least could've tried not to make him look like a cartoon character from a Dreamworks animation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaralah View Post
    i also went wtf at the end when thranduil sent legolas to find aragorn , considering he was a 10 years old kid living in rivendell having no idea of his own true identity..
    I KNOW!!! I was like "he isn't that old yet is he?" But going off of movie timeline instead of book timeline he would be 27 I'm thinking. Since PJ doesn't take into account Frodo having the ring for a good while before Gandolf sends him on the quest. That would shorten the time difference from the Hobbit and the fellowship. If I'm doing my math right and remembering from the book right Frodo had the ring for YEARS before the quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I KNOW!!! I was like "he isn't that old yet is he?" But going off of movie timeline instead of book timeline he would be 27 I'm thinking. Since PJ doesn't take into account Frodo having the ring for a good while before Gandolf sends him on the quest. That would shorten the time difference from the Hobbit and the fellowship. If I'm doing my math right and remembering from the book right Frodo had the ring for YEARS before the quest.
    Time jumping in films and television doesn't really work; when reading a book it's okay because you can stop and take it all in, but in a format such as TV and movies where you can't pause and think about it, your rushed to accept the fact and it becomes jarring.

I love this film it was really amazing and I'm kinda sad that it would be the last. I'm a big LOTR fan, I have a 7 years old boy named Rohan and a 3 years old girl named Arwen. I'm not planning to have another baby anytime soon LOL but people are asking what would I name my future babies, if it's a boy Faramir if it's a girl it would be Galadriel

Quote Originally Posted by Lita Rennold View Post
    I love this film it was really amazing and I'm kinda sad that it would be the last. I'm a big LOTR fan, I have a 7 years old boy named Rohan and a 3 years old girl named Arwen. I'm not planning to have another baby anytime soon LOL but people are asking what would I name my future babies, if it's a boy Faramir if it's a girl it would be Galadriel
    That's fucking sad.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Deleted
    Love how Jackson is anti franchise and technology and stuff, but is only known because of a milked out franchise and shit tons of technology.

Oh Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    That's fucking sad.
    Indeed, it's much better to name your child Steve because it's a boring "normal" name that fits in with the rest of the boring "normal" names.

Lots of actors vs cartoons in this series. I liked the orc/goblin costumes in the lot movies.

Deleted
    After watching the Battle of the Five Armies... Peter Jackson better direct more Middle Earth movies! Or else!! Or else Id be really disappointed That movie was just perfect. We got to see another side on Thranduil.. and a side at least I personally loved. The dorfs were more than perfect and the movie was really enjoyable in general.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Erm..that was George Lucas....
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/dir...ven-hollywood/

Not really. Though everyone knows Lucas is crazy too.