Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    1) it's 100% legal already. if you can do it, do it. if someone went through and optimized skyrim's code, they'd end up creating the #1 mod of all time by a large margin.
    AFAIK the only things you can play with are scripts, not actual engine source. The latter is the truly important part regarding performance, and it's probably copyrighted. I can't speak for the code quality since I've never looked at their source, but I have a truly hard time believing their code lives up to those claims, especially with the added conspiracy.

It's a simple fact of development that when a project with a due date has literally millions of lines of code, things like performance and debugging take a backseat to simply making sure it's a video game be release. Good code, as stated by an executive in the US Department of Defense, has 10 ways it can mess up for every thousand lines of code. If their code is considered good by military standards, the game can screw up tens of thousands of times. If it were considered "rocket shuttle code", it could mess up 1 time every 10,000 lines - that's hundreds of places for something of Skyrim's magnitude.

In short, I'm not believing it unless I talk to someone who has (likely illegally) decompiled their source (not scripts released to developers) and viewed the code themselves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Skyrim Game Jam video featuring footage of building your own home released in February 2012.

Build Your Own Home mod initial release in June 2012.

Hrmmm...
    Yeah shows exactly how that DLC was based on a mod

Hi, so I've been wanting to try out Skyrim and got it for pc, only I'm seriously not getting why it's so popular. The graphics don't appeal to me at all on ultra settings, and the keybinds are giving me a serious headache, I can't rebind tab to exit stuff? Here's my question: would I enjoy it more on the ps3, I don't care about mods at all, and I think the graphics and controls will be easier to immerse myself in on a console and tv than on the pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    Hi, so I've been wanting to try out Skyrim and got it for pc, only I'm seriously not getting why it's so popular. The graphics don't appeal to me at all on ultra settings, and the keybinds are giving me a serious headache, I can't rebind tab to exit stuff? Here's my question: would I enjoy it more on the ps3, I don't care about mods at all, and I think the graphics and controls will be easier to immerse myself in on a console and tv than on the pc.
    Why not just plug in a pad and hook your PC up to the TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Why not just plug in a pad and hook your PC up to the TV?
    Unfortunately the tv is far away from the pc where I'm at and I tend not to bother with gamepads on pc as there's usually a bunch of issues with them on most games I've tried them. Is there anyway to rebind TAB? I don't use WASD as azerty keyboards over here are usually a pain for it.
    Last edited by Elrandir; 2012-12-17 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    AFAIK the only things you can play with are scripts, not actual engine source. The latter is the truly important part regarding performance, and it's probably copyrighted. I can't speak for the code quality since I've never looked at their source, but I have a truly hard time believing their code lives up to those claims, especially with the added conspiracy.

It's a simple fact of development that when a project with a due date has literally millions of lines of code, things like performance and debugging take a backseat to simply making sure it's a video game be release. Good code, as stated by an executive in the US Department of Defense, has 10 ways it can mess up for every thousand lines of code. If their code is considered good by military standards, the game can screw up tens of thousands of times. If it were considered "rocket shuttle code", it could mess up 1 time every 10,000 lines - that's hundreds of places for something of Skyrim's magnitude.

In short, I'm not believing it unless I talk to someone who has (likely illegally) decompiled their source (not scripts released to developers) and viewed the code themselves.
    1) i made it PAINFULLY obvious who to speak to about this....alexanderblade. he's a russian guy, speaks good english, easier to reach him via his website though and he can be a bitch to get hold of.

2) we both know you'll never try. you don't want to unravel the secrets of skyrim code, you want to argue. again, alexanderblade is who you want. he's a russian guy, speaks good english, easier to reach him via his website though and he can be a bitch to get hold of.

3) guys like him are the ones who created mods that fixed skyrim's shortcomings at launch. if not for them, skyrim would still utilize up to 2gb of ram, would still stutter with 1024 or better textures regardless of the machine, shadows would still be sparkly shit everywhere you went. hell my marked for death fix was incorporated into the unofficial patch and skyre, bethesda's version is STILL broken and all they need to do is tick a flag in the CK to fix it. that screams "lazy, uncaring, modders will fix it"

4) show me what YOU have done for skyrim, link your great mods that prove you have at least a small understanding of the game

---------- Post added 2012-12-17 at 08:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    you can quadruple the resolution of the textures with mods
    keybinds can be fully mapped with mods
    ps3 is a worse version of what you're bitching about now, so no, you don't like it. skyrim without mods is shit

---------- Post added 2012-12-17 at 08:08 AM ----------

Skyrim Game Jam video featuring footage of building your own home released in February 2012.

Build Your Own Home mod initial release in June 2012.

Hrmmm...
    super had a working alpha of that mod in march and said he started working on it initially in december. if you know shit about modding skyrim, you know that about 90% of that game jam video has already come out in the form of DLC or a mod and did months ago.

you pro-developer folks are hilarious. same folks who defend everything blizzard does. that drone attitude of being afraid to question what you're being sold plagues us all. you are part of the problem. developers know this and exploit it.

