I haven't gotten my mage very far, atm only lvl 28 but i gotta say, up until lvl 17-18 being a mage is quite harder than being a dual-wielding slicing machine. But things are starting to even out now even though my gear is shite compared to what i had on my warrior at that level. Thing is, there is more to being a mage than firebolts. Personally, i don't use alteration or illusion much, but conjuration in conjunction with destruction can be very good. Just summon an atronarch to do the tanking and dual cast fireballs, things drop like flies and en masse since the AoE from fireball is really nice.

My Paladin.
    Specs in Block, One-hand, Restoration.
    Mods are found at SkyrimNexus
    Better female faces by Bella,
    Silverlight Armor by Jojjo (who makes Lich King's sword and gear)
    UNB Body mod.
    Sims hair mod.

Edit: Detailed Cities Steam.workshop.
    Obelodalix
    "There will be a mount reward for killing Deathwing."
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...c3VvPCVHwc_kWA

Wow, that looks really nice dude, gj.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    And against higher level enemies with a melee weapon you are going to be taking some hits so you need a high armor skill and/or a high block skill. Or with archery you'll need a decent sneak skill to get the drop on them and/or alchemy for poisons. And it's very likely both of these characters would have blacksmithing.

The problem with this entire ordeal is that people think they are comparing destruction with one/two-handed/archery, when in reality they are comparing a retarded mage who is only using destruction to a fully kitted out warrior.
    Any magic school coupled with maxed out enchanting is godly. I have a Breton spellsword that has level 100 conjuration and destruction with a fairly high restoration skill. My chest, helmet, necklace, and ring all do -25% magicka cost for restoration and conjuration. I've had to bump up the difficulty to master just to have a challenge since now I can instantly restore my health and stamina (and my followers health) while my two Daedric Lords/Storm thralls harass my target, occasionally throwing out fireballs and getting a sword swing in. Oh, and I also have Eola with me, giving me basically another atronach/zombie and another fireball/frost storm turret.

So yeah, magic can be pretty OP if you know what you're doing and are willing to put the time into it. Also keep in mind that this is all done legitimately. I leveled my smithing and enchanting to 100 so I could have the strongest armor/weapons with the best enchants.
    Is it a rule that you have to be rude and sarcastic in every conversation here?

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Any magic school coupled with maxed out enchanting is godly. I have a Breton spellsword that has level 100 conjuration and destruction with a fairly high restoration skill. My chest, helmet, necklace, and ring all do -25% magicka cost for restoration and conjuration. I've had to bump up the difficulty to master just to have a challenge since now I can instantly restore my health and stamina (and my followers health) while my two Daedric Lords/Storm thralls harass my target, occasionally throwing out fireballs and getting a sword swing in. Oh, and I also have Eola with me, giving me basically another atronach/zombie and another fireball/frost storm turret.

So yeah, magic can be pretty OP if you know what you're doing and are willing to put the time into it. Also keep in mind that this is all done legitimately. I leveled my smithing and enchanting to 100 so I could have the strongest armor/weapons with the best enchants.
    Oh I fully understand how powerful magic is. I run with a mage that's a master of destruction, alteration, restoration and enchanting. If I'm not playing on master difficulty nothing can even slow me down.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

Yeah, everything rocks if you snowball it into oblivion. I have two 600 damage daedric waraxes as dual-wield warrior. Snowballed improving: 511 weapon dmg + 76 enchantdamage (2x36). problem with magic early on is that charging does not allow you to reg magicka.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

And against higher level enemies with a melee weapon you are going to be taking some hits so you need a high armor skill and/or a high block skill. Or with archery you'll need a decent sneak skill to get the drop on them and/or alchemy for poisons. And it's very likely both of these characters would have blacksmithing.

The problem with this entire ordeal is that people think they are comparing destruction with one/two-handed/archery, when in reality they are comparing a retarded mage who is only using destruction to a fully kitted out warrior.
    Replace a sneak archer with a sneaky mage. See the pattern here? Face it, destruction is flashy but quite inferior to other attacking method (ie. archery). And if you happen to level conjuration to 100, you can forget destruction altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    Replace a sneak archer with a sneaky mage. See the pattern here?
    No, I don't. You might want to elaborate so that I do.
    Face it, destruction is flashy but quite inferior to other attacking method (ie. archery).
    I will take destruction's ability to stagger anything and everything every time over archery's 50% chance to stagger medium sized enemies.
    And if you happen to level conjuration to 100, you can forget destruction altogether.
    And if you master archery you don't need one/two-handed. Did you have a point?
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

Replace a sneak archer with a sneaky mage. See the pattern here? Face it, destruction is flashy but quite inferior to other attacking method (ie. archery). And if you happen to level conjuration to 100, you can forget destruction altogether.
    I would have to disagree, particularly with the conjuration part. Lets say you have maxed both out (which is completely doable). Fighting a melee enemy? Summon two Frost Atronachs/Thralls and blast them with Ice Storm/Ice Spike to prevent them from getting a single power attack in. How about another mage? Use two Storm Atronachs/Thralls and hit them with dual-cast Chain Lightning/Thunderbolt to stagger them while sapping away their magicka to prevent them from getting a single spell off. Is your target immune to either of these? Use a fire spell and kite them, or let your Dremora Lords get their attention first and then unload on them.

I think you're a bit too hasty to discard the utility destruction magick has in combat. Like Archery and Melee, when coupled with the right talents it becomes godly.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I would have to disagree, particularly with the conjuration part. Lets say you have maxed both out (which is completely doable). Fighting a melee enemy? Summon two Frost Atronachs/Thralls and blast them with Ice Storm/Ice Spike to prevent them from getting a single power attack in. How about another mage? Use two Storm Atronachs/Thralls and hit them with dual-cast Chain Lightning/Thunderbolt to stagger them while sapping away their magicka to prevent them from getting a single spell off. Is your target immune to either of these? Use a fire spell and kite them, or let your Dremora Lords get their attention first and then unload on them.

