1. #1

    Sega Is Asking You Nicely to Stop Uploading the Sonic TV Show to YouTube

    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/seg...GSS-05-10aaa0b

    It's not uncommon to see episodes of TV shows illegally uploaded to YouTube, and Sonic Boom is no exception. Now, Sega is asking that you stop doing that, pretty please.

    In a new post on the Sega blog, the company announced its plans to get episodes of the show removed from YouTube. Rather than take a more forceful approach that could have repercussions for the uploaders' YouTube accounts, it's trying something different.
    "Soon, a small handful of you may be getting messages from us on YouTube about your ability to upload and maintain certain Sonic Boom TV show content," Sega says. "Don't panic! We're not the kind of bullies that want to have your accounts damaged or your rings stolen just because you like the Sonic series.

    "In the short term, we'll be sending some letters to people who have uploaded full episodes of Sonic Boom TV Show content, so that they can remove them without needing to worry about getting a copyright strike on their account. Users who don't remove them on their own will have them taken down."

    It goes on to thank fans for their support: "We think the stuff you guys do is awesome, and we thank you for your understanding and continued support. It's also important to note that this applies specifically to the Sonic Boom TV show. If you guys have any other questions, please do let us know. Thanks very much!"
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue|Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card
    My Paladin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Landore/simple
    My Deathknight - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Cellios/simple
    Streaming Ps4/PC games @ https://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! Simulacrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5,210
    Weird thing to do. It's one thing to go after let's players, but guys who are uploading full episodes of a TV show? People deserve to have their accounts ruined by that.

    But if sega doesn't want to do that, then, hey, it's their copyright...
    "Why make trillions when we could make... billions??"

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Weird thing to do. It's one thing to go after let's players, but guys who are uploading full episodes of a TV show? People deserve to have their accounts ruined by that.

    But if sega doesn't want to do that, then, hey, it's their copyright...
    I would imagine it largely has to do with Sega's lack of followers, they want to keep their stuff protected, but not chase off what few people are still interested in them lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

  4. #4
    Adleast they start with a civil cease and desist letter instead of instantly nuking them.
    It's nice to hear that SEGA changed their ways since the time they rough handled Let's Players back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    I'd prefer being shot by a terrorist than living in a country where they serve bread baked with a little cheese and a bottle of ketchup to complete your "pizza margeritha".

  5. #5
    Moderator Jester Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Steins;Gate
    Posts
    19,107
    Wow.

    That's actually refreshing to see. Bro Sega is bro or something. Hopefully people respect this kind of way of handling it so other companies can follow suit.
    JJJJJ"El Psy Kongroo!" General Off Topic/Hearthstone Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Jester Joe? More like Jester Bro. Got my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Jester Bro indeed.

  6. #6
    People actually watch that shitty show? Honestly, Sonic hasn't had a good TV show since the 90's.

    i5 [email protected], R9 290 Windforce, 16GB DDR3 1600, HAF XB Evo, Dark Rock Pro 3 Cooler

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    People actually watch that shitty show? Honestly, Sonic hasn't had a good TV show since the 90's.
    Have you seen the show? You have to keep in mind the show is for kids. It's not bad but it's nothing groundbreaking. And it's not like the video game. They put way more effort into the show at least.

    Why isn't Sega just doing takedowns? Don't they want people to buy their show on DVD or watch it on hulu or whatever? If it's available to watch on youtube people are gonna go there to watch it. It's completely safe to watch it there too. You're likely to get a virus trying to find episodes of any TV show on any site that's bootleg or something.

    And it's miles ahead of the English dub of Sonic X...
    Last edited by Fenris the Shaman; 2016-05-07 at 09:56 PM.
    Signature by Shyama

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    People actually watch that shitty show? Honestly, Sonic hasn't had a good TV show since the 90's.
    You must be confusing the show with the Wii U game...

    Show is not terrible, not completely memorable but not terrible.

    Also common misconception but the 3DS Sonic Boom games aren't terrible either.

    Sonic Boom name is tarnished by that pile of garbage known as the Wii U game which was a broken mess that wouldn't even be good if it was fixed.

