1. #6181
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiddish View Post
    I just have ONE question.

    If I buy Skyrim RIGHT NOW from Steam (for pc), do I have to buy/download anything else, or can I play just with the original game from Steam without having to worry about having glitches/problems?

    This is what has caused me not to buy the game yet. I don't want to buy it JUST to have to download/buy other stuff to fix it or whatever, but I really wanna play the game.
    I only have the orginal skyrim, no addon, on PC
    I bought a physical version and activate the key on steam, then download the game from steam (go figure, my physical copy is in french, my steam en english, i wanted to play the game in english)

    I have no problem. Steam has patch the game to the latest version, i have yet to encounter a noticeable bug. I have installed about 10 mod from steam workshop, mostly convinience mod, some mod require you to have dawnguard but the wide majority of them works with vanilla skyrim, so no worry.

    As mod i have
    - a diffuculty mod that enhenced the difficulty of enemy except dragon
    - a dragon mod that enhanced the difficulty of dragon, that make for truly epic fight.
    - a dragon mod that enhenced dragon loot (harder fight, better loot, yay heroic version)
    - a mod to craft arrows from iron to ebony.
    - a mod to craft dragonbone weapon and arrow (crafting dragon bone weapon is a feature of dawnguard, but with this mod, you can craft them with vanilla skyrim)
    - a mod the enhanced UI (skyUI, must have for everyone)
    - a mod that enhaced texture because my cpu and gpu can handle it (PC skyrim was already far more beautiful than console, but with this mod, it's even more)
    - a mod that make female character naked under their armor (just because ^^)

    I have heard some mod are in the making that remodel many part of tamriel, notably daggerfall. could be intertesting to visit. It would be interesting if somehow, you could find a way to play older elders scrolls game with skyrim engine and game mechanics.

  2. #6182
    I can't stand SkyUI and prefer the console port version for PC. Am I a bad PC gamer?

    Also...and so it begins. I'm going to have to try damn hard not to read up on any new info about Dragonborn. It was easier to do for Dawnguard for some reason...
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

  3. #6183
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I can't stand SkyUI and prefer the console port version for PC. Am I a bad PC gamer?
    Everyone has their opinion, I just dont understand how you can like the original mess instead of SkyUI where everything is sorted by different categories (alphabetical order, value, weight,...) and you even have search bar.

  4. #6184
    Be careful using those mods that make dragons tougher. Getting Fus Ro Dahed off a mountain is funny the first time but annoying as fuck after that.

  5. #6185
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Everyone has their opinion, I just dont understand how you can like the original mess instead of SkyUI where everything is sorted by different categories (alphabetical order, value, weight,...) and you even have search bar.
    I guess I just got used to it. I tried it as well and wasn't a fan. I liked what it did but it bugged me for some reason.

    I went from PS3 version to PC version when I built my PC, maybe that's why.

  6. #6186
    Quote Originally Posted by Valenhil View Post
    You can play just fine, but most mods will start assuming you have all the DLC as time goes by.
    Lol OK....yeah "most mods". Even though 85% of the mods on Steam Workshop and the Nexus pertain to Vanilla Skyrim.

  7. #6187
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyderpp View Post
    Lol OK....yeah "most mods". Even though 85% of the mods on Steam Workshop and the Nexus pertain to Vanilla Skyrim.
    Oh you sure showed him! Including all the trash mods most people don't give a shit about!

    But grats on ignoring that he said as time goes by.
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2012-12-04 at 08:00 PM.

  8. #6188
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Oh you sure showed him! Including all the trash mods most people don't give a shit about!

    But grats on ignoring that he said as time goes by.
    ok I'm going to buy the game today so I have one more question.

    Where can I download all of these mods you guys are talking about? and do I have to pay for them?
    Are there any of these mods that I HAVE to get? someone mentioned one that makes the UI better looking etc...

  9. #6189
    Herald of the Titans Yakobro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiddish View Post
    ok I'm going to buy the game today so I have one more question.

    Where can I download all of these mods you guys are talking about? and do I have to pay for them?
    Are there any of these mods that I HAVE to get? someone mentioned one that makes the UI better looking etc...
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/
    All free (probably some paid ones on the internet somewhere if you look hard enough though...).
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/topalltime/?adult=0 for top mods of all time, pick what you want as you go down I guess.

  10. #6190
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiddish View Post
    ok I'm going to buy the game today so I have one more question.

    Where can I download all of these mods you guys are talking about? and do I have to pay for them?
    Are there any of these mods that I HAVE to get? someone mentioned one that makes the UI better looking etc...
    I'm gonna copy and paste a response I gave to this before. Some of it has nothing to do with what you asked but it's still good advice and I'm too lazy to change it.

    Each NMM compatible mod on the Nexus has a button that says "download with manager". You'll want to click that and it will download it to NMM's directory. Then when you are in NMM you'll want to click on the mods tab which will have a list of everything downloaded to the NMM directory. Highlight a mod you want to run and click the activate button and that will automatically install it for you. Uninstalling them is often times as simple as just clicking the deactivate button (though some heavy duty mods might require a little bit more).

