1. #4101
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenkex View Post
    Yes it is piss poor design, this isnt minecraft where you need to create challenge for yourself, a lot of things in the game are done with balance in mind, and some of those things worked out, the things that other poster posted didnt work out. How he couldve known whats gonna be overpowered and what isnt? He was just trying to play effectively and just went the obvious path, he couldnt have known what would be the result. I know its a bad comparison, and it is singleplayer game, but you wouldnt really get any noticable advantage by having max crafting skill in wow, and as wow players its not a surprise we would have similar mindset in another rpg.
    Exactly.. a WoW mindset, you start up skyrim and immediately grind professions? Lol. Learn how to play a single player RPG is all I gotta say..

  2. #4102
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeshka View Post
    skyrim isn't good or well known for good gameplay it's popular for the exploration and RP possiblities. And by RP it doesn't mean stuff like narrative, character development, dialogue or lore.

    in your opinion.
    Strangely enough, I DO play an RPG for its RP possibilities, and for MY RP, I don't feel spending hours making daggers and enchanting them, purely to be able to make the best armour and weapons possible, as early as possible, is a valid choice - I'd LIKE to be able to make and repair more than I can, but I simply have too much else to do, so I just potter along, gradually increasing THOSE skills as and when I get a chance to, or have some stuff I picked up doing something else that I can practice on... I'm in my mid 30s, with fairly mediocre skills even in those that I use a lot, because I changed my mind about what armour/weapons to use - but hey - that's life, real or virtual, and I'm not enraged by the fact I'm not perfect (again - real or virtual :-) )
    YOU want to do it differently and complain about it? - fine, it's your game, do what you want. You don't think Skyrim is a good game? great, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's, just don't expect everyone to share it... Skyrim isn't perfect, has bugs and faults, but I've sacrificed well over 100 hours of my REAL life to it so far, and I imagine there's more to come - I dare say I may burn out sooner or later - but I know if I go back to it I'll probably be re-enthused by the additions/tweaks and changes of all the modders out there - and THAT is one reason why we love games like these - you can play the game as you want to - and still have the community support to minimise the niggles that would otherwise become annoying...
    You don't share the enthusiasm? Fine - but stop demanding that everyone else is somehow deficient for not being persuaded by your arguments.

  3. #4103
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    If anyone remembers agrmonster and his insanely funny Fallout 3 videos, it looks like hes started uploading for Skyrim!






    I don't get what's funny about these? The second one is just random stuff, he spawned some mobs and dragons to attack and it's supposed to be hilarious. I mean even the Skyrim werechair videos have much more creativity than that. I mean it's just the normal opening scene, only he got it bugged by using console commands and not even in a funny way. Whats next? Spawn 10 bandits in a town and watch them kill the merchants or something -.-

    ---------- Post added 2011-12-08 at 10:18 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by helicaon View Post
    in your opinion.
    Strangely enough, I DO play an RPG for its RP possibilities, and for MY RP, I don't feel spending hours making daggers and enchanting them, purely to be able to make the best armour and weapons possible, as early as possible, is a valid choice - I'd LIKE to be able to make and repair more than I can, but I simply have too much else to do, so I just potter along, gradually increasing THOSE skills as and when I get a chance to, or have some stuff I picked up doing something else that I can practice on... I'm in my mid 30s, with fairly mediocre skills even in those that I use a lot, because I changed my mind about what armour/weapons to use - but hey - that's life, real or virtual, and I'm not enraged by the fact I'm not perfect (again - real or virtual :-) )
    YOU want to do it differently and complain about it? - fine, it's your game, do what you want. You don't think Skyrim is a good game? great, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's, just don't expect everyone to share it... Skyrim isn't perfect, has bugs and faults, but I've sacrificed well over 100 hours of my REAL life to it so far, and I imagine there's more to come - I dare say I may burn out sooner or later - but I know if I go back to it I'll probably be re-enthused by the additions/tweaks and changes of all the modders out there - and THAT is one reason why we love games like these - you can play the game as you want to - and still have the community support to minimise the niggles that would otherwise become annoying...
    You don't share the enthusiasm? Fine - but stop demanding that everyone else is somehow deficient for not being persuaded by your arguments.
    First off, I want to say I absolutely love Skyrim but I still don't agree with you. The smithing thing would be what I'd consider a flaw in the game. It's like in real life, you can't just get unlimited money like that. It should be possible and not possible, if you know what I mean. Basically, yes, you could be able to spam daggers but it should either

    -smithing items should take time and you should go hungry.. so you can do it but you'd have to spend a lot on the food too to balance things out
    -no option to wait or waiting has negative impacts so 1-2 hours wouldn't do anything but if you wait 2 days for stores to restock, it's not very realistic and you should die or lose skills or something:P
    -daggers should just reward less skill than more material costly items and spamming merchants with similar items should just lower their price. I mean would you, buy 200 iron daggers, enchanted with stamina drain, if you were a merchant? Didn't think so..
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

  4. #4104
    Tbh when you made a dagger or 5 it should just stop giving you any Blacksmith points at all. "Oh hai, I just made a million daggers so I guess I'm good enough to make the best shit this world has ever seeeeeeeeeeen." Right.

    Thank god I don't give a crap about BS or Enchanting on my Nord.

  5. #4105
    Bloodsail Admiral Orodoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ridgeland, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,183
    If you havent done the Dark Brotherhood questline, I HIGHLY suggest doing it! That was the most fun I've ever had in an Elder Scrolls game. The amount of immersion you have in this DB chain is far superior to its predecessors!.... if.... you don't mind going to a very, VERY dark place, and I'm not talking about the lighting.

    Start with at least a 20 in marksman, a 30 in 1h, and a 25+ in sneak, and you'll roll right into the throat slicings no problem.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

  6. #4106
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    I don't get what's funny about these? The second one is just random stuff, he spawned some mobs and dragons to attack and it's supposed to be hilarious. I mean even the Skyrim werechair videos have much more creativity than that. I mean it's just the normal opening scene, only he got it bugged by using console commands and not even in a funny way. Whats next? Spawn 10 bandits in a town and watch them kill the merchants or something -.-

    ---------- Post added 2011-12-08 at 10:18 AM ----------



    First off, I want to say I absolutely love Skyrim but I still don't agree with you. The smithing thing would be what I'd consider a flaw in the game. It's like in real life, you can't just get unlimited money like that. It should be possible and not possible, if you know what I mean. Basically, yes, you could be able to spam daggers but it should either

    -smithing items should take time and you should go hungry.. so you can do it but you'd have to spend a lot on the food too to balance things out
    -no option to wait or waiting has negative impacts so 1-2 hours wouldn't do anything but if you wait 2 days for stores to restock, it's not very realistic and you should die or lose skills or something:P
    -daggers should just reward less skill than more material costly items and spamming merchants with similar items should just lower their price. I mean would you, buy 200 iron daggers, enchanted with stamina drain, if you were a merchant? Didn't think so..
    well I dare say there'll be mods when the CK is released to address "realism" - after all, you should have to eat, go to the toilet, repair weapons/armour, darn your socks, raise a family etc etc :-)

    and I know - the presence of mods addressing perceived weaknesses or omissions in the original game doesn't mean they AREN'T omissions and weaknesses, but, to return to smithing in particular - yes, you CAN spam daggers, but it IS an RPG - you don't HAVE to, or even NEED to - I mean, I'd love to get my smithing up, but as I said before, there's too much else to do, why WOULD I stand around like someone in a sweatshop, mass-producing something? It would be tedious in real life, and it's tedious in a role-playing game, and I don't choose to do it - it IS a weakness of the game engine, agreed, but being ABLE to do something doesn't mean you HAVE to do it - there IS such a thing as willpower... even then, I've seen in this thread, people saying they used console commands to raise skills etc, and then complaining about not being challenged.... *rolls eyes*

  7. #4107
    Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    Conjuring - spam Soul Trap on a dead body.
    Sneaking - autorun to inn wall
    etc.

    Pretty much all the skills can be maxed in like 15 minutes max because of
    the not so well designed mechanics.

    The game is amazing tho.