PARDON ME IF I CAN'T TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY lol

this idea that developers who work for companies are better at what they do than people who have not only been doing it longer but doing it without restrictions is a joke. have you worked in that environment? it sucks the fun out of the job. 1 of the guys who is employed by bethesda but anonymously mods on the side for the nexus said that very thing, "it's only fun when i'm able to do it for myself. it feels like a job the rest of the time and crunch time is dreadful"
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-12-17 at 02:29 PM.

super had a working alpha of that mod in march and said he started working on it initially in december.

you pro-developer folks are hilarious. same folks who defend everything blizzard does. that drone attitude of being afraid to question what you're being sold plagues us all. you are part of the problem. developers know this and exploit it.

PARDON ME IF I CAN'T TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY lol
    Last time I checked March was after February. You might want to check that yourself. And so what if he began work in December (not that I believe that)? Do you believe Bethesda was monitoring his house and stole his idea?

Plus, if you had actually listened to the Game Jam, they showed all of the work internally in December.

And did you just make a comment about taking others seriously after insinuating a mod was masturbating at the thought of arguing with you? Wow, dude. Wow.
    this idea that developers who work for companies are better at what they do than people who have not only been doing it longer but doing it without restrictions is a joke. have you worked in that environment? it sucks the fun out of the job. 1 of the guys who is employed by bethesda but anonymously mods on the side for the nexus said that very thing, "it's only fun when i'm able to do it for myself. it feels like a job the rest of the time and crunch time is dreadful"
    The idea that modders are inherently better when they didn't have to make the damn game that they are making content for is laughable.

And a job feels like a job?! ALERT THE PRESS!

Not that my point was that anyone is better, just that it's a flat out lie that Bethesda stole the idea for Hearthfire from a modder.
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2012-12-17 at 02:47 PM.

Last time I checked March was after February. You might want to check that yourself. And so what if he began work in December (not that I believe that)? Do you believe Bethesda was monitoring his house and stole his idea?

Plus, if you had actually listened to the Game Jam, they showed all of the work internally in December.

And did you just make a comment about taking others seriously after insinuating a mod was masturbating at the thought of arguing with you? Wow, dude. Wow.
    i believe they saw his mod, used some good ideas (mainly the workbench concept and materials) and added orphans to it. the way you're talking about it i'm about 100% sure you have no clue what is in his mod and what is in hearthfire compared to that 3 seconds of a roof being put on a house in the game jam vid lol

none of them invented home building. i've been building homes for over a decade. i didn't invent it either. i have both the hearthfire and build your own home mod and the first thing i said when i fired up hearthfire is "HOLY SIMILAR"

it's not a big deal, modders KNOW that everything they do is owned by bethesda to the extent that they can use it in their games. most modders would be honored. i haven't met one yet that saw his idea generate profit for bethesda and say "this isn't right". they do it for the love of doing it. modding can be fun. it's like drawing, just an expression of creativity.

so my point remains, you're what's wrong with gaming. you're a developer's wet dream.

"if it costs money it has to be better"
    just saying that makes me think of some stupid litte blonde bitch with daddy's credit card buying $100 jeans with holes and stains in them lol. so fucking dumb.

Please stop with the personal attacks.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-12-17 at 03:39 PM.

"if it costs money it has to be better"
    just saying that makes me think of some stupid litte blonde bitch with daddy's credit card buying $100 jeans with holes and stains in them lol. so fucking dumb.
    Then I guess it's a good thing I never said anything remotely close to that, huh?

Would you care to continue this conversation without lacing your posts with ad hominem? I guess we could continue it regardless, but odds are you're well on your way to a forum vacation...

but odds are you're well on your way to a forum vacation...
    Let's hope. What a pleasant character...

tell me why you think content they charge for (DLC) is superior to the terrabytes of mods out there that cost nothing.
    Why? I never said they were.

I clearly stated my point two posts ago and my last post also commented on how I never said anything to the effect of these words you are trying to shove down my throat.
    if i had to guess...console skyrim player with hurt feelings and this is jealousy coming out?
    Are you sure you aren't the one masturbating furiously over this argument?

Oh sweet Jesus, are you done editing your post? You've damn near completely rewritten the whole thing.

Please stop with the personal attacks.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-12-17 at 03:52 PM.

Why? I never said they were.

I clearly stated my point two posts ago and my last post also commented on how I never said anything to the effect of these words you are trying to shove down my throat.

Are you sure you aren't the one masturbating furiously over this argument?

Oh sweet Jesus, are you done editing your post? You've damn near completely rewritten the whole thing.
    oh, i see what you did now. you edited a lot of your posts. now you're saying that bethesda didn't get their ideas in hearthfire from build your own home

so you think it's a coincidence that the workbench, materials, building process, and the script he wrote himself are all incorporated into hearthfire? you can believe that if you want but it doesn't help your credibility to do so.

the vid you linked showed a house without a roof, then a house with a roof. at this point, that's your proof.

c'mon, i'm done with you. i know that you know at this point you're beaten and we're cluttering the thread. if this was a court and we were opposing lawyers you'd be buying my lunch right now and asking me how i do it.

