Been reading through this thread, and it seems I -have- to powerlevel enchanting and/or smithing... Now, I'm on my 2nd char (lvl 36 sneaky archer), and neither of my chars have levelled enchanting or smithing. Neither of my chars have had a hard time with gameplay either.

My very first thought on Skyrim was "meh, they made it just as breakable as morrowind and oblivion". Then I realized if I want to break the game and be OP I can do that. If I want to RP some pacifist healer I can do that too, with little to no drawbacks in gameplay.

I've always been the min/maxer in previous games, but now in skyrim i CBA. I could grind alchemy, make fortify enchanting pots, then enchant fortify alchemy gear, then make stronger fortify enchanting pots etc etc. I could then make ridiculously OP fortify smithing pots and make a silly 2-hander with some crazy fortify 2-H enchant on it. I could then 1-shot everything.

But WHY? Stand by a trainer and grind until everything becomes too easy, or actually playing the game? I'll play the game tyvm

Deleted
    I loved this game, but I felt the ending was a bit anti-climatic. Also, the game was a bit too easy for my taste.
    Still it was great fun exploring and killing. Not as fun as Fallout 3, but pretty close.

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    I play on normal (Adept?).
    It has difficulty settings? I hadn't even noticed, no wonder I thought it was too easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has anybody tried rolling a Kajhiit fist-fighter? I'm finding that it's pretty easy if you level up your heavy armor, smithing, and shield skills. I currently have full upgraded Orcish Armor (at 81 in smithing and saving my resources to make Daedric armor), along with 60 in heavy armor, making my unarmed attacks do about 73 damage. It's gotten to the point where I can pummel my way through a bandit camp with very little resistance. Of course, that's on adept. If you want to survive on master you're going to need a shield with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbane View Post
    It leads to the underground cave 'neath the Skyforge where they force you to drink their AIDS infested werewolf cum.
    For starters, they don't force you (you can walk away and not continue the companions quests), and secondly, I'm pretty sure that's blood coming out of her wrist. And you're not saddled with lycanthropy for the rest of the game if you don't want it.
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2012-02-29 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    Edit: It appears I can't figure how to upload screenies from steam on to imgur. Shame.
    Head into your Steam folder. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam, most likely.)
    Type "screenshots" into the Search field.
    Open up the first folder you find. It contains all of your screenshots.
    Proceed to upload as normal.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Has magic been fixed yet in a official patch? (mainly that old issue where destruction spells weren't scaling at higher levels) Or do I still need a mod to fix it? I went to a cave full of casters with my melee dude at level 25+ and they were insanely hard to kill. I play on normal (Adept?).
    Have they actually be broken? I own anything with my destruction tree at hardest game difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    Have they actually be broken? I own anything with my destruction tree at hardest game difficulty.
    A lot of people have themselves convinced that magic is broken or unbalanced because they can't master one tree and destroy everything in the game.

im gonna make an assassin mage, what skill should i invest it, stealth, alteration, destruction and light armor are must haves what else?

Quote Originally Posted by Palapwn View Post
    im gonna make an assassin mage, what skill should i invest it, stealth, alteration, destruction and light armor are must haves what else?
    If you're going alteration you shouldn't go light armor. Alteration provides with spells like oakskin that provide you with more armor if you're not wearing any items that provide their own armor.

I think an assassination mage might do well with conjuration. The bound weapon skills it provides are far better than any items you can obtain early in the game. But if you go that route you'll see that you're not using destruction as much as you'd want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    Destruction in Skyrim is .. a bit inconsistent. I personally didn't like that NPC mages (even low level ones) have tons of magicka and can keep wards up for ages while kicking out tons of damage, while the Dragonborn's own magic damage output is vastly overshadowed by melee/archery.

Also didn't like that the spell damage didn't scale at all, with next-tier spells being completely different in form and function. I'd have preferred to have the magic damage scale, letting me choose which spell(s) best fit each situation rather that simply "cast the highest tier one 'cos it does the most damage."

Lack of mage-oriented enchant/blacksmithing options too.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    A lot of people have themselves convinced that magic is broken or unbalanced because they can't master one tree and destroy everything in the game.
    Most people only have a problem with destruction. When compared to even unexploited weapons, melee or ranged, the damage output is pitiful. Yes, you can easily stunlock an enemy and/or paralyze it and wail away until it dies, but against higher level opponents you could have used melee to defeat 20 of them in the time your master destruction takes care of one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    If you're going alteration you shouldn't go light armor. Alteration provides with spells like oakskin that provide you with more armor if you're not wearing any items that provide their own armor.
    Frankly, the armor spells are a joke when compared to a good set of actual armor you have a decent skill with, and armor doesn't need to be recast constantly, sometimes even middle of combat... Plus you can still get some boost out of armor spells even on top of your armor set. Maybe early game when you want to play mage and really need that extra regen from robes, but as soon as you can get some decent enchants of your own rolling... get some armor.

Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    Most people only have a problem with destruction. When compared to even unexploited weapons, melee or ranged, the damage output is pitiful. Yes, you can easily stunlock an enemy and/or paralyze it and wail away until it dies, but against higher level opponents you could have used melee to defeat 20 of them in the time your master destruction takes care of one.
    And against higher level enemies with a melee weapon you are going to be taking some hits so you need a high armor skill and/or a high block skill. Or with archery you'll need a decent sneak skill to get the drop on them and/or alchemy for poisons. And it's very likely both of these characters would have blacksmithing.

