Poll: Dwarf

In retrospect, I'm trying to find at least something positive to say about the hobbit movies but I can't think of anything outside of Gollum scene or Smaug talking.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Martin Freeman was an outstanding Bilbo. Better than LOTR's hobbits imo ( maybe Pippin is close ).

Richard Armitage was spot on, too.

Lee Pace was fabulous as fuck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    In retrospect, I'm trying to find at least something positive to say about the hobbit movies but I can't think of anything outside of Gollum scene or Smaug talking.
    The soundtrack was on par with the best scores with tracks like: "My dear Frodo", "Roast Mutton", "An ancient enemy", "Girion Lord Dale", "Sons of Durin", "Mithril" and many others. This movie has one of the best photografy you will see in any other of its kind or in any movie in general. The cast was also excepcional and the acting was thrilling. I can tell you a lot of things this movie had that were outstanding but, in the end, it didn´t cover what some people wanted to see. It happens when directors make "their versions" of the books. Wich I think is a good thing to do and maybe people should value what the movie is and wanted to be rather than their expectations. At least if you really want to give and objetive review of the movie instead of saying: "It is is bad."
    Last edited by mmoc6be59f45c9; 2015-05-21 at 06:11 PM.

Peter fixed a lot of things from the books. Thranduil and the dwarves actually had a personality instead of being random characters.

In the books no dwarf does anything relevant apart from Bombur sleeping, Kili and Fili dying and Thorin losing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Peter fixed a lot of things from the books. Thranduil and the dwarves actually had a personality instead of being random characters.

In the books no dwarf does anything relevant apart from Bombur sleeping, Kili and Fili dying and Thorin losing it.
    I think that Jackson also defines Thorin´s objetive in taking the mountain in a way the book didn´t. I think Peter´s Thorin is more interesting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanish4ever View Post
    I think that Jackson also defines Thorin´s objetive in taking the mountain in a way the book didn´t. I think Peter´s Thorin is more interesting.
    All the Dwarves are more interesting, in the book they are literally a name with perhaps a single line of dialogue, beyond Thorin, and maybe Balin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    All the Dwarves are more interesting, in the book they are literally a name with perhaps a single line of dialogue, beyond Thorin, and maybe Balin.
    This is true, one of the things the movies did well was give the dwarfs identities, I had no emotional attachment to the dwarfs in the book, although the last time I read the book was back in 2003 :P

I personally didnt mind the Hobbit movies, loved them, not as good as the LotR trilogy obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Jeremy is right; the Hobbit films is pretty much LOTR's version of the Star Wars prequels. The sheer awfulness of it borderlines legendary.
    I wouldnt go that far, they are no where being that bad, more like Spiderman 3 to the other Spiderman movies :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Yeah. Like in the book when Kili and Fili dies

In the films at least I knew the guys, though if they cut out Tauriel and that ridiculous romance plot they could've added even more development to Kili.

- - - Updated - - -

So if I were the director of the movies this is what I would've done:

- Non-CGI orcs ( I really liked LOTR's more, but it's not one of my BIG chagrins )

- More Beorn

- No Willhelm Screams ( goddamnit! )

- Made Tauriel into a character Legolas has a crush on, she loves him back but they can't be together 'cuz royalty. They're still close friends. She convinces him to help the Humans/Dwarves and they do all they do in the films. Bolg kills her instead of Kili. She's the driving force behind Legolas' wish to join the Fellowship many years later. Her sacrifice and '' It is our fight '' thingie inspires Legolas and makes him realise Elves should meddle in the affairs of mortals if it protects the world.

- No Legolas defying gravity. I'm all for awesome Orlando Bloom ( btw they should've kept his eyes brown I know it was a mistake in the original trilogy that they forgot the contacts but he looks better with brown eyes ) scenes, but that was too much.

- Kili, Fili and Thorin all fight Azog. I'm not mad that he isn't dead in the movies, it's not that big of a deal and it's easier to use a known character than create one from scrap. ( Lurtz was pretty cool for instance ).

- Legolas and Thranduil HAVE TO have a scene where they fight together. That's one fabulous father/son team. Legolas leaves Mirkwood at the end of the movie to travel with Aragorn ( in the LOTR cinematic universe Frodo didn't keep the ring for 17 years until he left. Aragorn is older during Battle of the Five Armies ) because of Tauriel inspiring him. He realises the world is bigger than Mirkwood and Elves still have a role to play.
    Last edited by pateuvasiliu; 2015-05-22 at 04:01 PM.

Deleted
    - Alfrid´s character was a waste after the development from Desolation. They should had have done something different with him.

Scrapped altogether. More Thranduil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Things I liked about the Hobbit trilogy:

As others have mentioned, I liked how the dwarves got a little more individuality and personality (pity that they then got lost amongst all the flash, battle and CGI).

The Unexpected Party and subsequent song were damn near perfect (pity the rest of the films couldn't have stayed at that level).

I liked the Gandalf v. Sauron battle. (The White Council v. Sauron, not so much.)

I liked the detail of Bilbo putting on the Ring being what allows him to understand the spiders.

Turning Barrels out of Bond into an action scene was inappropriate, but I did giggle at the over-the-top silliness of it all.

Thranduil was (with the exception of some fight-silliness that affected the whole last film) also damn near perfect.

It was nice to see a competent female elf besides Galadriel, even though I think her arc could have been far, far better.

The bit where Thorin "defeats" Azog by simply giving him the rock and stepping off the ice was, on its own, great.

I think Martin Freeman did a pretty good Bilbo, including the scene with Gollum (when he was actually on-screen and playing his character, something that happened less and a less as the trilogy went on).

That's, um, pretty much it, sadly. Problems include: inappropriate action galore, many grossly mishandled parts (Beorn, and Mirkwood being the ones that most leap out), almost everything about Smaug (except his voice), the gratuitous stupidity of BotFA, a weak White Council vs. Sauron scene, a Radagast that was close enough to being right that it was actively painful that he wasn't, and the whole thing feeling like butter scraped over too much bread.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    Gotta say, looking back on it now, the first one is easily my favourite out of all 3

I think I like the first the most as well. The 2nd and 3rd tried to fit too many characters in.

Bilbo, Gandalf and Thorin are all imposing characters that steal the scene.

But when you add Saruman, Galadriel, Elrond, Thranduil, Legolas into the mix it's a bit too much.

I enjoyed all the Hobbit movies, however not as much as The Lord of the Rings. My overall issue with the Hobbit is CG... Fucking CG everywhere and it looks bad, it's gonna look so dated in a couple of years, it's not even good CG either... They even CG'd some of the actors like Billy Connolly. Costumes, real sets and live action just looks so much better than CG and for me it spoiled the movies, they just looked too fake.

Even so, I still really liked em.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I enjoyed all the Hobbit movies, however not as much as The Lord of the Rings. My overall issue with the Hobbit is CG... Fucking CG everywhere and it looks bad, it's gonna look so dated in a couple of years, it's not even good CG either... They even CG'd some of the actors like Billy Connolly. Costumes, real sets and live action just looks so much better than CG and for me it spoiled the movies, they just looked too fake.

Even so, I still really liked em.
    Wasn't DAIN CGI'd because the guy got sick or something?

But yes, I agree that LOTR had better visuals and better orcs/trolls. They looked more... real.

Deleted
    I thought CGI was very impresive, in fact it was so above average that some scenes wich were below made more noise than the rest. Amon hen is a really good fight scene but Lord of the rings has a lot of CGI and honestly if you watch the movies twice you´ll see some really weird parts like the warg battle, some parts of helms deep, moria, and so on. But again, for me both movies rock so I am a happy viewer.

Deleted
    I didn't actually mind the CGI, I liked the fact that it made everything look a bit shinier, the only thing that bothered me was the really really obvious uses of it (pretty much the entire 3rd movie).

Deleted
    The extended edition came out, here are the main things I have notice that were new:

-We get to see a fight between elves and drawfs, the dwarfs manage to kill several elves with their ballistas.

-A scene with Bofur and Bilbo before he sneaks to Dale to give the Arkenstone.

-The main battle has been extended quite a bit, with a lot more trolls and such. Dwarf cavalry with goats is a thing now.

-The chariot is well, I think it was hilarius it had like this machine gun that shot arrors in the front of the vehicle and there was also a reference to the movie Lethal Weapon, yeap, you heard that right, there is a reference to Lethal Weapon in The Hobbit. I think they kill like 100 or 150 orcs on scene with that vehicle. There are also more trolls, and you see all the dwarfs from Thorin´s company fight more, even the guy with the axe on his head.

-THORINS FUNERAL!! and Dain´s coronation are there and it´s just the scene that had to had the theatrical version.

-We get what we wanted, Alfrid dies, in a fun way.

-10 more seconds of Beorn... and five of them are in human form

There are some other short scenes here and there, but overall the extended edition just made the movie more fun to watch, it really doesn´t add anything, it just adds things that at least don´t feel force in the movie, I think the extended could have been the threatical version but you know, they pretty much just realease this to get money and it doesn´t change plot in anyway. It is not like a Director´s cut where you can see what the director really wanted to make like with Ridley Scott in Kingdom of Heaven... in the end, it only did justice to Bofur, whom we can see as the main character in around 40% of the new scenes.

It is recommended a legal blue-ray download (wink wink) just for the new action parts.
    Last edited by mmoc6be59f45c9; 2015-10-15 at 07:50 PM.

-The chariot is well, I think it was hilarius it had like this machine gun that shot arrors in the front of the vehicle and there was also a reference to the movie Lethal Weapon, yeap, you heard that right, there is a reference to Lethal Weapon in The Hobbit. I think they kill like 100 or 150 orcs on scene with that vehicle. There are also more trolls, and you see all the dwarfs from Thorin´s company fight more, even the guy with the axe on his head.
    WTH? Jackson butchered Tolkien mythos and introduced machine technology?

Well, it is a stereotypical Hollywood action film...

-10 more seconds of Beorn... and five of them are in human form
    For a somewhat major character in a story with very few characters, I'm still shocked how little screen time Beorn got. Yes, in the book he himself doesn't actually do much, but he gets a fair amount of pages since there's really not many other characters with which to share pages with. Least they could've done was give him a minute or two of thrashing orcs at the mountain, but alas he only gets twenty seconds total...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Nostalgic View Post

WTH? Jackson butchered Tolkien mythos and introduced machine technology?

Well, it is a stereotypical Hollywood action film...

The only thing I´ll say is that it felt authentic but not realistic to Tolkien´s world. It is even better when you see how Balin uses it to kill like twelve wargs.