I just spent the last few hours poking around both the Steam workshop and the Skyrim Nexus looking at mods and I think I found some interesting stuff.

This Playable Dremora mod seems to work very well. Coupled with this Dremora customization mod you can make some pretty cool looking dremora characters.

And while I was poking around I found something that sparked my interest but I have not tested yet. "Higher Magic - Child Character". Couple that with a few model fixes for children and you can play a pint size dovahkiin.

And just for shits and giggles, a mod that makes Babette (the child vamprie member of the Dark Brotherhood) actually wear a DB uniform instead of that generic red dress.

I know it's probably posted in this thread but I don't really care to sift through 200+ pages... but I just started Skyrim, are there any mods that REALLY make a big quality-of-life difference? I don't really care to change little things, but just maybe something that makes the game much more enjoyable.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I know it's probably posted in this thread but I don't really care to sift through 200+ pages... but I just started Skyrim, are there any mods that REALLY make a big quality-of-life difference? I don't really care to change little things, but just maybe something that makes the game much more enjoyable.
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/download...d=3393#content

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=3863

My personal favorite.
    Last edited by mmoc2636c1d1f2; 2012-02-18 at 02:37 AM.

Been level 41 for a very long time. Hit 42 tonight thinking I'm invincible with my legendary dragonscale light armor and sword/board with legendary daedric weapon. 75% bow damage increase + 50% one hand damage increase + 20 fire damage enchant on daedric axe and bow. Perked to double damage in both one hand and bow. No alchemy "exploit" for maximum enchanting. Enchanting not maxxed either.

Tried going head to head against an elder dragon as sword and board thinking I could stagger each one of his attacks if timed right. Boy was I wrong. Half the time the dragon doesn't get staggered but doesn't hurt me. The other half of the time he doesn't get staggered and instead eats me through my block at full health. Ended up having Shadowmere tank him while I shot at him from behind a rock with my bow.

This game REALLY needs a respec option without a PC mod (i.e. for consoles). Fuck having to level an entirely new character to make up for some perks I messed up choosing as a newb.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

So I have a few questions; I just wanna make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

I'm level 10 and in Whiterun, and I'm a werewolf now. I'm leveling as a Warrior (I guess), with 1-handed, block, and archery trees for my perks. I'm just confused, there are a few things I'm wondering about.

*What is a Thief? I understand you can be a Warrior, Mage, and a Thief? What do thieves wield, just daggers? From what I've played, I don't understand how that could be viable at all, considering how damn hard everyone hits.

*I honestly don't know if I'm doing something wrong. I just did this quest where I had to kill the leader of the Silver Hand (I'm playing on Expert mode), and I had a lot of trouble getting his last room, to the point where I had to zone in and out just to heal myself. Am I too low level for my zone, or what? Is it really supposed to be this difficult, like one swing from the leader and I lose like 40% of my health. The only way I killed him was standing on top of a cage and shooting arrows down.

*Am I playing the game right? I'm just talking to everyone I see and doing their quests. I hope I'm not missing anything.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

*What is a Thief? I understand you can be a Warrior, Mage, and a Thief? What do thieves wield, just daggers? From what I've played, I don't understand how that could be viable at all, considering how damn hard everyone hits.
    The way a thief is supposed to look at combat is that they sneak up on everything. If you're out in the open make sure you've got your archery skill worked up and shoot a poisoned arrow from stealth. Daggers are for when you're in closed spaces and can sneak right up on the guy for super extra critical sneak attacks.
    *I honestly don't know if I'm doing something wrong. I just did this quest where I had to kill the leader of the Silver Hand (I'm playing on Expert mode), and I had a lot of trouble getting his last room, to the point where I had to zone in and out just to heal myself. Am I too low level for my zone, or what? Is it really supposed to be this difficult, like one swing from the leader and I lose like 40% of my health. The only way I killed him was standing on top of a cage and shooting arrows down.
    Many areas and creatures in Skyrim have a minimum level, meaning if you wander into the place at a low level you're going to get straight up murdered. But most places are scaled to your level. However, you're playing on expert so the scale is going to be a bit harsher to you, especially when it comes to boss mobs. And if you're talking about the quest I think you're talking about, you're one step away from completing the main questline for the companions so it's supposed to be harder than earlier quests.

Don't forget to use your dragon shouts and racial powers. Plus if you're using the werewolf form don't forget that pushing the power button (the same one you press to change form) will make you howl which causes most enemies to run away in fear.

10+ Year Old Account
    A thief is a character who relies on stealth (in Skyrim, that's the sneak skill) to get by. Take a look at the perks in the sneak tree and you'll understand why it's 'viable' (god how I hate that overused and misused word).

Generally mob levels are around your level when you first meet them, so if you have never entered Bleak Falls Barrows at the starter town until you're level 40, the mobs will be around that level when you go visit it. Some mobs have a fixed level range though, so you may be too low or too high for them. A few pages back I talked about having the exact problem as you. Bandit Chiefs are around level 25 - that's why you're getting creamed so easily. Just come back later at around level 20. Or you can challenge yourself by finding ways around just like you did.

*Am I playing the game right? I'm just talking to everyone I see and doing their quests. I hope I'm not missing anything.
    It depends on what you want to accomplish. It's a sandbox RPG so there's no 'right' way to play the game (although there are right ways to pick perks).

Deleted
    A bit random video.

A pure thief doesn't do combat at all, actually. Look at the "thief" skills: Sneak, Pickpocket, Lockpicking, Alchemy, Speech, and Light Armor. None of them directly involve damaging an enemy, and only one of them involves protecting yourself from damage. Light Armor is essentially a trade-off between protection and maneuverability.