The problem with this entire ordeal is that people think they are comparing destruction with one/two-handed/archery, when in reality they are comparing a retarded mage who is only using destruction to a fully kitted out warrior.

I haven't gotten my mage very far, atm only lvl 28 but i gotta say, up until lvl 17-18 being a mage is quite harder than being a dual-wielding slicing machine. But things are starting to even out now even though my gear is shite compared to what i had on my warrior at that level. Thing is, there is more to being a mage than firebolts. Personally, i don't use alteration or illusion much, but conjuration in conjunction with destruction can be very good. Just summon an atronarch to do the tanking and dual cast fireballs, things drop like flies and en masse since the AoE from fireball is really nice.

My Paladin.
    Specs in Block, One-hand, Restoration.
    Mods are found at SkyrimNexus
    Better female faces by Bella,
    Silverlight Armor by Jojjo (who makes Lich King's sword and gear)
    UNB Body mod.
    Sims hair mod.

Edit: Detailed Cities Steam.workshop.
    Obelodalix
    "There will be a mount reward for killing Deathwing."
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...c3VvPCVHwc_kWA

Wow, that looks really nice dude, gj.

10+ Year Old Account
    And against higher level enemies with a melee weapon you are going to be taking some hits so you need a high armor skill and/or a high block skill. Or with archery you'll need a decent sneak skill to get the drop on them and/or alchemy for poisons. And it's very likely both of these characters would have blacksmithing.

The problem with this entire ordeal is that people think they are comparing destruction with one/two-handed/archery, when in reality they are comparing a retarded mage who is only using destruction to a fully kitted out warrior.
    Any magic school coupled with maxed out enchanting is godly. I have a Breton spellsword that has level 100 conjuration and destruction with a fairly high restoration skill. My chest, helmet, necklace, and ring all do -25% magicka cost for restoration and conjuration. I've had to bump up the difficulty to master just to have a challenge since now I can instantly restore my health and stamina (and my followers health) while my two Daedric Lords/Storm thralls harass my target, occasionally throwing out fireballs and getting a sword swing in. Oh, and I also have Eola with me, giving me basically another atronach/zombie and another fireball/frost storm turret.

So yeah, magic can be pretty OP if you know what you're doing and are willing to put the time into it. Also keep in mind that this is all done legitimately. I leveled my smithing and enchanting to 100 so I could have the strongest armor/weapons with the best enchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Any magic school coupled with maxed out enchanting is godly. I have a Breton spellsword that has level 100 conjuration and destruction with a fairly high restoration skill. My chest, helmet, necklace, and ring all do -25% magicka cost for restoration and conjuration. I've had to bump up the difficulty to master just to have a challenge since now I can instantly restore my health and stamina (and my followers health) while my two Daedric Lords/Storm thralls harass my target, occasionally throwing out fireballs and getting a sword swing in. Oh, and I also have Eola with me, giving me basically another atronach/zombie and another fireball/frost storm turret.

So yeah, magic can be pretty OP if you know what you're doing and are willing to put the time into it. Also keep in mind that this is all done legitimately. I leveled my smithing and enchanting to 100 so I could have the strongest armor/weapons with the best enchants.
    Oh I fully understand how powerful magic is. I run with a mage that's a master of destruction, alteration, restoration and enchanting. If I'm not playing on master difficulty nothing can even slow me down.

Yeah, everything rocks if you snowball it into oblivion. I have two 600 damage daedric waraxes as dual-wield warrior. Snowballed improving: 511 weapon dmg + 76 enchantdamage (2x36). problem with magic early on is that charging does not allow you to reg magicka.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

Replace a sneak archer with a sneaky mage. See the pattern here? Face it, destruction is flashy but quite inferior to other attacking method (ie. archery). And if you happen to level conjuration to 100, you can forget destruction altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    Replace a sneak archer with a sneaky mage. See the pattern here?
    No, I don't. You might want to elaborate so that I do.
    Face it, destruction is flashy but quite inferior to other attacking method (ie. archery).
    I will take destruction's ability to stagger anything and everything every time over archery's 50% chance to stagger medium sized enemies.
    And if you happen to level conjuration to 100, you can forget destruction altogether.
    And if you master archery you don't need one/two-handed. Did you have a point?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    Replace a sneak archer with a sneaky mage. See the pattern here? Face it, destruction is flashy but quite inferior to other attacking method (ie. archery). And if you happen to level conjuration to 100, you can forget destruction altogether.
    I would have to disagree, particularly with the conjuration part. Lets say you have maxed both out (which is completely doable). Fighting a melee enemy? Summon two Frost Atronachs/Thralls and blast them with Ice Storm/Ice Spike to prevent them from getting a single power attack in. How about another mage? Use two Storm Atronachs/Thralls and hit them with dual-cast Chain Lightning/Thunderbolt to stagger them while sapping away their magicka to prevent them from getting a single spell off. Is your target immune to either of these? Use a fire spell and kite them, or let your Dremora Lords get their attention first and then unload on them.

I think you're a bit too hasty to discard the utility destruction magick has in combat. Like Archery and Melee, when coupled with the right talents it becomes godly.