1. #1

    Secondary Stats for Unholy death knight

    Hey guys,


    I am a little confused about the stats for an unholy dk (pve). My prio is like this atm:

    hit>haste=mastery>expertise

    I used to have a 10 expertise and i had to cut down on my mastery from 15 -12 for capping the expertise (it was 10 b4).

    Was is okay to keep the expertise at 10 or is it good that i have done so?

  2. #2
    No sir, exp needs to be 26, hit needs to be 8% and the rest goes into haste. Once you are capped in exp, hit, and have as much haste as possible, then you should take the pieces of gear that have haste on them and reforge the other stat to Mastery (crit and what have you). Hope this helps. If im wrong on anything feel free to correct me.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalavaaris View Post
    No sir, exp needs to be 26, hit needs to be 8% and the rest goes into haste. Once you are capped in exp, hit, and have as much haste as possible, then you should take the pieces of gear that have haste on them and reforge the other stat to Mastery (crit and what have you). Hope this helps. If im wrong on anything feel free to correct me.
    You have not read much into the death knight topics. Haste is the best stat for an Unholy DK, followed up by Mastery. Expertise from what I last heard slightly beats crit. I've always valued Expertise slightly lower because if you get a dodge/parry your runes aren't used and you usually have a gcd or two every so often that it doesn't hurt anything due to the way the rune's regen.

    The way I've been gearing mine is

    8% Hit -> Haste -> Mastery -> Expertise (take whatever is on gear and reforge this stat) -> Crit

  4. #4
    so you are telling that its not needed to cap of expertise, and that i lost dps by making mastery to exp?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by obscurede View Post
    so you are telling that its not needed to cap of expertise, and that i lost dps by making mastery to exp?
    Expertise isn't very useful for an unholy DK with a lot of haste. If you get dodged/parried, it won't cost any runes and your GCD is low enough to where it won't make a difference.

  6. #6
    Hit -> Expertise as hit also works towards your spells (deathcoil, diseases etc). Expertise ain't a bad stat at all tbh, and i'd place it at least at the side of mastery. Yes, you have alot of haste, which also boosts white damage by quite a margin. I'd not reforge away expertise for mastery, but i'd not reforge mastery for expertise either..If you get what i'm saying.

  7. #7
    Dreadlord Dilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    795
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but unholy hasn't cared about capping expertise in 2 years or more.
    Retired wow player after 7 years.
    IT Technician by trade.

  8. #8
    Strength > Hit to Cap > Haste > Mastery > Expertise to Cap > Crit > Agility

  9. #9
    Strenght>haste>mastery>hit to cap> expertise to cap>crit.. i know everyone says hit, but i tried that and lost dps, and if i miss i dont lose runes, no? and i get free GCDs anyway, so? and this set up gave me better dps so..
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by FredMaHead View Post
    Strength > Hit to Cap > Haste > Mastery > Expertise to Cap > Crit > Agility
    This is the proper stat priority.

    But keep in mind, the better your gear becomes and the closer you get to being gcd locked, the more valuable expertise becomes. Just saying.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...gwraith/simple (8/8 H T13; 7/7 H T12 - F.U. Ragnaros)
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingwraith View Post
    This is the proper stat priority.

    But keep in mind, the better your gear becomes and the closer you get to being gcd locked, the more valuable expertise becomes. Just saying.
    Also note anybody who has to ask on mmo-champ how to gear isn't going to be reaching the point where it matters...

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Needonboots View Post
    Also note anybody who has to ask on mmo-champ how to gear isn't going to be reaching the point where it matters...
    You'd think that, but I've seen some people here in near BIS gear ask some really retarded questions.
    Never underestimate the power of being carried.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...gwraith/simple (8/8 H T13; 7/7 H T12 - F.U. Ragnaros)
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

  13. #13
    Grunt
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    A plane of existence not visible to the physical eye.
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalavaaris View Post
    Hope this helps. If im wrong on anything feel free to correct me.
    If you were uncertain of the stats, I'm not sure why you bothered to post at all. The OP was asking for a clear answer and you did nothing but steer him in the wrong direction.