I think you're a bit too hasty to discard the utility destruction magick has in combat. Like Archery and Melee, when coupled with the right talents it becomes godly.
    My character has maxed out conjuration and wears heavy armor with a shield/one-hander... basically it is pretty much impossible to kill me, much more viable than destruction.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    Is it a bad thing that I'm enjoying my mage over my warrior and assassin characters?

Don't get me wrong. I loved being a sneaky bitch as an assassin/thief; but once I finished the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild... I found very little to do out side of repetitive quests you get from them and sneaky dungeon looting. But as my mage... I'm enjoying the interplay of weaving lighting and fireballs together mixed in with my ice dragon shout and my conjour dremora lord >=D I've also recently taken to using staves (just got the one off of Morokei and Hevnoraak). I'm normally a melee character (be it archer or hand weapons) and RARELY enjoy casters. But for some reason its SO MUCH more fun in Skyrim.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    Most people only have a problem with destruction. When compared to even unexploited weapons, melee or ranged, the damage output is pitiful. Yes, you can easily stunlock an enemy and/or paralyze it and wail away until it dies, but against higher level opponents you could have used melee to defeat 20 of them in the time your master destruction takes care of one.
    Destruction is actually more OP than anything else. How come you claim the damage is pitiful? Have you ever tried it? Destruction potion and dual cast chain lightning is just insanely OP. You can stunlock an entire room with it and the damage isn't so bad at all. Frost and fire are kind of crappy though. What makes lightning spells so great is the fact that they hit instantly. You can shoot flying dragons and moving targets with ease while it is nearly impossible to hit them with a bow. I even used lightning spells to shoot down eagles :P Something not easily done with a bow.
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    My character has maxed out conjuration and wears heavy armor with a shield/one-hander... basically it is pretty much impossible to kill me, much more viable than destruction.
    So that's four skills (conjuration, heavy armor, block, and one-handed) that you say are better than destruction. Congratulations on missing the point. But replace heavy armor, block and one-handed with alteration, restoration and destruction and you have an equally unstoppable character.

Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    Funny thing is I can do the same without conjuration and weapons on my Kahjiit. Currently at level 36 with Daedric gloves that do 163 damage without any exploits. I just need to get my heavy armor skill up a bit more (currently at 85).

After trying all the magic schools, double one handed, 1 handed shield, 2 handed, assassin, stealth archer (all of them to level 30 or more)

I finally decided that my main, the one that ill take to 81, is this one:

Gianna Nord Female Stealth Archer

No, I don't. You might want to elaborate so that I do.

I will take destruction's ability to stagger anything and everything every time over archery's 50% chance to stagger medium sized enemies.

And if you master archery you don't need one/two-handed. Did you have a point?
    Sneak boosts archer damage, but not spell, while they are both ranged attacking trees. You can combine archer with anything magic related but not the other way around. Added to the fact its pretty boring to watch the near-master spells over and over and over, I decided to quit my mage at around lvl 40. Magic in this game is boring, you dont have situational/niche spells to utilize in various situations in better designed games but the retarded "new spells here, abuse it and forget all you ve learned thus far". Not to mention the ridiculously well thought "wards" and half-baked "armor" perks. In short, its dual-cast lightning spamming to eternity. Even more broken if you abuse 100 enchanting to its max potential: 0% mana cost for 2 schools of your choice.

Its pretty simple actually. You can summon at max 2 ridiculously strong draedas. With sufficient magicka and magicka regen, summon a demon right at the boss/mobs, the other close to protect you. Pick a safe corner, many dungeons in the game consists of narrow corridors and AI is unbelievably buggy, then re summon when they die. Repeat. The same for dragons. Shout it down then summon. Later in the main chain it might become tricky with so many boss-level mobs around, but then the Shouts come in handy. I poured like 80% of my level into magicka, but didnt die much even though most mobs later in the game could 1-hit me. Nothing but conjuration and a lot of mana to clear every dungeons.

Sneak boosts archer damage, but not spell, while they are both ranged attacking trees. You can combine archer with anything magic related but not the other way around. Added to the fact its pretty boring to watch the near-master spells over and over and over, I decided to quit my mage at around lvl 40. Magic in this game is boring, you dont have situational/niche spells to utilize in various situations in better designed games but the retarded "new spells here, abuse it and forget all you ve learned thus far". Not to mention the ridiculously well thought "wards" and half-baked "armor" perks. In short, its dual-cast lightning spamming to eternity. Even more broken if you abuse 100 enchanting to its max potential: 0% mana cost for 2 schools of your choice.
    So destruction is just a long range attacking tree, huh? Just like archery? See, this is exactly the problem with people making these comparisons. They think it's a straight comparison. Like how you mention sneak does nothing for destruction but leave out that archery has nothing comparable to runes, cloaks, or walls. It's almost like you have no clue how destruction actually works...

Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

What do you guys think the next Elder Scrolls game will be? (unless it's been announced already O.o) What haven't they done? The Dwimer (spelling)? Elseweyr?
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    What do you guys think the next Elder Scrolls game will be? (unless it's been announced already O.o) What haven't they done? The Dwimer (spelling)? Elseweyr?
    they should make a Elder Scrolls: Tamriel, sadly this would take at least a decade of massive development

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I have this feeling they are headed for the MMO Market with Elder Scrolls.