Mobo, Problem or not a problem?

Okay so i purchased a prebuilt nearly a week ago, Everything works fine however when i turn on the Mobo it does a weired thing that makes me wonder, Is it broken / getting broken or is that just the way it is?

When i first power on my computer it shows the Asus screen followed by about 0.03 of a second the screen goes black followed by a very loud BEEP noise, After the noise the Asus screen comes back and it continues to do its normal boot

Again this probably could just be the way this mobo starts up or something, But i just wanna be sure that or if there is a problem with it?

Mobo is the P8p67-m

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Check the manual for the motherboard. If it is an error code then it will be listed under the troubleshooting guide in the manual.

However you should know that every motherboard ever built will show its start up screen then go blank then a single beep indicates the POST has completed successfully and the computer will then choose the boot device and start Windows.

You said your Motherboard was from Asus correct?

The beep you are hearing is the POST (Power On Self Test) and the number and length of the beeps tell you the state of the computer. If you google "Asus post codes" the first result "ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum-Post Codes - ASUS Member" has a table of the codes and what they mean.

Now you say you get 1 beep. Depending on the length of the beep a short quick beep would mean that something is wrong (DRAM refresh failure in this case) where as a long beep (about a second in length) would mean that "POST has passed all tests" which means all is fine.

If your unsure as to if the length is a short or long beep I would advise calling Asus and dealing with their tech support they will be able to tell you quickly enough if all is fine and maybe even address the volume level of the beep if theres a way to turn it down a bit (You don't want it all the way off incase something does go wrong and the computer won't turn on as these codes will tell you or a tech where the problem is)
    Last edited by Gundartg; 2011-06-04 at 10:05 PM.

Its probably normal.
    I have an Asus M487TD/USB3 and it beeps like 10 times, shows like 11 screens and only then it boots.

If there was something wrong it wouldn't post anyway so its fine.