A sneaky person that does combat would be an assassin.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    A pure thief doesn't do combat at all, actually. Look at the "thief" skills: Sneak, Pickpocket, Lockpicking, Alchemy, Speech, and Light Armor. None of them directly involve damaging an enemy, and only one of them involves protecting yourself from damage. Light Armor is essentially a trade-off between protection and maneuverability.

A sneaky person that does combat would be an assassin.
    How would you get anything done in the game if you were a "pure thief"?

^-- Legit question, not trying to be snarky, I really don't know.

Bring followers. I would recommend a dog and a horse. Pick up the Poisoner perk from Pickpocketing. (Alternatively, level Illusion.) Do Thieves Guild generic quests to amass money.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

10+ Year Old Account

Well, you have to use some combat, and that's where the Sneak tree comes in. Most of the perks focus on making you harder to detect, but there are several perks in one branch that increase your sneak damage. If you get the final damage perk you do 15x your normal damage if you do a sneak-backstab with a dagger, and then if you combine that with an armor set you get from the Dark Brotherhood, you can double that to 30x normal damage. Bows will also do 3x damage, and one-handed weapons will do 6x damage when sneaking.

The final perk in the Sneak tree, and one of my favorites, gives you the ability to enter temporarily stop combat and force distant targets to search for a new target by entering sneak. This can be great if you're outnumbered, as you can just enter sneak, find a dark corner, and wait for your enemies to lose interest. Also allows you to get in stealth crits in the middle of a fight.

Any top tier mods out yet with the creation kit that you guys recommend ?

Level 24 dark elf, light armor /sneak / archer / 1 handed / resto focused character... I simply can't stop playing this game. Want to start working on a 100% magic user after I'm done.

Obviously most of you have probably finished the game... I've been doing a lot of sidequesting, and not really focusing at all on the main plots, but (spoiler text ahead)... am I the only one that was a bit upset at the fact that you wind up having to attack Whiterun if you join the Stormcloaks? I felt like a betrayer for going through with that, after being made a thane, buying a house there, etc. Bleh.
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2012-02-21 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Level 24 dark elf, light armor /sneak / archer / 1 handed / resto focused character... I simply can't stop playing this game. Want to start working on a 100% magic user after I'm done.

Obviously most of you have probably finished the game... I've been doing a lot of sidequesting, and not really focusing at all on the main plots, but (spoiler text ahead)... am I the only one that was a bit upset at the fact that you wind up having to attack Whiterun if you join the Stormcloaks? I felt like a betrayer for going through with that, after being made a thane, buying a house there, etc. Bleh.
    Well Balgruuf tells you he is more inclined towards imperials and stormcloacks, being rebeling dicks dont care about civilian population and attack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Well Balgruuf tells you he is more inclined towards imperials and stormcloacks, being rebeling dicks dont care about civilian population and attack.
    Explain to me how the Stormcloaks care less about the common Nordic citizen than the Imperials? If anything, they're far more empathetic.

Anyway, Balgruuf calling me out for being a Stormcloak made no fucking sense when I delivered Ulfric's ultimatum to him WHILE CLAD IN STORMCLOAK ARMOUR. He deserved what he got.

I still don't know what side I wanna join. They're both pretty much dicks :/ Do you get benefits by joining Imp/Stormcloaks, and what?

Also I'm currently doing Thieves Guild quests, but I'd really prefer not to. After talking to the people I wanted to kill the Thieves Guild, but there doesn't seem to be any quests that do that. Do you not have the option to do this?

---------- Post added 2012-02-22 at 12:03 PM ----------

I hate doing quests for Maven Black-Briar, I don't like her. Is there no like counter-chainquests that I'm missing that backstabs her or something? I don't like working for her but I wanna do all the quests, and she's an integral part of Riften's story apparently.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-02-22 at 02:29 AM.

Deleted
    I still don't know what side I wanna join. They're both pretty much dicks :/ Do you get benefits by joining Imp/Stormcloaks, and what?

Also I'm currently doing Thieves Guild quests, but I'd really prefer not to. After talking to the people I wanted to kill the Thieves Guild, but there doesn't seem to be any quests that do that. Do you not have the option to do this?

---------- Post added 2012-02-22 at 12:03 PM ----------

I hate doing quests for Maven Black-Briar, I don't like her. Is there no like counter-chainquests that I'm missing that backstabs her or something? I don't like working for her but I wanna do all the quests, and she's an integral part of Riften's story apparently.
    You get better rewards for doing the Stormcloak quest chain. That Stormcloak officer armor is SEXY.

And no, you can't really kill Maven. You can steal a horse from her estate, go overboard burning a few beehives but that's it. Although, you can destroy the Dark Brotherhood, one of the main organizations that help ensure her position. You can also become her boss by getting to the top of the Thieves Guild.

If all else fails, just disable her immortality with the console and kill her.

And who do you want to kill as part of the TG chain? Mercer? Brynjolf? That bitch Vex?
    Last edited by mmoc2636c1d1f2; 2012-02-22 at 12:05 PM.

Nah by kill I meant I wish I could dismantle the Thieves Guild instead of helping them rebuild... Was kinda playing my character as a good guy >.<

Deleted
    Nah by kill I meant I wish I could dismantle the Thieves Guild instead of helping them rebuild... Was kinda playing my character as a good guy >.<
    Then that pretty much excludes you from doing the TG chain, as there's really no way to dismantle them. The closest thing you can do to dismantle her is wiping out the Dark Brotherhood.