    Another thing you'll want to get is BOSS. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6
    This isn't an actual mod, this is a seperate program that has a database of most of the popular mods and will modify your load order in order to prevent conflicts. Run this after you have activated all the mods you want and then read its summary to check and make sure you aren't running conflicting mods.

    You'll also probably want the Skyrim Script Extender at some point. http://skse.silverlock.org/
    Download the current release and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE READ ME. It's not complicated, just copying files into a few folders, but a lot of mods these days require it.

    After that, just download mods that interest you. Go through the Nexus top 100 (I suggest filtering out the adult stuff, unless that's really what you're looking for) and grab what sounds interesting.

    You really should play through the game once without mods though.

  11. #6191
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    You really should play through the game once without mods though.
    The rest of what he said was important, but this is the most important.

  12. #6192
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaira View Post
    There´s nothing bad about that as it is just how the economy works nowadays. Someone pays money to get the exclusive rights for something.

    I see no point besides mods why playing Skyrim on the PC is so much better than consoles. Yeah of course you can argue that the mods make the game good and that is true but playing Skyrim with a keyboard is just crap. The xbox controller is vastly superior in regards of that game. So you would have to connect your controller anyway.

    I am still glad that I bought a "crapbox", as some call it here, back in the days. I get to play Dragonborn today and even get exclusive games like Halo 4 or Forza ... yeah feels good to own a "crapbox".
    Mods aren't just additions to the game, they change the game. From the POOR textures to unfixed bugs, mods offer solutions to all. And I would have to disagree - I love playing KBM in Skyrim.

    And yes, it is bad. It shows that Bethesda is willing to ignore a fraction of their community for money. I'm not too upset with it, as the content is not fully exclusive, but it does show that Bethesda is willing to compromise their integrity, and may get worse as newer titles release (fully exclusive content comes to mind). Hopefully it will never get to that point.

  13. #6193
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    And yes, it is bad. It shows that Bethesda is willing to ignore a fraction of their community for money. I'm not too upset with it, as the content is not fully exclusive, but it does show that Bethesda is willing to compromise their integrity, and may get worse as newer titles release (fully exclusive content comes to mind). Hopefully it will never get to that point.
    What about people who own macs? They're largely ignored by almost every major video game company, despite being a large population of people who love gaming as well. If it's exclusive content you're worried about, you've already been dealing with it for quite some time.

  14. #6194
    The Lightbringer Zethras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Acherus is my home.
    Posts
    3,073
    When I try and download Dragonborn on my Xbox, only the french version is available. I live in Canada, so that shouldn't be happening.

    Does anyone have information if this is a bug or something?

    EDIT: Got it resolved, so disregard.
    Last edited by Zethras; 2012-12-04 at 11:33 PM.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

  15. #6195
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,207
    Are the spears really just going to turn into arrows when you loot them? I understand that it's a small portion of the DLC, but it's a bummer if they do.

  16. #6196
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,620
    Man, just saw the video on what it's like to ride a dragon mount, that got me pretty excited, but I'm even more excited to see what kind of mods people conjure up when it's released for PC.


  17. #6197
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    I guess I just got used to it. I tried it as well and wasn't a fan. I liked what it did but it bugged me for some reason.

    I went from PS3 version to PC version when I built my PC, maybe that's why.
    Same here. Also, the game's kinda "slow" on my computer (I run it on higher settings than I should so low frame rate) and the console UI works better for than that SkyUI personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

  18. #6198
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    What about people who own macs? They're largely ignored by almost every major video game company, despite being a large population of people who love gaming as well. If it's exclusive content you're worried about, you've already been dealing with it for quite some time.
    Yeah I know that feeling too. I play mostly on my xbox because the only games that I can play on my iMac are WoW, SC2 and D3. The only gaming company that does not outright say "f*ck you" to mac owners is Blizzard.

    So yeah this is how it works nowadays. You have PC exclusive games (basically every MMO), xbox exclusive games (HALO, FORZA), Playstation exclusive games (Gran Turismo, Uncharted) and Bethesda made a deal with Microsoft to give the DLCs first to the xbox owners.

    I can understand that to be honest. I could basically rage all day long because there are literally no games for MACs so I think you guys can get over that Dragonborn thing.

    BTW: Played it already and I have to say that it is simply amazing. Really well done to be honest especially how things turn out with that other Dragonborn and Dragon riding is absolutely amazing !!
    Last edited by The Illusive Man; 2012-12-05 at 08:37 AM.

  19. #6199
    The Lightbringer Fhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Carnished Toast
    Posts
    3,222
    I stumbled upon this astounding list of mods that conforms to the lore of the game:

    http://www.skyrimgems.com/index.html

    They all sound very intriguing. I may have to spend a couple of years trying even half of them out.

    On that note, what does de-leveled or unleveled mean? Many of the mods advertise that as a feature, but I never figured out what it meant.

  20. #6200
    Titan Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    13,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    I stumbled upon this astounding list of mods that conforms to the lore of the game:

    http://www.skyrimgems.com/index.html

    They all sound very intriguing. I may have to spend a couple of years trying even half of them out.

    On that note, what does de-leveled or unleveled mean? Many of the mods advertise that as a feature, but I never figured out what it meant.
    A lot of interesting stuff there. The ones under economy and realism are especially interesting.

    By the way, your avatar is awesome.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •