Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    Are you sure about that? From what I understand, it's 2 cores per module. The 8 core will be 4 Modules, the 6 core will be 3 modules, and the 4 core will be 2 modules. I was also under the impression that each module is treated like 1 core in terms of multi-threading, and further distribution of each thread is done at the chip level per module. That is, the workload of a single thread would be distributed between the two cores within the module it is assigned to.

It is two cores per module.

Proof:

There are 4 FP Schedulers's for each module of 2 cores that have 1 Int Scheduler per modular core.

So that's...
    8 Int Schedulers
    8 Modular Cores
    4 Modules
    4 FP Schedulers
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-06-03 at 12:24 AM.

It's a shame I'm not patient enough to wait. Sandybridge here I come. I do have to admit that having a CPU at 4.0 will be nice since I've never had anything over 2.7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Docphil View Post
    It's a shame I'm not patient enough to wait. Sandybridge here I come. I do have to admit that having a CPU at 4.0 will be nice since I've never had anything over 2.7.
    You mean 4.5, buy an aftermarket cooler and doooo eeeet
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    Are you sure about that? From what I understand, it's 2 cores per module. The 8 core will be 4 Modules, the 6 core will be 3 modules, and the 4 core will be 2 modules. I was also under the impression that each module is treated like 1 core in terms of multi-threading, and further distribution of each thread is done at the chip level per module. That is, the workload of a single thread would be distributed between the two cores within the module it is assigned to.
    This. The split pipes in each module don't show up as 1 core 2 threads like the i7's.

It will show up as 2/2, 4/4, 8/8, etc etc. Dividing the count of threads or cores in half will tell you how many "modules" are in the chip.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok now it's making sense. Just the earlier statement of and 8 core being a quad core made no sense to me as it seems a step backwards as far as tech goes. Now a Quad core being 8 cores to the OS makes sense.

core =/= module