Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    So destruction is just a long range attacking tree, huh? Just like archery? See, this is exactly the problem with people making these comparisons. They think it's a straight comparison. Like how you mention sneak does nothing for destruction but leave out that archery has nothing comparable to runes, cloaks, or walls. It's almost like you have no clue how destruction actually works...
    Cloak is almost useless if you plan on building 'pure' mage instead of hybrid mage wearing armor. As a pure mage, you have to stack magicka to keep staggering enemies, leaving no point for stamina & health, or abuse enchanting making to make 0% cost sets - its cheating then. Alter tree mage armor isnt really good as it requires so much micro managing (relatively short duration), plus being a pure mage you dont have much stamina - so much inconvenience. Runes works well in theory, but in practice the game doesnt credit player for pausing and planning ahead of a fight like more 'traditional' top-view DnD games - whacking or sneaking through it gives much smoother experience. The game flow, the 'rhythm' is off. And its funny you never mention the severe limit of spell choice and out of date 'throw old spells away after getting a new one' design.

I dont come here to prove anything, so feel free to shoehorn your play style to a flawed game design. Each to his own game. For me, destruction magic is a total failure and I'm glad I switched to sneak/bow instead.

I enjoyed Destruction Magic (and a couple other schools), but it is weaker, even at max level and having unlocked the final talents and skills, than leveling up BS all the way and getting your Daedric Equipment.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy being an Arch-Mage, but it is obvious that even without min/maxing the system to make your weapons/armor, Physical (melee or archery) do more damage, faster, and are easier to play than going full on Mage.

Ignoring the fact that you compleyel missed my point that archery doesn't have the utility of destruction...
    Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    Cloak is almost useless if you plan on building 'pure' mage instead of hybrid mage wearing armor.
    An extra source of damage on enemies that manage to close the gap is far from useless. Not to mention the spell remains active if cast before and does not dispell the effects of the become ethereal dragon shout.
    As a pure mage, you have to stack magicka to keep staggering enemies, leaving no point for stamina & health, or abuse enchanting making to make 0% cost sets - its cheating then.
    It's also unnecessary. Master robes of destruction + Morokei + Amulet of Akatosh = 275% boost to magicka regeneration (which could be further enhanced another 50% with Restoration perks).

There's also the option of using staves. Or potions.
    Alter tree mage armor isnt really good as it requires so much micro managing (relatively short duration),
    Casting a spell every 2 1/2 minutes is too much micro-management?
    plus being a pure mage you dont have much stamina - so much inconvenience.
    Restoration spells can restore endurance.
    Runes works well in theory, but in practice the game doesnt credit player for pausing and planning ahead of a fight like more 'traditional' top-view DnD games - whacking or sneaking through it gives much smoother experience. The game flow, the 'rhythm' is off.
    What the hell does this even mean? We're comparing Skyrim to turn-based games now?

And I would think archery magically slowing down time does more to interrupt the flow of the game.
    And its funny you never mention the severe limit of spell choice and out of date 'throw old spells away after getting a new one' design.
    I do not mention something that does not need addressing. The only spells you ever drop are the novice level channeled spell and the adept level direct damage spell. Everything else remains useful.
    I dont come here to prove anything, so feel free to shoehorn your play style to a flawed game design. Each to his own game. For me, destruction magic is a total failure and I'm glad I switched to sneak/bow instead.
    Wow. You accuse me of shoe horning my playstyle into the game when you're the one trying to say a playstyle is completely invalid... Oh, and you're comparing the game to a turn-based game style.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I have this feeling they are headed for the MMO Market with Elder Scrolls.
    As long as they don't make it an amazing leveling experience + story and then "herp gather 9 friends and kill giant dragons once a week for loot"
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    As long as they don't make it an amazing leveling experience + story and then "herp gather 9 friends and kill giant dragons once a week for loot"
    You mean like almost every MMO currently on the market?

I'm just waiting to see how GW2 and The Secret World do before I comment on the current crop of MMOs.

You mean like almost every MMO currently on the market?

I'm just waiting to see how GW2 and The Secret World do before I comment on the current crop of MMOs.
    Which is why I said in another thread I'm not playing any of the current MMOs

I love Skyrim for its sandboxy-ness, and I'd rather they not make an MMO and stick to single player RPGs.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I have this feeling they are headed for the MMO Market with Elder Scrolls.
    I think not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Howard
    "I like this kind of game better," he said. "You know, it's what most of us are into. I'm not really an MMO guy. I respect them, I look at them, but I don't play them. It feels more real to me when I'm the hero and it's crafted for that. A community aspect to it, I recognize a lot of people would want that in a game like this, but it changes the flavor for me.

