Deleted
    So, I just got this game last night, after never really playing a DoTA-Strategy game(aside from DoTA for about 10 hours like 4 years ago) So I know the basics and such of how to move/attack/avoid towers and last hitting creeps. Did some practising last night vs bots to get back into the hang of it and try to find a champ I like. Settled for Garen and bought him/a sweet skin and here's the outcome.
    p.s. do people constantly fake-dc/afk/just be generally shit and stand around doing nothing all the time, or am I just ridiculously unlucky to have it happen in every game i've played?

Here's my first three games.
    http://zhost.tk/u/o3/1.png
    Enemy Sivir "dc'd"
    Our Ashe afk'd then "dc'd"

http://zhost.tk/u/lz/2.png
    Our Gragas dc'd at the start for 5 minutes, then came back and stood in spawn for a further 3 minutes deciding whether or not to buy doran's shield(he did!) then just followed me down my lane and basically ran into the turrets and dieing.
    I believe the nasus/cho'gath on their team were friends aswell, they were both speaking spanish, and rather coordinated well.

http://zhost.tk/u/0w/3.png
    Our karthus "dc'd" literally like two minutes into the game...
    if that wasn't bad enough i got one of the opponents from game 2 on my team, except it appears he's suddenly "forgotten" how to play now =/
    1v3 ftw, still managed to stomp them pretty hard :3

So... will it get better?
    nb: when i say "dc'd", I mean the game says that they have 'quit' then you see them reconnect about a minute later, then 'dc' again when they realise they cant join a different game.
    Last edited by mmoce7a0623b54; 2011-08-30 at 02:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adt View Post
    snip
    First things first - I play on Europe Nordic/East, just so that you take my experience with a grain of salt in case this differs from region to region (though I doubt it).

It seriously depends on luck in my experience. I played 4 games today, none of them had dcers, all of them I won.

Yesterday I played 5 games, all of them I lost and 2 of them had dcers/afkers.

Sometimes a person ragequits, sometimes a person dcs at the very start and you fight a losing battle just waiting for the 20th minute to surrender.

You will always have those kind of people in LoL, as well as trolls, flamers, jerks, those that refuse to speak English (maybe not so much or not at all in the US), those that gloat when they win or those that rage at you when they lose...

But the game is still worthwhile, don't let all that put you off.

Only advice from me - if possible, find a friend to play with. I would have probably quit some time ago if I didn't regularly duo-queue with an IRL friend and didn't make 2 friends in the game itself.

EDIT - Are you doing solo queue for 3v3? I seriously wouldn't advise that over solo queue 5v5, less chance of 1 idiot ruining the game for you (same situation as in 10 v 25 man raids in WoW, but much worse).

But that is ofc my personal opinion.

Also, some Garen advice based on your items, if I may (I'm currently playing him a lot):

Doran's blade sucks for him imo, he has a slow attack speed and is melee which means he doesn't really benefit too much from the 3% lifesteal. If you want to regen hp - just rely on Garen's passive. It's one of the best things about him as a laner.

Last Whisper (the arpen bow) isn't worth it unless your opponents are stacking armor past 100, because it gives a percentage of arpen.

Heart of gold is not worthwhile in 3v3 like most gold per 5 sec items, simply because the games are too short for you to accumulate any gold of them. Even if you're building Randuin's Omen which includes Heart of Gold - I wouldn't recommend Randuin's in 3v3. Expensive, components are pure tank and give only health.

What I like to start with when I play Garen are 3 options:

1. Boots and 2-3 health potions:

-if I'm not expecting to gank low level or have a partner who has a really strong early game

- if I want to harass or initiate ganks at low levels once I get Q (Decisive Strike). Hiding in bushes + Q+ boot speed + E (Judgment) after Q lands = excellent harass tactic against many champions.

2. Doran's shield:
    - if I know I'm going to be laning against someone that will harass me more than I can possibly harass him.

3. Longsword + health potion
    - when I want to initiate a gank at low levels and I know my opponents are very squishy.

Whatever the case may be, my first item almost always is the Brutalizer (or starting boots if I didn't get them), then I finish boots (either Swiftness or Mercury/Ninja depending on the situation), then I either buy Phage or finish Yomumu's Ghostblade, depending on what I feel I need more - survivability and a snare or damage. When Phage is done - I turn it into Frozen Mallet. After that - anything you want for damage or survival.

Here are my today's Garen games actually:

Just my 2 cents, sorry if the advice is unwanted.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-08-30 at 02:28 AM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Deleted
    I'm on Europe West myself, so I can't see it being that different like you said. Guess it's just a day-to-day thing, 3 games is a ridiculously small sample pool anyway, i'll just keep playing I guess and hope for better matches
    I have a friend who recently downloaded LoL, and he was pretty awesome at DoTA, so if he gets into it I guess we could duo-queue for 3s together, should at least give us hope if that last person quits out, as the coordination should be enough to win vs 3 pubs.

Thanks for all the advice I'll just try to justify some of the things you've pointed out, but I really appreciate the help, it's nice to hear from someone with more experience than myself. One thing to note is that i'm literally playing vs people who have just got the game currently and most likely don't even know what to do, so i'm going for the 'strong-offense' play of just ganking them as much as possibly early/mid game so our team can hopefully get the advantage.

Doran's Blade - I tend to buy this from the start purely for the extra damage it gives. I usually manage to get 1-3 kills off using this method, netting me enough cash for tier2 boots and whatevers next for Phage(minds gone blank). I don't exactly need the speed boost at this point anyway as the spin is pretty much enough to kill someone off the bat up until about level 6, throw in a strike and its gg.
    I suppose a longsword and health pot could be better off in this situation like you said,

Last Whisper - I don't usually get this at all, it was a last minute purchase purely for more killing power. Their team had both inhibitors down and were working on our bases tower, so I grabbed infinity blade and this and just got a sneaky triple kill before the creeps ended the game.

Heart of Gold - I've noticed that the 3v3 games are shorter, probably won't be buying this again :3

Edit: I have a question also, is it really worth taking Boots of Swiftness over Boots of Mobility?
    Sure it's one extra enhanced movement level in combat, however one thing i've noticed when ganking is that it's usually faster for me to just teleport to base and sprint back, doing this using mobility seems faster(due to enhanced movement 5 out of combat) than waiting for regen and getting that tiny bit more exp and risk getting ganked from a returning champion.

Not to mention i'm using Ghost/Exhaust as my summoner skills, and spin removing all slows. so I really don't have a problem catching up to people in combat until endgame when people are stacked with nearly 3k hp and it takes more than one rotation of my attacks to take them out.

Edit2: just for reference, my build guide usually goes:
    Doran's Sword -> Boots -> Phage -> Frozen Mallet -> Infinity Edge.
    Last edited by mmoce7a0623b54; 2011-08-30 at 02:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok point by point:

1. Ganking is what 3v3 is all about. Short and simple. Who ganks more and most successfully wins 3v3. It gets more complicated as people get smarter tactics-wise but it's still about ganking. So you're doing it right.

2. I really dislike Doran's Blade. I consider it an item for carries that eiter autoattack very fast like Yi or are ranged and can avoid harassment if they're smart (Cait, Ashe, Tristana etc). So basically those that can mass farm creeps.

Garen is none of the above. You have a wasted stat budget right there on that lifesteal.

It doesn't build into anything, so there's another reason (that's why I really like boots or longsword - you continue to build stuff from them, no gold is wasted).

3. Last whisper is good when you either have the enemy stacking crazy armor (100+) or when you desperately need more arpen and you have already bought Ghostblade.

4. Yep, most pure tank items aren't very good in 3v3 imo. Stuff like Phage and Frozen Mallet is great though, because of it's multiple functions (snare, hp, ad).

5. I'm personally not sure about that since I haven't tested them much on any champs except Eve. I think that these boots are better in 5v5 where you have to cover large distances. You should try and test both and decide.

Rule of thumb for me as Garen is : lots of CC/magic damage on enemy team - Mercury Treads, dangerous physical carries like Trynd (good god he is a nightmare in 3v3) - Ninja Tabi, none of the above or you feel confident in ganking - Swiftness.

6. On your summoner spells. I say this a lot and 2 of my friends disagree, but - Flash is king.

On almost any char in almost any situation. It is superior to Ghost in many ways, and in 3v3 it is even better imo because of all the walls and winding paths that make running even under Ghost pretty long, and escaping very hard because you have to make turns a lot, in the first couple of seconds of Ghost people can still stun and snare you.

If you Flash away in time - they can't reach you in most cases.

You just have to get used to using Flash (try vs bots first) until you get the feel of it, when you do - you will aim and cast it w/o thinking and it will save your life and give you kills so many times you will lose count and so much better than Ghost.

That is my personal opinion, try the spell and decide for yourself.

My most common Garen build lately is Boots +2/3 pots > Brutallizer > Boot upgrade > Phage > Yomumu's Ghostblade/Frozen Mallet > Guardian Angel. Those are 5v5 games however.

Guardian Angel might make less sense in some (or many) 3v3 games.

In 3v3, if you are doing a level one 3v3 gank (probably not at your summoner level and not with randoms, but people do that a lot at higher summoner levels) - Doran's Blade or Longsword might be better.

If you don't want to gank at level 1, I would start with one of the three I mentioned - Doran's Shield against great harassers, Boots and 2 pots for harassing yourself, Longsword - for getting early Brutallizer.