    OP: The reason STR (AP), hit, and haste are valued so highly are because they directly affect the DPS of your minions (and considering the percentage of your overall damage the ghoul, particularly, contributes to makes them so). If you have any proc items related to STR (AP) and haste you should try to summon your minions then to optimize their stats for the life of their summon.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by the lich knough View Post
    Strenght>haste>mastery>hit to cap> expertise to cap>crit.. i know everyone says hit, but i tried that and lost dps, and if i miss i dont lose runes, no? and i get free GCDs anyway, so? and this set up gave me better dps so..
    the reason why hit rating is good while expertise isnt so much is for the facts that:

    1. hit applies for melee attacks as well as for your "spells" (a missed dc is completely lost for example) while expertise only applies for melee attacks
    2. hit applies for your ghouls chance to hit AND for his expertise (and your ghouls energy / cd is lost if he misses / gets dodged) while expertise does exactly nothing for your ghoul


    your statement that you do more dps with haste > hit is probably made up

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    You have not read much into the death knight topics. Haste is the best stat for an Unholy DK, followed up by Mastery. Expertise from what I last heard slightly beats crit. I've always valued Expertise slightly lower because if you get a dodge/parry your runes aren't used and you usually have a gcd or two every so often that it doesn't hurt anything due to the way the rune's regen.

    The way I've been gearing mine is

    8% Hit -> Haste -> Mastery -> Expertise (take whatever is on gear and reforge this stat) -> Crit
    you always get your caps
    look at recount SS and SS/shadow are your top 2 damageing abilities (at least for me they are)
    SS/shadow does not happen if your SS/physical is dodged / parried so put 2 + 2 together. Even if the 'elitists' and 'theroycrafters' say its a dps loss i favor the style seeing as how i burn white hot with rage when my abilities do not land on a boss.
    Plus this allows me to freely switch to frost and dps where the cap is needed more
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    you always get your caps
    look at recount SS and SS/shadow are your top 2 damageing abilities (at least for me they are)
    SS/shadow does not happen if your SS/physical is dodged / parried so put 2 + 2 together. Even if the 'elitists' and 'theroycrafters' say its a dps loss i favor the style seeing as how i burn white hot with rage when my abilities do not land on a boss.
    Plus this allows me to freely switch to frost and dps where the cap is needed more
    If your SS gets dodged you just use it again for no more cost than a GCD.
    It's ok to soft cap Expertise if you really feel that way (and to have it ready for Frost) but don't even
    try to say that it's a DPS increase for Unholy when it's been proven over and over again that other secondary stats (besides Crit) yield better DPS.

    And while I'm at it, you might aswell just switch to full time Frost if you have the spec and stats for it.

  17. #17
    the reason for not capping expertise as it actually takes reading up on math and not just looking at a priority list.

    Ghoul receives hit and expertise from your hit % only.

    example: you are at 7.99% hit on your toon. your ghoul is at 7% hit and approx 21 expertise * works in even numbers. 8% hit on toon would = 8% on ghoul and 26 expertise.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    the reason for not capping expertise as it actually takes reading up on math and not just looking at a priority list.

    Ghoul receives hit and expertise from your hit % only.

    example: you are at 7.99% hit on your toon. your ghoul is at 7% hit and approx 21 expertise * works in even numbers. 8% hit on toon would = 8% on ghoul and 26 expertise.
    Pretty sure they fixed the terrible rounding with Ghoul Hit, 7.99% hit should be 7.99% Hit for the Ghoul.

  19. #19
    People claim disinterest in expertise as Unholy, but I do feel that the first... 13 point of expertise, maybe, can actually be quite nice. So, I want to ask:

    If you could create every single stat on your gear, would you really choose to build a high haste build without a single point of expertise?

    I'm not sure 0 expertise would be the best thing here.
    Last edited by TOMGC; 2011-06-06 at 02:58 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •