Thread: kitty questions

Deleted

kitty questions

sorry for the dumb and tiring questions that your probably tired of, but the search doesnt seem to work properly to me:

i see top feral druids dont have almost any hit and expertise, and im quite confused since i thought i had to cap them

thanks in advance

yours truly, a nooby

10+ Year Old Account
    Your behind the boss [ to Shred ] and a DoT based class. You dont need any hit. If you Rip missed it refunds quite a bit of your energy so its not a big deal.

Deleted
    Most of the time we are behind the boss and energy is refunded if we miss.
    So gogo mastery and crit (and haste when it becomes valuable with better gear) !

Further expanding.

Being behind the boss is nice but all melee classes should stay behind a boss anyway. Doesn't change that we'd need the same 8% hit and 6.5% exp caps so our attacks always land.

There are 2 main reasons why we do not "need" hit or exp caps to do solid DPS.

First, we're a resource-limited class/spec rather than a GCD-limited class/spec. In the latter case (Mage or whatever) one way to increase one's own deeps is to use every GCD to maximize the number of spells cast in amount of time X (spells that land, that is). We, however, will always end up being energy starved and waiting on regen so having to recast a spell is no big deal. As mentioned, 80% of the spell's cost is refunded on a miss/dodge. The remaining 20% will be regen'd by the time the GCD is up so there's little real loss. It's there, but small.

Second, a lot of our damage comes from DoT's. Top 3 damage sources should be Rake, Rip and Shred. Once rake or rip is on a boss, ticks are guaranteed hits. They can't miss, so hit/exp have no value while they're ticking.

Third reason I'd mention is perhaps smaller in comparison, but basically we don't have any real mechanic where we'd have a spell with a CD we'd need to keep rolling to increase further damage. I don't play a lot of classes, but the example that comes to mind is an Elem Shaman whose Lava Burst will always crit if the target is affected by Flame Shock and can have its CD reset each tick. If the shock misses, you lose that bonus til you can reapply it.

Edit: All that being said, the worth of our secondaries kinda suck compared to other classes and hit/exp are not that far behind. If it makes you more comfortable with your rotation, it's fine to cap them. You'll get lower average DPS, but a lower standard deviation too.
    Last edited by Selverein; 2011-06-04 at 05:18 AM.

Deleted
    Ye, what Selverein said. Same goes for a destro lock that misses his conflagrate, it's very annoying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selverein View Post
    Further expanding.

Being behind the boss is nice but all melee classes should stay behind a boss anyway. Doesn't change that we'd need the same 8% hit and 6.5% exp caps so our attacks always land.

There are 2 main reasons why we do not "need" hit or exp caps to do solid DPS.

First, we're a resource-limited class/spec rather than a GCD-limited class/spec. In the latter case (Mage or whatever) one way to increase one's own deeps is to use every GCD to maximize the number of spells cast in amount of time X (spells that land, that is). We, however, will always end up being energy starved and waiting on regen so having to recast a spell is no big deal. As mentioned, 80% of the spell's cost is refunded on a miss/dodge. The remaining 20% will be regen'd by the time the GCD is up so there's little real loss. It's there, but small.

Second, a lot of our damage comes from DoT's. Top 3 damage sources should be Rake, Rip and Shred. Once rake or rip is on a boss, ticks are guaranteed hits. They can't miss, so hit/exp have no value while they're ticking.

Third reason I'd mention is perhaps smaller in comparison, but basically we don't have any real mechanic where we'd have a spell with a CD we'd need to keep rolling to increase further damage. I don't play a lot of classes, but the example that comes to mind is an Elem Shaman whose Lava Burst will always crit if the target is affected by Flame Shock and can have its CD reset each tick. If the shock misses, you lose that bonus til you can reapply it.

Edit: All that being said, the worth of our secondaries kinda suck compared to other classes and hit/exp are not that far behind. If it makes you more comfortable with your rotation, it's fine to cap them. You'll get lower average DPS, but a lower standard deviation too.
    thank you for this. To me being honest is quite frustrating to miss attacks, so I think ill go and try to cap them

I've been running with hit- and expertise-cap for awhile since it's really nice for Sinestra. While a crit/mastery setup is better for most other bosses, hit/expertise isn't far behind, so unless you're looking to min/max I'd say it's fine to cap those to caps.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaws View Post
    sorry for the dumb and tiring questions that your probably tired of, but the search doesnt seem to work properly to me:

i see top feral druids dont have almost any hit and expertise, and im quite confused since i thought i had to cap them

thanks in advance

yours truly, a nooby
    You've never had to cap them nor is it the most ideal to cap them. Enery lost on missed attacks get refunded. The "top feral druids" dont get hit or expertise capped cause it's a DPS loss to do so.

The dps loss is so minimal at this point (~100dps) that I would say it's more than worth capping hit/exp. 100 dps easily falls within a margin of error for the sim results.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe its marginal but id still choose what gives me more DPS. It's not like you need to be hit/expertised capped for other reasons as a DPS.

Doing less DPS just so you can say "my shit dont miss" isnt a justification imo.

Good luck missing that potted/TFed Rip. That alone will account for your 100dps.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barawr View Post
    Good luck missing that potted/TFed Rip. That alone will account for your 100dps.
    and I shouild be hit/expertise capped so my final death strike doesnt miss and wipe me & 24 people too, right ?

LOL, whatever man. Until you are pulling ranked #s don't diss it. I'm not here to convince you.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barawr View Post
    LOL, whatever man. Until you are pulling ranked #s don't diss it. I'm not here to convince you.
    You would do a bad job of convincing me.

I'm looking at my last DPS fight, which was magmaw and I looked into the log to see what percentage my rip was missing at. It was 0.8%. Not really significant enough for me to throw away DPS stats just so it wont ever get dodged.

but if being hit/expertise capped (or one or the other) really is that good why do all guides specificially say its not important to reach those caps ?
    Last edited by rated; 2011-06-04 at 03:53 PM.

Because its not

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post
    I'm looking at my last DPS fight, which was magmaw and I looked into the log to see what percentage my rip was missing at. It was 0.8%. Not really significant enough for me to throw away DPS stats just so it wont ever get dodged.
    You know how you can dot up the head before it goes up?
    It's for things like that hit/exp cap is convenient, and the simulators won't even account for with default settings.