"The audience we have for our kind of thing is big enough that we don't have to tone it down. We can just do our thing, and it's kind of grown with each game. So there was no pressure from anybody above me to say 'Hey, you need to change this.'"
    Not to mention if Bethesda were to make an MMO they are more likely to do so with another property...
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2012-03-05 at 09:25 AM.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

I think not.

Not to mention if Bethesda were to make an MMO they are more likely to do so with another property...
    They only wanted their rights back so they can farm it out to someone else.

And when the president or shareholders of the company tell Mr Howard to make an MMO, a mmo there shall be.

Seriously I would like a game back when the Dwemmer were still around.

And when the president or shareholders of the company tell Mr Howard to make an MMO, a mmo there shall be.
    You honestly think they will one day up and tell a studio that makes single player games to make an MMO?

Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

You honestly think they will one day up and tell a studio that makes single player games to make an MMO?
    Yes. I honestly do. Case in point: Bioware. You could make the case for Blizzard as well.

Yes. I honestly do. Case in point: Bioware. You could make the case for Blizzard as well.
    Bioware's success is highly debateable. Meanwhile Blizzard had already made not only successful multiplayer games but also an online system with which to host those games.

But yeah, go ahead and use SWTOR as an example. It's only the most expensive to make MMO ever.
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2012-03-05 at 09:54 AM.

Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

Bioware's success is highly debateable. Meanwhile Blizzard had already made not only successful multiplayer games but also an online system with which to host those games.

But yeah, go ahead and use SWTOR as an example. It's only the most expensive to make MMO ever.
    I'm aware. None the less the return on some MMOs is staggering. And Monthly Fees in addition to your yearly or bi-yearly releases look amazing.

I hope TESVI would be set in Elsweyr, that Khajiit Province. Every time I cross a Khajiit Caravan member in Skyrim I get the feeling that Elsweyr will be coming next. It would at least be a nice climate change to Skyrim (although it's a bit like areas of Morrowind was though). They could improve the game by adding some kind of "multiplayer or co-op", definitely not an MMO though. Something in general like Diablo 3 is that you could form a party with couple of your friends. Because Khajiit are kind of shadowy people, they could also improve the current crime system. Maybe also make characters able to climb on buildings or other world objects like in the coming Assassin's Creed 3.
    Last edited by dragothica; 2012-03-05 at 01:46 PM.

The combat system could use some sort of revamp for the next game. There's nothing really difficult about the game, and like the only time you do experience difficulty is when you have a mob/boss who hits you for half of your life each hit, so you're just eternally kiting him/hiding in shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    the best weapon of all time IMO

Berserk Dragonslayer
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=3143

:O that looks like Cloud Strife's sword from ff7 :P

The combat system could use some sort of revamp for the next game. There's nothing really difficult about the game, and like the only time you do experience difficulty is when you have a mob/boss who hits you for half of your life each hit, so you're just eternally kiting him/hiding in shadows.
    i think you are right, once you get half way and higher down your perk tree, everything is trivial besides a few bosses/dragons with strangly large health compared to everything else. thats why i downloaded a few mods that add wars randomly around the world that resets 6 days, more wilderness spawns and more enemies in dungeons. it a lot more difficult/entertaining to fight 8 enemies out in the wilderness instead of 1 random weak bandit every once in a while
    Photo Website: http://www.jeremynative.com Please check out

Quote Originally Posted by jeremynative View Post
    i think you are right, once you get half way and higher down your perk tree, everything is trivial besides a few bosses/dragons with strangly large health compared to everything else. thats why i downloaded a few mods that add wars randomly around the world that resets 6 days, more wilderness spawns and more enemies in dungeons. it a lot more difficult/entertaining to fight 8 enemies out in the wilderness instead of 1 random weak bandit every once in a while
    Really? That sounds awesome, what mods?

Yeah it gets trivial very fast. I just spam my DW move, it kills everything in 1-2 moves(including dragons, giants, and so on).
    And the crafting skills are far to powerful. Even without using the "exploit" they are far to powerful. Double weapon damage, Enchants for massive damage and if thats not enough add a poison for 150-200 additional damage.

Its a pity the interface is so clunky when playing a mage(to many spells, constant switching) because as a melee orientated charakter its far to easy to fast.

What do you guys think the next Elder Scrolls game will be? (unless it's been announced already O.o) What haven't they done? The Dwimer (spelling)? Elseweyr?
    I think we'll be heading into the Dominion. A combined Valenwood / Summerset Isles game.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

has anyone really looked into the classes you can get into?
    iv read through the wiki on it and damn did i miss out on my first character.

thankfully i leveled smithing and enchanting to a degree but being a noob toon as a warrior/ berserker i went and spent a few perk points in speech and lock picking. ugh.

thankfully for my mage/ battle mage. i looked up what it takes to play that right and its been fun setting things on fire and cutting their heads off if they get too close