    I really wanna try the game with kinect controls with voice controlled
    shouts too :P
    Destruction? Please give me a hint

  8. #4108
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wherever there's snark to be made.
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarmful View Post
    Destruction? Please give me a hint
    Burn things.

    Burn everything.

  9. #4109
    Dreadlord Silver-Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Far, Far Away.
    Posts
    775
    Just finished the main quest after completing the companions, the College of Winterhold and my favorite thus far: the Thieves Guild. Each I challenged myself by conforming the respective play style. As a theif I was the sneaking type. The companions I cut down everything in my path with a skyforge steel great sword. As a student of winterhold I donned by robes and shot lighting from my hands. In the rebellion against the empire I resorted to hit and run tactics as any rebel in his rugged terrain homeland should. And as a dragonslayer I got my hands on the weapon and armor of the blades and made a name for myself as the Dragonborn. Oh and of course I play a nord.

    But I am determined to keep playing to find every shout, if not all the ones I want. I am very happy with the game, and find it's very hard to pull away. And while part of me wants to continue the blades storyline I can't come to meet their demands on a moral level.

    I am thinking of checking out the Dark Brotherhood on the same character but they just outright creeped me out in Oblivion but I've heard interesting things about their Skyrim counterpart.

    My favorite side quests however have been the Daedric quests regarding their princes and artifacts. Talking dogs, hangovers, boxes bigger on the inside and the cheese... to die for.

    The thieves guild storyline was my favorite thus far, it felt more connected than Oblivion's "go steal stuff" and the such. The characters were much more interesting I felt. Betrayal, revelation, romance and jewel heists. Fun times.

    The college was too short I felt. Not much emphasis on using magic either. I passed class and became the archmage with a magicka score of 120-ish. If not for the Wabbajack I might not have made it past the attack on Winterhold.

    Best part is, there is still so much more to do.
    "Enjoy your power"

  10. #4110
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    IIt's like in real life, you can't just get unlimited money like that
    I have stayed out of this pointless argument but this just made me laugh, i forgot im playing skyrim because its just like real life. Screw work im going to go kill a dragon in the mall

  11. #4111
    The Lightbringer Istaril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland. Freedom and So on.
    Posts
    3,227
    The college was too short I felt. Not much emphasis on using magic either. I passed class and became the archmage with a magicka score of 120-ish.
    I agree, there was like.. 5 quests in total; but they were all long dungeon crawls. It started out so promising with the 'First Lesson' quest, where Tolfdir taught that ward spell. I thought: "Great!" "We'll be learning spells this way every so often, cool". But then I was sorely disappointed after that. Just a bunch of dungeon crawls culminating in a fairly simple encounter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Guns don't kill people deranged dogs and cooking ovens kill people.
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    We went to Iraq in search of WMD's but found none. I guess they dont have pressure cookers over there : (

  12. #4112
    I definately agree. To be fair, Labyrinthian was definately one of the better dungeons i've done, but i still think the questline was done fairly badly. The whole college was.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

  13. #4113
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wherever there's snark to be made.
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    I have stayed out of this pointless argument but this just made me laugh, i forgot im playing skyrim because its just like real life. Screw work im going to go kill a dragon in the mall
    I tried to kill a dragon in the mall once.

    The guy who owned that display car was pissed.

  14. #4114
    Quote Originally Posted by Nara Numas View Post
    Burn things.

    Burn everything.
    I can't decide if I should stick to conjuration or destruction on my 18 mage. She's got 60 conjuration right now because I was so used to bow/one hand combat from my main character and only 42 destruction. It just seems destruction isn't really powerful at lower levels because you run out of mana way too fast dual casting spells.

    ---------- Post added 2011-12-08 at 05:11 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Nara Numas View Post
    I tried to kill a dragon in the mall once, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Fixed 10 char.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  15. #4115
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wherever there's snark to be made.
    Posts
    140
    By the by, funny glitch

    Find a dead dragon and use dual ice spikes on it, and watch how far it goes flying.