I can't stress how great Brutallizer is for Garen as a first item in 90% of cases. CDR, arpen, ad and all for only 1337 (lol) gold.

Yomumu's Ghostblade to which it upgrades later (I mostly do that after Phage) is good even without it's active - all the stats Brutallizer has but even more and also crit chance (which affects Judgment).

The active is good both for 1v1 situations and to push towers.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-08-30 at 03:19 AM.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Deleted
    Thanks :> i'll take all that into consideration next game <3
    I'm only sorc level 7 so I havn't unlocked flash yet :P only reason i'm using ghost currently, although ill have to try it out when I get it, getting kinda used to ghost now.

offtopic: I love the poem in your sig :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adt View Post
    Thanks :> i'll take all that into consideration next game <3
    I'm only sorc level 7 so I havn't unlocked flash yet :P only reason i'm using ghost currently, although ill have to try it out when I get it, getting kinda used to ghost now.

offtopic: I love the poem in your sig :3
    Lol, I actually forgot for a moment there that spells unlock gradually... it's been a long time since I didn't have all of em.

Ghost is fine for some champs in 5v5 and it's also fine for many casters/ranged that use the flash+ghost combination (both in 3v3 and 5v5). But for 3v3 - Flash is better imo.

OT:

Heh, I just changed my sig to insert that poem. Had a Russian one in there before to add some ethnic diversity to mmo-c. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to get some input. I started playing a few months back and i haven't really got into the competitive side, im still learning the game really as i play it on and off but im playing more and more now. Im using Ashe and im doing fairly well, but i would like some input on other champs to use for someone who is still learning what to do so im not useless on a team. Also i played Mordekaiser when he was free and did alright with him, i also have Malphite (sp) im almost certain i spelled that really wrong, and i o ok with him as well. any input is welcomed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I wanted to get some input. I started playing a few months back and i haven't really got into the competitive side, im still learning the game really as i play it on and off but im playing more and more now. Im using Ashe and im doing fairly well, but i would like some input on other champs to use for someone who is still learning what to do so im not useless on a team. Also i played Mordekaiser when he was free and did alright with him, i also have Malphite (sp) im almost certain i spelled that really wrong, and i o ok with him as well. any input is welcomed.
    Mord is a great char, ver very very strong. Reason why he #1 en brazil.

For starting out, just experiment with chars. Another char similar to Ashe is Caitlyn, both are ranged Attack Damage carries.

You could try a support, I think my 3rd char was Sona. A support char in a lane is always welcome. Let me play very passive and observe the heroes around me and learn more about the game. If you want to try a tank/initiator, Amumu is the best IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    What would you like to know specifically? There are more than 70 champs currently and describing every one of them in detail would take a small book.

I can advise some champs but only if you specify what role you want to fulfill or what style you like (carry/ranged/mage/tank/melee etc, basically like the filters in the game champ screen).

Also the map matters a lot - 3v3 has a lot less viable champions for it than 5v5.

From the champs you mentioned:

1. Mordekaiser is an incredible powerhouse. To the point where I personally consider him OP. I played him a lot summoner levels 10-25 and he is just incredibly good, and if you get some kills - practically unstoppable. Take ignite as your offensive spell and use it with our ult when you want to dps somebody down. Most of the time they don't get away, and if they do - they die soon after.

2. Ashe is one of the strongest ranged carries. She is chosen for championship games all the time. Less damage than champs like Corky or Caitlyn but a lot more utility in her slow/stun/scout.

3. Malphite is a pretty decent tank or tank/hybrid. Have never played him myself and you don't see many Malphites lately tbh. Overall - a decent char, but worse than Alistair or Amumu by a mile though as a tank.

So, ask and I'll try to answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    What would you like to know specifically? There are more than 70 champs currently and describing every one of them in detail would take a small book.

I can advise some champs but only if you specify what role you want to fulfill or what style you like (carry/ranged/mage/tank/melee etc, basically like the filters in the game champ screen).

Also the map matters a lot - 3v3 has a lot less viable champions for it than 5v5.

From the champs you mentioned:

1. Mordekaiser is an incredible powerhouse. To the point where I personally consider him OP. I played him a lot summoner levels 10-25 and he is just incredibly good, and if you get some kills - practically unstoppable. Take ignite as your offensive spell and use it with our ult when you want to dps somebody down. Most of the time they don't get away, and if they do - they die soon after.

2. Ashe is one of the strongest ranged carries. She is chosen for championship games all the time. Less damage than champs like Corky or Caitlyn but a lot more utility in her slow/stun/scout.

3. Malphite is a pretty decent tank or tank/hybrid. Have never played him myself and you don't see many Malphites lately tbh. Overall - a decent char, but worse than Alistair or Amumu by a mile though as a tank.

