Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Hunter, question about "rare spawn" pets

So my question is do rare spawns have better stats or perhaps unique spells or is it mostly just a cosmetic thing to have them? Meaning, they just look a little different.

Thanks for any input
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

they have unique spells and abilities

rare spawn pets merely means one special skin.. basicly if we have the spiders, we will see 3 of the colours common and the fourth as a "rare" one, same goes for the helldoggys.. most likely the only REAL new skin will be a spirit beast, if even.. though one is to hope that I'm wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolami View Post
    That is entirely false.

The whole thing with rare spawns is that they almost always have a unique skin, and I saw almost always because there are some rare beasts with the same model as common ones. However, some of the rare spawns are really worth getting if you want a cool looking pet.

Spirit beasts are a must if you're a BM hunter (and hey, all the cool kids are...), the original Cata rares (Terrorpene, Sambas, Madexx, Ghostcrawler, and Karoma) all have a unique skin that no other mob has, although Sambas and Madexx share the same skin with the Alliance and Horde guild mounts respectively.

They just have unique skins and are a challenge to find/tame. That's really it. Their spells depend on what family they belong to, like quite a few of them are spirit beasts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Back in the days of learning individual pet skills based on the tamed creature, rares would have higher ranks or skills normally not found on that "species" of beast.

Now its just cosmetics.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where the bad salad is kept crisp on ice.
    rare pets used to have unique spells, but not any more

im pretty sure one of the cat quest bosses in STV used to be the only pet with cobra strike....and now most pets can learn some variation with the "new" pet talent trees

today, there is only bragging right value and appearance
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    He's riding to work, he's not escaping from a star destroyer

I accidentally, stupidly killed maddex while doing Archaeology, not my proudest moment

I'm not a hunter, though my friend is, he was pretty angry...

Though I agree rares should have epic twists..
    Cant think of what my signature would have to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Dracono View Post

Though I agree rares should have epic twists..
    I'm not sure with whom you are agreeing. I will go ahead and guess it is a bad. From a game design perspective, giving special abilities to a rare spawn is a loss. (Mind you, if by 'epic twists' you mean that people have to show skill (beyond camping patience) to get special skins, I could see where you are coming from.)

10+ Year Old Account
    So its what I thought, its just cosmetic

Thanks guys <3
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, for the misty days when Takk the Leaper was able to chase down and attack mounted players, or if when you had The Rake every caster in the BG shrank away from you because of his attack speed... (Not so much when you constantly had to cycle out new pets to learn new ranks of claw or dash ... and raptors had no family skill and no animations other than run/attack.)

No, nothing makes them better than any other better except the cosmetic look.
    DPS is normalized throughout all pets. My rare lion Sambas does the same DPS as a wolf I could get in Durotar.
    Some pets just look cooler than others

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolami View Post

Do you even play a hunter?

Unique pets just mean appearance changes. That's it. Blizzard has standardized our pets to make them all equal, if it's in the cat family, it has cat abilities. If it's in the spirit beast category, it has Spirit beast abilities. The ONLY thing you get is a different look.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have different skin except for spirit beasts which have a heal ability (that is pretty good) and they are all rare spawns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syatek92 View Post
    No, nothing makes them better than any other better except the cosmetic look.
    DPS is normalized throughout all pets

Hate to say this, but you're wrong as well. DPS isn't normalized through all pets. Some pets do more dps than others, and have different abilities based upon what family of pets they are.

A good example of this?

Glad you asked:

Ang's defensive stats are also higher than Shadow's, innately because he's a turtle.
    Last edited by Minifig; 2011-06-06 at 12:07 AM.

Im lvling a hunter soley for the new spiders. I gotta say, I'm in love with em. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skybluesky View Post
    That wasn't a good example of anything, unfortunately. Note the bird's health -- it has its baseline stats, not its 85, talented stats.
    He was talking about DPS, not health.

Pet's do relatively the same DPS but at the moment Ferocity & Cunning pets do slightly more DPS then Tenacity...

Quote - EJ's - http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t110880-...mastery_4_1_a/ (under the pets area)

"All 3 pet types (Ferocity, Tenacity and Cunning) inherit the SAME AP scaling, so the only difference in the potential damage output is the pet TALENTS. That being said, right now, Ferocity and Cunning pets are both close in theoretical damage...."

Quote - hunter's union - http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/...for-cataclysm/ (1st paragraph on pets)

"In Cataclysm our choice of hunter pets is based entirely on WHAT BUFFS OUR RAIDS NEED, since ALL PETS OF ANY GIVEN SPEC DO THE SAME DPS. Despite that, I get asked what the best dps pet is all the time...."

If you need more evidence you can READ!!!!!!! for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Minifig View Post
    He was talking about DPS, not health.
    The point is, that pet had not taken all your stats so ofc it's going to have lower dps.