  9. #9
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    12,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    Why isn't Sega just doing takedowns? Don't they want people to buy their show on DVD or watch it on hulu or whatever?
    Because takedowns without notice first piss people off. Yes, they know they're infringing, but it still pissses people off. Sega cannot afford bad PR. Their ship is already underwater. Poking more holes in it isn't exactly a good plan of action.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Because takedowns without notice first piss people off. Yes, they know they're infringing, but it still pissses people off. Sega cannot afford bad PR. Their ship is already underwater. Poking more holes in it isn't exactly a good plan of action.
    Nobody would have cared if they forced the take down of the episodes. That's not like claiming game footage or something.

    Instead it's the opposite, it wasn't to avoid bad PR it was an opportunity they saw to get good PR. Why do you think they told the media about this before doing what they say they're going to do and just messaging the uploaders?

  11. #11
    Moderator Jester Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Steins;Gate
    Posts
    19,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Nobody would have cared if they forced the take down of the episodes. That's not like claiming game footage or something.

    Instead it's the opposite, it wasn't to avoid bad PR it was an opportunity they saw to get good PR. Why do you think they told the media about this before doing what they say they're going to do and just messaging the uploaders?
    I'm sure word would of gotten out somehow, but it definitely wouldn't of been as large as it is right now.
    JJJJJ"El Psy Kongroo!" General Off Topic/Hearthstone Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Jester Joe? More like Jester Bro. Got my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Jester Bro indeed.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Weird thing to do. It's one thing to go after let's players, but guys who are uploading full episodes of a TV show? People deserve to have their accounts ruined by that.

    But if sega doesn't want to do that, then, hey, it's their copyright...
    The modern Sonic fanbase is.... special. In the online "sonic community" its a very vocal mix of furries, regressed neckbeards and a surprising number of outgoing severely autistic people -as in really autistic not just using the term as an internet insult here. You gotta treat them with a feathered touch.



    vid related. and the tip of an iceberg so large they actually named a protein strain related to autism as "sonic hedgehog" because of this stuff. its an audience you have to treat very delicately -as in the audience still religiously buying all sanic games day one.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2016-05-08 at 10:32 AM.

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Eleccybubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The Basement.
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    The modern Sonic fanbase is.... special. In the online "sonic community" its a very vocal mix of furries, regressed neckbeards and a surprising number of outgoing severely autistic people -as in really autistic not just using the term as an internet insult here. You gotta treat them with a feathered touch.



    vid related. and the tip of an iceberg so large they actually named a protein strain related to autism as "sonic hedgehog" because of this stuff. its an audience you have to treat very delicately -as in the audience still religiously buying all sanic games day one.
    I still religiously buy them but I can tell which ones are shit and which ones are good despite my love for the series. 06, Boom, GBA remake of 1 all piles of crap. Only ones I can name off the top of my head. As for on topic nice move by Sega at least giving people the chance to remove the content before taking any action.
    "A life with no changes can’t be called life. You can only call it experience." Lelouch Vi Britannia.
    “Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.” Ernest Cline.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    they actually named a protein strain related to autism as "sonic hedgehog" because of this stuff.
    Pretty sure that's not how SHH got it's name at all.

  15. #15
    The Lightbringer TheramoreIsTheBomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Under the Undercity
    Posts
    3,835
    I typed in Sega Is Asking You Nicely to Stop Uploading the Sonic TV Show to YouTube
    on youtube and rickroll popped up, try it xD

    "The Forsaken will forge a glorious destiny for the Horde." Join the #BombSquad today.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Pretty sure that's not how SHH got it's name at all.
    There was some vocal talk at the time about how inappropriate it was to name things like this in reference to fictional characters because it intimates heavy causation in relation to it so unless you read different i can only say what i read at the time.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    There was some vocal talk at the time about how inappropriate it was to name things like this in reference to fictional characters because it intimates heavy causation in relation to it so unless you read different i can only say what i read at the time.
    Yeah, except SHH wasn't named because of autism at all. It doesn't even have anything to do with autism for that matter, and was named long before any internet meme connection between "Sonic Fans" and "Autism" would ever have been made.

    In other words, you read a joke somewhere and thought it was a fact.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, except SHH wasn't named because of autism at all. It doesn't even have anything to do with autism for that matter, and was named long before any internet meme connection between "Sonic Fans" and "Autism" would ever have been made.

    In other words, you read a joke somewhere and thought it was a fact.
    If im full of shit im full of shit but its not comedy sites ive read it on: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3264868/


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •