Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Getting a job for a few days isn't that hard.
    And if he gets one, he'll be able to get the $1000 build even before ToR is released.
    I've been searching foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and I've had a few interviews, but nobody wants to hire me I guess!

HDD: Use old one
    RAM: 4gb DDR3 $40
    Case: Use old one
    PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520C 520W $60
    GPU: GTS 450 $110
    CPU: Phenom II x4 840 $105
    MOBO: MSI 870A-G54 $99
    CD Drive: Use old one
    Total: $414

I still think you should save up and increase your price point so that you don't have to replace this system in a couple of months.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kannable View Post
    Ehhh... 40ish FPS on med graphics? Is that within range? :P

---------- Post added 2011-06-05 at 12:43 AM ----------

The current harddrive I have is 80 gigs. ><
    FPS: Not to far away anyway. Just dont be suprised if you have to put it on low.

Hard drive:
    Solution 1: Get WOW on a flash drive if you got one. Unsure if 32GB is enough.
    Solution 2: Use the one you got. If its IDE and Not SATA im unsure about it.
    Solution 3: Buy a new one.

Solution 4: If you live with somone that owns a computer. Ask if they can add WOW on a Local network. Playing WOW directly from oneone elses computer works perfect.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go down to your nearest busy train station and get a job distributing the free newspapers for 2-3 weeks. Easy money.

Hey guys! I've been using this terrible Dell Inspiron 6400 for gaming for years now, and I looked through pricepoint builds and the lowest I saw was 500$. The problem is, I only have 400$ available to me at this time! So I'm wondering if it's possible to build a decent (able to run WoW well, and especially able to run ToR decently) computer for 400. Any specific builds would also be appreciated! (Sorry if this is against this forums' rules! I'll delete it if it is)
    Sell your current computer for $200 and bam, you have $600 to milk, meaning you can buy that other computer you just mentioned.

=)
    My armory
    DK tanking stuffs since WoTLK beta's first day of release.

Actually I have a real life, I'm just on my friends computer while we have a drink around his house before we go BMX'ing down the castle near by his house and found all the geeks spouting rubbish.
    Most fail troll thread ever. Featuring Boub as last post!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys! I've been using this terrible Dell Inspiron 6400 for gaming for years now, and I looked through pricepoint builds and the lowest I saw was 500$. The problem is, I only have 400$ available to me at this time! So I'm wondering if it's possible to build a decent (able to run WoW well, and especially able to run ToR decently) computer for 400. Any specific builds would also be appreciated! (Sorry if this is against this forums' rules! I'll delete it if it is)
    Save for a few months, then get all the parts together and build your rig yourself.
    That could be between 700-900 us. for the games you want.

Quote Originally Posted by labman View Post
    Here. Think I got it all in there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.634251

And

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102843

Total price: 390$ plus shipping
    That's actually not a bad deal.

Here. Think I got it all in there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.634251

And

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102843

Total price: 390$ plus shipping
    That's awesome! I found another one like that except for the graphics card. Any suggestions on what card to use for this if it's a good deal? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...y=REVIEWS#tabs

---------- Post added 2011-06-05 at 01:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Toziel View Post
    Go down to your nearest busy train station and get a job distributing the free newspapers for 2-3 weeks. Easy money.
    Too bad there's no train stations for miles around :/

Buying a card would put you over 400$ ...

Also, going over a Quad core is actually BAD for gaming, they arn't made for that many and work HARDER to spread the load.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buying a card would put you over 400$ ...

Also, going over a Quad core is actually BAD for gaming, they arn't made for that many and work HARDER to spread the load.
    What?
    That's completely false. Entirely. 100% false.
    World of Warcraft doesn't even use my 4th core. I'm sure ispano would love to argue with you. He has 12 cores. Get at him.

Pretty much. WoW can use more than 3-4 threads easily, but only two of those do anything even remotely intensive. So 1 core will be mostly maxed out, a second will be under a pretty decent load, but all the other threads combined can sit on a third core and not really scratch it. Also, what he was likely thinking about is the tiny amount of overhead in Windows to schedule processes across different cores. Which is not something that's going to affect the performance of a game in any way that you'll ever really notice.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Not many games can make use of a six core processors. Quad is becoming the new dual, the highly supported and widely used one, while hex is just getting started.

It's been a while, but last I remember only half a dozen or so games supported hex.

The problem was you said more cores is worse for performance, which is false. WoW can use as many cores as it has threads, but only one or two of those threads are really intensive. And the reason most games don't "support" more than a few cores is because the main game engine is single threaded. Everything has to be done in order, and splitting it into threads could cause issues with that. Like one core not finishing fast enough so it has to wait.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    And the reason most games don't "support" more than a few cores is because the main game engine is single threaded. Everything has to be done in order, and splitting it into threads could cause issues with that. Like one core not finishing fast enough so it has to wait.
    Kinda what I meant, worded wrong I guess.

---

Back on topic, you could go that route, but why spend the extra if you doing need to?

Deleted
    No way you could build a decent computer for that, even if you already had a case with cooling, HDD and DVD drive.

You *could* get a new GPU and maybe RAM (motherboard, CPU, OS and PSU would need to be able to support it) but even that's much easier said than done with a laptop.

And then, even if you could get some cheap components, you'll probably need to pay for fitting them if you can't do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Thealmightyf View Post
    No way you could build a decent computer for that, even if you already had a case with cooling, HDD and DVD drive.

You *could* get a new GPU and maybe RAM (motherboard, CPU, OS and PSU would need to be able to support it) but even that's much easier said than done with a laptop.

And then, even if you could get some cheap components, you'll probably need to pay for fitting them if you can't do it yourself.
    Read the above posts, two perfectly fine machines under 400.

Haha, if this was in Sweden, there'd be no way you could get even a half-as-good computer for US$964 as you guys can get for US$400.
    A US$1000 costs about US$2000 as well.

The combo-deal suggested by labman is probably decent. It has its flaws, obviously. Since the Phenom II x4 isn't a 900-series, but an 800-series, it doesn't have an L3-cache, and I'd guess that going dual-core with a better CPU would be superior - but that might not be able to be fitted in the build, or getting another combo. The GPU is obviously not a high-performer, but it is a gaming-card, although low-range and aged.
    &nbsp;