  16. #4116
    Pit Lord Kaelwryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    2,280
    Honestly I don't get why people keep saying "omg blacksmithing shouldn't be so easy to level!111!!!!!" Why does it have to be like wow? Truthfully I'd rather it not be anything like wow because leveling professions are tedious and I'm here to have fun. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Everything in this game is essentially YOUR CHOICE. Yes Bethesda made it easy, but you're the one who decided to use that option. You could've leveled something else that too more ingredients so it would be "harder" to level blacksmithing, but no you're the lazy ass who found the quick solution and decided to use it to power level the profession.

    Honestly I haven't touched Blacksmithing or Enchanting at all, and only alchemy for some health pots. I'm wearing basic armor, nothing enchanted or enhanced in a way and am doing everything but the main story or the faction quests. There are some encounters that are easy but not all. I still get ownd sometimes...so should I blame Bethesda for making the choice to keep myself at a "basic" level? No. Single player games are your choice, you're just given the options.

  17. #4117
    Warchief Poppincaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Post-Apocalyptic America
    Posts
    2,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Honestly I don't get why people keep saying "omg blacksmithing shouldn't be so easy to level!111!!!!!" Why does it have to be like wow? Truthfully I'd rather it not be anything like wow because leveling professions are tedious and I'm here to have fun. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Everything in this game is essentially YOUR CHOICE. Yes Bethesda made it easy, but you're the one who decided to use that option. You could've leveled something else that too more ingredients so it would be "harder" to level blacksmithing, but no you're the lazy ass who found the quick solution and decided to use it to power level the profession.

    Honestly I haven't touched Blacksmithing or Enchanting at all, and only alchemy for some health pots. I'm wearing basic armor, nothing enchanted or enhanced in a way and am doing everything but the main story or the faction quests. There are some encounters that are easy but not all. I still get ownd sometimes...so should I blame Bethesda for making the choice to keep myself at a "basic" level? No. Single player games are your choice, you're just given the options.
    I don't have a huge issue with it being easy to level, because if it was super hard, I'd probably just say screw it and level something else. My problem is even just by making my dragon scale gear and enchanting it with the enchanting perks, I was pretty OP for awhile. Even on master the only things that can even kill me are ancient dragons and maybe Dragon Priests and that's if I don't play smart at all. Waiting to level it or leveling it early makes no difference. Once you have your gear you become pretty OP no matter what level you are at. Also, I didn't know when I started my character that making the gear and enchanting it would make me super OP. I just wanted to get out of my stupid looking leather gear into something cooler.

  18. #4118
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    I have stayed out of this pointless argument but this just made me laugh, i forgot im playing skyrim because its just like real life. Screw work im going to go kill a dragon in the mall
    Why would that make you laugh? For some reason someone will always use the "wizard did it" excuse if something is bugged, flawed or imbalanced in a game, movie or a book.

    You might think what you like but I appreciate realism in games as in no nonsense stuff. Fantasy doesn't mean that the people there are idiots unless otherwise implied and in Skyrims case it isn't. That said, I like Skyrim a lot despite it's bugs and flaws and have no regrets buying it.

    Oh and also better balance with that would solve the problems that people are having without them having to restrain themselves. At least I prefer games to be really challenging and force me to overcome the obstacles by thinking and planning, instead of inventing rules to make things more difficult.
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

  19. #4119
    Over 9000! Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,695
    I don't see how you can powerlevel those two skills anyway. Probably if you do a lot of things with specific items and such, but that probably also is not entertaining ways.

    Also, pwning things is a playstyle that becomes an opion I guess.
    Belief can become reality!

  20. #4120
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I don't see how you can powerlevel those two skills anyway. Probably if you do a lot of things with specific items and such, but that probably also is not entertaining ways.

    Also, pwning things is a playstyle that becomes an opion I guess.
    Well, you can do it buy buying all iron ingots, and soul gems, spamming daggers, enchanting them, selling for profit, waiting 48 hours and repeat. Pretty much unlimited money, 100 smithing and 100 enchanting fast without even leaving Whiterun. I personally never did it on purpose but first playthrough, I did spam daggers without the waiting part and got my smithing and enchanting to 100 before any other skill was even at 50.
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •