Thread: Icewind Dale

Icewind Dale

Just saw an enhanced version on steam. Never got to play it back in the day. Is it worth it?

I love IWD, I replay it every couple years. Both 1 and 2 were great games if you are into that type of top down D&D RPG.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Blademaster
    I only played IWD2 and it was great. It's better than BG2 in many ways because the rules are more advanced or something. But the storytelling/interactions are very different because of the way you get to create your own party. You lose the interesting characters but as a min/maxer I really liked the customization (though you could technically have done it with BG2). I assume you've played BG2. If you haven't you may want to pick that one up first.
    Last edited by Synbios; Yesterday at 08:11 PM.

Given that BG:EE had a number of bugs when it first came out it might be worth waiting a while for this one, but yes IWD is a fantastic RPG in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Synbios View Post
    I only played IWD2 and it was great. It's better than BG2 in many ways because the rules are more advanced or something. But the storytelling/interactions are very different because of the way you get to create your own party. You lose the interesting characters but as a min/maxer I really liked the customization (though you could technically have done it with BG2). I assume you've played BG2. If you haven't you may want to pick that one up first.
    This was about my experience with IWD2 as well.

There's no party banter or recruitment, but there's still a lot of colourful allies and villains to interact with. Your characters still feel somewhat unique since the race/class/alignment of your speaker often changes dialogue and how NPCs will deal with you; there's a lot of attention to detail like that. Most of the fights felt a bit bigger and more hectic than in BG too.

I preferred 2 to 1 but it's still worth a buy if you like these sorts of games.

Quote Originally Posted by ksaf View Post
    Just saw an enhanced version on steam. Never got to play it back in the day. Is it worth it?
    Is this a real question?

Ofc Icewind dale is worth it.

Go play it.

Now.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Recluse - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Rhino- Dreadnought - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

I can't speak for the Enhanced Edition, but the original Icewind Dale is one of my favourite games of all time and (imho) should be played by anyone and everyone who loves video games.
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/
    Short story things http://teroseth.blogspot.co.uk/

Great. That's what i like to hear. Time to catch up.

World's End Tavern, listening to the ETC.
    If you liked Pillars of Eternity or the BG series, you'll love Icewind dale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Metzen
    "As you can see the age of the whimsical panda sadly, is over."
    Amen!