Stop the raging and personal attacks.

Deleted
    I really don´t understand why there is such a hate between PC and console players on the last pages. Seriously? I too play Skyrim on the xbox and there is nothing wrong about it.

Yeah there are no mods there but where´s the problem? If Hearthfire was a copy of that house build mod or not is kinda irrelevant.

BTW: Why are you considered a "bitch" with daddy´s credit card if you like the Skyrim DLCs? I think some PC players here are just crying because they still have no DLCs (or at least not Dragonborn).

Personal attacks and PC vs. Console remarks are not allow, especially right after a moderator's warning.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-12-17 at 04:05 PM.

oh, i see what you did now. you edited a lot of your posts. now you're saying that bethesda didn't get their ideas in hearthfire from build your own home
    I didn't go back and edit my posts, if that's what you're implying. And that has been my point from the start.
    so you think it's a coincidence that the workbench, materials, building process, and the script he wrote himself are all incorporated into hearthfire? you can believe that if you want but it doesn't help your credibility to do so.
    If you've got the code laid out before you and can say that they are the same then you definitely have a case for theft. I have a feeling that's not the case though.

But I don't see why the workbench is such an amazing idea that Bethesda must have stolen it. I mean, there's the obvious parallel to real life as the obvious inspiration, but there's also the fact that Hearthfire does it differently. In the mod you have that one workbench, in Hearthfire each room has its own workbench. And the materials and building process are just common sense. I mean, how else would you do it?

Also in the mod you select a theme and then it automatically fills the whole room with fixtures, whereas Hearthfire allows for the building fo individual fixtures (lights, chests, beds, etc.). Hearthfire allows you to be more precise. Though I do praise supernasty for making some very awesome decorations.

Must Bethesda completely scrap their plans to do somehting because a modder beats them to the punch with a similar idea? Must they go back to the drawing board? That's a lot of wasted work...
    the vid you linked showed a house without a roof, then a house with a roof. at this point, that's your proof.
    Because the knowledge that Bethesda was working on this before the other guy is all the proof I need to know they didn't steal his idea.

Deleted
    Does anyone know a good, immersive and light vampire mod thats bugfree(more or less)? Oh and compatible with Dawnguard too.

I've looked for 3 days now and am about to give up and just go with vanilla vampires. I just wanting that reverses the stages (doesn't really make sense that you get weak from feeding) and makes walking in sun more dangerous. Subtle changes are fine but I really prefer not to get spells, powers, ranks, minions and such or godlike boosts like jump distance etc.

The reason for it is just a little more immersion and improved gameplay not the vanilla "why is my stamina coming back so slowly?.. oh right, Im a vampire and it's day".

But overall, I'm willing to keep open mind and try anything as long as it doesn't

-add bugged animations or reuse vanilla animations but makes them look off
    -add text conversations(or bad voice acting), NPCs, followers, quests and weapons
    -add godmode powers of mess up the game otherwise

Deleted
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9717

This seems to cover most things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Does anyone know a good, immersive and light vampire mod thats bugfree(more or less)? Oh and compatible with Dawnguard too.

I've looked for 3 days now and am about to give up and just go with vanilla vampires. I just wanting that reverses the stages (doesn't really make sense that you get weak from feeding) and makes walking in sun more dangerous. Subtle changes are fine but I really prefer not to get spells, powers, ranks, minions and such or godlike boosts like jump distance etc.

The reason for it is just a little more immersion and improved gameplay not the vanilla "why is my stamina coming back so slowly?.. oh right, Im a vampire and it's day".

But overall, I'm willing to keep open mind and try anything as long as it doesn't

-add bugged animations or reuse vanilla animations but makes them look off
    -add text conversations(or bad voice acting), NPCs, followers, quests and weapons
    -add godmode powers of mess up the game otherwise
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9717

Don't think it adds anything (unless you want, can include vampire hunters) just tweaks vampires to what you want.
    afaik if you end up feeling too powerful you can tweak the values.

lol beaten

<stuff>
    It's clear you don't know what you're talking about. I'm asking about the important stuff, i.e. graphics/physics source, pipeline source, etc. . .you're talking about scripts and code released for modders to work with. I've investigated, and the material in question is copyrighted. I apologize if I'm not interested in illegally decompiling copyrighted code, nor in dealing with people who do that as well. Leave your exaggerated claims (when you're done being banned) elsewhere - this forum has enough of those already.

I've just downloaded Interface Hard Coded Key Tweaks, it links the character-meny key to tab, so yay now I have a mousebutton configured to exit me out of a dialogue window/menu, except it doesn't work for conversations and when I open a chest and have to lockpick it, I'm just stuck and all I can do is alt+f4 to get out of it. Am I missing something or can someone help me out with this?