So, ask and I'll try to answer.
    Well i was looking for input on maybe idk, just a few good champs that are outside of what i have played. But the info you gave here is great for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i was looking for input on maybe idk, just a few good champs that are outside of what i have played. But the info you gave here is great for me.
    Hmm... there's really no point in trying to advertise specific champs for you right now if you're at the starting levels of this game.

Do what I did and just read the character descriptions, I made my choices based on:

1. The role of the character.
    2. His difficulty bar (stupid to start playing the game from a champ that has a full or almost full bar imo).
    3. And if I generally liked the character's look and concept =)

You'll learn more as you go along, just play what you like right now based on those 3 factors. =)

Deleted
    I actually got ganked before minions spawned in this one, sat myself in a bush and went for a quick piss, i guess that's what i get for underestimating my opposition, so i missed the first 30 seconds or so of minion farming this match, actually thought I was going to end up losing it due to that. I was slightly wrong *giggle*

also, /cheer for the first proper game with full teams on both sides who were playing.
    http://zhost.tk/u/j4/4.png

at the risk of getting infracted for advertising, I found this site infinitely helpful yesterdya(my first day) for just learning basic setups to use(runes/talents/build order)
    http://www.mobafire.com/

Deleted
    I've never played a Support in my life. Which is the best one? I've set my eyes on Janna because I love her Ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    I've never played a Support in my life. Which is the best one? I've set my eyes on Janna because I love her Ultimate.
    No support is really bad right now. The majority say Karma isn't all that good, but I played her and she seemed fine to me.

I would pick your favorite, Janna works wonders for supporting an AD carry, and practically resetting a team fight with her ult.

Deleted
    They all have their good and bad sides tbh. Though the best supports atm are probably Janna and Sona with Taric closely behind (though I haven't played Taric after his nerf).

Janna is really powerful with her shield, not only does it shield your AD carry but it gives them quite a lot of damage too. She is nearly ungankable due to her shield, MASSIVE speed, flying through minions, possible slow and a knockup. Her tornado can basically disable the entire enemy team if you're a bit lucky for a second and a half or so. You're ultimate can be used defensively or offensively and can reset the whole teamfight in your favor.

Sona on the other hand is just an aura MONSTER. Even without damage while switching aura's she gives your party defenses, extra damage and speed bonus nearly constant. Early game she also has quite a good harass with her Power Chords. Depending on your laning partner it's quite hard to win a lane against you. The biggest trick is to learn how to use Power Chord, oh and did I mention with her ulti you can basically stun the entire opposite team? Combine this with quite typical support items and you'll buff your team immensely by just being there.

Edit: P.S. I saw that Elementz put Jarvan down to TIER 3. Yes .... TIER 3. I mean, why on earth so low? He is still nearly unkillable in solo lane, has a rather high damage output and can disable, slow, trap and entire team as if there is no end to it.
    Plus he just got an awesome skin, I mean, wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Edit: P.S. I saw that Elementz put Jarvan down to TIER 3. Yes .... TIER 3. I mean, why on earth so low? He is still nearly unkillable in solo lane, has a rather high damage output and can disable, slow, trap and entire team as if there is no end to it.
    Plus he just got an awesome skin, I mean, wtf?!
    Because most of those tier lists people swear by as if it were the truth handed down from some divine power are full of crap? I've seen his tier setup for champs and over half of it made no sense to me, I remember a while ago (before Nidalee became FotM) he had Nid down at tier 3 despite the fact that she was, and still is after the patch, an insanely good solo laner and support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sona is an absolute beast laning phase. Whoever I lane with is guaranteed a kill simply because her harass is amazing. Q+Power Chord is so strong (Especially since I have Arp Runes on the page I use with her :3). Her stun will always be useful and her auras are helpful also. Can't go wrong.

I haven't seen Janna much, her tornado is great though, her ult can be such a lifesaver and has so much utility.

Karma, I dunno. Don't see her much.

Alistar is good support, good heal, and knockup+knockback is so stupidly good.

Taric, ranged stun, good heal. Don't see him that much though.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Because most of those tier lists people swear by as if it were the truth handed down from some divine power are full of crap? I've seen his tier setup for champs and over half of it made no sense to me, I remember a while ago (before Nidalee became FotM) he had Nid down at tier 3 despite the fact that she was, and still is after the patch, an insanely good solo laner and support.
    Not to mention (assuming Riot gets feedback from players) tier lists just make it harder to actually balance the game. Seeing top, top-high, high, mid-high, mid, mid-low, low, low-bottom, bottom tier, who do you buff? Who do you nerf? What do you buff? What do you nerf? Just adds too much confusion.

Deleted
    Thanks for the answers.

I just tried Janna because she is free and I simply lover her. I'll get her ASAP. Don't want to queue in ranked games and see guys that don't want to play support.