10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Passive supporting is a recipe for disaster. It's the best way to lose lane. It's a horrible mind set to go with the idea 'at best we're not going to lose lane'.
    The best way to lose lane is to feed with a high-risk-high-reward strategy that doesn't pay off.

The effect of a farmlane botlane is that it enhances the swing of a fed lane elsewhere.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    The best way to lose lane is to feed with a high-risk-high-reward strategy that doesn't pay off.

The effect of a farmlane botlane is that it enhances the swing of a fed lane elsewhere.
    What if there isn't a fed lane somewhere else? Don't rely on other lanes to win when you have the chance to win your own lane by taking a chance. Obviously don't be reckless but if both ADCs are pretty equal, use your skill to make it so your lane kills them. That creates pressure that can help other lanes that aren't doing as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    judging 25man raiding by LFR standards saying it requires no coordination, is like saying 5mans require cheese sandwiches because i like turtles.

Deleted
    So tips on how to recover from a bad tilt? I'm on an 8 lose streak in ranked now, I've tried normals and won them all in between other games, took a break for a few days and I'm still having no luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordaen View Post
    I dislike playing Sona with coin.
    Me too. She's such an obvious dagger candidate, but her kit is not quite cohesive enough with that item choice.
    If you're careful with the creep wave you rarely
    Not good enough. Consistency is what you need out of a support more than anything, such that your carry can rely on you.

While I was being taught how to play Sona, they always told me to poke.
    I was told to just deny the enemies farm by Q-ing/passive AAing if they got too close. Protection, not aggression. The extension of your Q into enemy territory is what Sona was good at (and that's also been nerfed).

This just makes me feel that Riot didn't quite know what direction they wanted to push their most passive support into. Checking the forums:

"Hard cc ult? Nami has that with longer range. Healing for teammates? Nami has that, with the added bonus of damage or healing herself. Magic buff to auto attacks? Nami has that, and it slows. Speeding up teammates? Hey! That's Nami's Passive! Not to mention damage and cc with her Q."

Sona was my first support in ranked and I'm disappointed with the new direction to say the least.

Why would you play passive with a good ADC?
    Because with a good ADC there is less of a burden on you to be aggressive as they are good enough to take fights with less interaction with their support (by definition).

A strong ADC should have an aggressive support, and a weak ADC should have a passive support in my opinion.
    I'd have it the other way around. Your former is balls-to-the-wall all-or-nothing gameplay resulting in a very swingy botlane, and your latter is just a lost lane in which neither carry or support can do anything. This isn't conductive to the consistency required that I mentioned above.

- - - Updated - - -

What if there isn't a fed lane somewhere else?
    Then it's skill vs skill during teamfights.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    So tips on how to recover from a bad tilt? I'm on an 8 lose streak in ranked now, I've tried normals and won them all in between other games, took a break for a few days and I'm still having no luck.
    Treat Ranked as if it has nothing riding on it, it's just a Normal game with proper punishments for poor behaviour.

I've also been on large loss streaks last season but I've never really cared about it. It's a game, losing happens half the time, etc. So long as you get back to 50% (the game is gamed to do so) the streaks won't matter in the end.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

Deleted
    You need to revise your outlook on supporting, and understand the difference between being aggressive/zoning and going balls-to-the-wall-high-risk :P

Sona was never a passive support, and if you played her that long as such, you missed out on so much

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post
    You need to revise your outlook on supporting, and understand the difference between being aggressive/zoning and going balls-to-the-wall-high-risk :P
    Latter engages, former doesn't need to.

Sona was never a passive support, and if you played her that long as such, you missed out on so much
    Sona exactly defined passive support. I couldn't think of anyone more passive. Maybe Soraka with a very mana intensive carry.

EDIT: I don't think I need to revise much with regards to my supporting, check my KDA
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

Deleted
    I don't know why I even bothered, lol.

~~~

So, I've finally scrounged up the IP for another champ. How badly has Ziggz been nerfed? I wanted to pick him up a while ago for his ability to delay games forever (plus he's kinda fun). In fact, what mid laners are currently fotm? (been playing a bit casually for the past few weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Stop focusing on winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why I even bothered, lol.
    I don't know what you mean, lol. Name a champion with four actives, of which three have passives attached (and now four). Incredibly conductive to passive gameplay, a large percentage of her power in her passives as compared to other supports. This assists in Coin usage over Dagger, especially as her mana costs are quite limiting.

So, I've finally scrounged up the IP for another champ. How badly has Ziggz been nerfed? I wanted to pick him up a while ago for his ability to delay games forever (plus he's kinda fun). In fact, what mid laners are currently fotm? (been playing a bit casually for the past few weeks).
    Still seems to be near top tier, Kass/Gragas/Fizz midlane meta if they're not banned.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    Stop focusing on winning.
    But when you lose so much its all you want to do "/. Had a bad tilt, yet to play ranked again in like 2 weeks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkeeee View Post
    But when you lose so much its all you want to do. Had a bad tilt, yet to play ranked again in like 2 weeks
    It's all about disconnecting the result from how you feel. If losing makes you angry and winning makes you happy, play some bot games.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

But when you lose so much its all you want to do "/. Had a bad tilt, yet to play ranked again in like 2 weeks
    Honestly, when I go on a bad losing Streak I just queue for Normal Draft, ban everything that counters my favorite champ (Rengar) and just focus on making all the lanes miserable by going full AD lel one shot build, makes me feel better knowing that I made 5 other people's game miserable. Don't even care if I win. It's just satisfying popping out of stealth and instantly melting people before they can react.

Or just play Nunu and make the other Jungler cry. I haven't won a single game on him since forever but it's still hilarious just rushing a Sightstone, following the enemy Jungler everywhere they go and walking up, consuming their big creep and spam laugh as they are slowed and you casually walk away.

also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI04nZiDgUs

tl;dr play stuff you like and have fun when you're getting angry about losing. don't focus on winning, focus on fucking other people up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hasslehoof View Post
    Honestly, when I go on a bad losing Streak I just queue for Normal Draft, ban everything that counters my favorite champ (Rengar) and just focus on making all the lanes miserable by going full AD lel one shot build, makes me feel better knowing that I made 5 other people's game miserable. Don't even care if I win. It's just satisfying popping out of stealth and instantly melting people before they can react.

Or just play Nunu and make the other Jungler cry. I haven't won a single game on him since forever but it's still hilarious just rushing a Sightstone, following the enemy Jungler everywhere they go and walking up, consuming their big creep and spam laugh as they are slowed and you casually walk away.

also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI04nZiDgUs

tl;dr play stuff you like and have fun when you're getting angry about losing. don't focus on winning, focus on fucking other people up.
    I main support... hard to make peoples lives hell

10+ Year Old Account
    How the fuck this Jax didn't noticed a freaking slow debuff on him. Jeesh this annoys me so much
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I main support... hard to make peoples lives hell
    Zilean support is fun, albeit nerfed with the patch.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

Yeah and if you realy good as a support, and get your ADC real good and fat, who gets the credits? Yeah the ADC. Been there done that so many times, playing totaly madlife Thresh hooks all game, then my team goes all "Wow, WP *Random ADC champion*!", and I'm like - "but.. but... didnt you see the hooks and shit? :S", and they go all "Wut, who are you?".

Then I queue normal game Thresh, and go full ADC and just wrecks something, just to show people that Thresh is awesome! And then they are rooting for our midlaner or something, while blaming me for jungle feeding or something crazy like that. So yeah, hard to keep being positive as support
    BUT when you get that "Wow, WP support!" it makes you feel rather good!

Also after being on a terrible lose streak, a bot game where you go like 30/0 is rather moral boosting, and gets you out of that bad mindset you get from losing ranked games, even though it is just against bots, its still realy fun to smash them hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    Yeah and if you realy good as a support, and get your ADC real good and fat, who gets the credits?
    I remember taking all the kills as Taric and making solo double kills in enemy jungle, so i took all credits for this game and have got 3 honorable opponents for manliness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    BUT when you get that "Wow, WP support!" it makes you feel rather good!
    Well, when it does happen, it's easily worth the 10 games of ungrateful brats you had to go through to get it :P

So many games carried as Janna in S2 and S3 with my amazing disengage and peeling skills... and about 3 people ever noticed all the Shyvanna/Leona engages I stopped, all the Fiddle/Kennen ults I completely denied, all the teams I split up for the easiest aces ever :P

One thing people seemed to notice a lot more was cockblocking Thresh/Blitz hooks with Zyra plants, I guess those are flashier :P

Dunno why, but for some reason people don't respect the thresh as much as they do other supports. You make a sick play on him and peopel are like 'eh, that's what you're here for', but land a perfect binding on morgana, or a clutch bubble+heal on nami, or that perfect ult into chain-cc on leona, and people get really amazed. At least they do when I pull them off, the naturally rare times that it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Sona exactly defined passive support. I couldn't think of anyone more passive. Maybe Soraka with a very mana intensive carry.

EDIT: I don't think I need to revise much with regards to my supporting, check my KDA
    Sona is extremely weak if you play her passively. Should pick alistar then, at least he has amazing peel.

Her strength in lane is her ability to sustain constant poke. If you play her passive you should lose lane hard, because then all it takes is for one binding/zenith blade/hook/etc. to land to give up at least one kill. Only way she can stay in lane is by harrassing her opponents down to the point where they can't just safely go allin every single time an ability lands, since her allin fight potential is awful and her peel sucks (consisting only of her ult and an annoying to use slow that exposes her when she uses it).

High KDA with low winrate probably means you're doing a bad job as a support; your job is to enable for others in your team, by dying if necessary, not play it safe. Dying to kill one of their carries while making sure yours survives is a huge win. The other way around... not so much. At least that's my philosophy.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Sona is extremely weak if you play her passively. Should pick alistar then, at least he has amazing peel.
    That's not my experience with her, at least. Alistar's got an even weaker heal and generally has to commit to area denial, whereas Sona doesn't.

If you play her passive you should lose lane hard, because then all it takes is for one binding/zenith blade/hook/etc. to land to give up at least one kill. Only way she can stay in lane is by harrassing her opponents down to the point where they can't just safely go allin every single time an ability lands, since her allin fight potential is awful and her peel sucks (consisting only of her ult and an annoying to use slow that exposes her when she uses it).
    Hence why you deny the opponent the opportunity to all-in by playing defensively and passively whilst waiting for ganks.

The strength of playing a passive champ is that you assist the team just by being around, with the cost that this passivity is weaker than the burst active champs have during teamfights.

High KDA with low winrate probably means you're doing a bad job as a support; your job is to enable for others in your team, by dying if necessary, not play it safe. Dying to kill one of their carries while making sure yours survives is a huge win. The other way around... not so much. At least that's my philosophy.
    With supports as viable as carries with regards to gold generation and general usefulness I think that they're much closer together in terms of worth than you seem to make out. One-for-one-ing in the botlane should be exactly that: equivalent exchange. Death grants the other champions that participated in the kill gold, so you do not want to be dying needlessly: knowing when to disengage has kept my KDA sky-high. There's no point fully joining a 2v4 or 2v5 in close games, best I'd do is grant them Captain movement out of the situation.

EDIT: Define "low winrate". I'm currently 22 from 42 when supporting.
    Last edited by Firebert; 2014-08-02 at 05:55 PM.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)