1. #14561
    Immortal Bombkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA - Boston, MA
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    I'm surprised that over 90% of players are male. I knew it would be a majority, but I always thought that LoL was more appealing to girls than a lot of other games.
    I find competitive games aren't so popular with the ladies. I've only seen two girls go to a fighting game tournament. They were awesome though! Especially this like 13 year old who steamrolled over all the guys until the finals when the she had to fight the state pros/champs.

  2. #14562
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    (´・ω・`)
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    I find competitive games aren't so popular with the ladies. I've only seen two girls go to a fighting game tournament. They were awesome though! Especially this like 13 year old who steamrolled over all the guys until the finals when the she had to fight the state pros/champs.
    Aren't all games competitive?

  3. #14563
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    I find competitive games aren't so popular with the ladies. I've only seen two girls go to a fighting game tournament. They were awesome though! Especially this like 13 year old who steamrolled over all the guys until the finals when the she had to fight the state pros/champs.
    And then there was the recent firestorm over sexism in the fighting game community, showing that maybe just maybe there's a reason women don't participate in such things beyond some postulated (and very likely bullshit) set of neurological differences/preferences.

    The whole area is a huge minefield that requires exactly the careful kind of thinking that a 16-30 year old guy isn't willing to do when he sits down to play computer games (as a example, the casual use of the word raped in chat, over and over again, way to make it clear to any women starting to play that they are not welcome)

  4. #14564
    The Patient The Oblivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselwolf View Post
    And then there was the recent firestorm over sexism in the fighting game community, showing that maybe just maybe there's a reason women don't participate in such things beyond some postulated (and very likely bullshit) set of neurological differences/preferences.

    The whole area is a huge minefield that requires exactly the careful kind of thinking that a 16-30 year old guy isn't willing to do when he sits down to play computer games (as a example, the casual use of the word raped in chat, over and over again, way to make it clear to any women starting to play that they are not welcome)

    this made me lol anyone who gets offended by the word rape should probably stay off the internet and out of the world in general. male or female.

  5. #14565
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    this made me lol anyone who gets offended by the word rape should probably stay off the internet and out of the world in general. male or female.
    Thanks for proving my point. May you grow up to regret your current position on this matter.

  6. #14566
    The Patient The Oblivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselwolf View Post
    Thanks for proving my point. May you grow up to regret your current position on this matter.

    proved your point that people are whiny little girls and will get offended over anything?

    i swear i could step on a leaf and someone would cry about it. people need to grow up and stop acting like little brats. if everything as small as the word rape offends you, im sorry but you should stay hidden in your house. forever. so i dont have to deal with reading your asshatery and seeing buckets of tears because i killed someone in lol and said get raped.

  7. #14567
    Warchief sam86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    2,060
    There is a problem in internet world in general, not just gaming world
    Anonymous people who can do whatever they want and not be punished mostly go the assholes way not the kind way
    The real problem is - as TB said - the other media (TV, newspapers, but TV mainly), they are fighting game media growth at any cost, after all it threat their living income and source, by influencing as much as possible any wrong idea, from racism to childish to "GTA make young people want to steal towns and destroy countries" (that accusation did happen sadly), the problem best solution is it will be solved in time
    I love DOTA style games and it is annoying that a girl can't play the game because ... she is girl? Coming from WoW I know how people usually look at girls they don't play as good as boys, heck even I early days I used to have same view (until I joined a hardcore raiding guild where Guild leader/ Main Tank/ Mage leader/ etc were all girls and found out they can play), because social media force the idea that girls are all about makeup and news celebrities and sports/violent games are something mainly boys only, and of course whoever play games is nerd who live in basement and have no life
    We passed nerd era and people accept gamers in general more, but still not female gamers yet

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 09:36 AM ----------

    I can't play ranged AD role, I don't know if I'm worse than ever in that role or enemy just get better, but I suck horribly at that role, it seems I need to be carried heavily to play AD carry (pun intended)
    I really lost hope in that role, I give my team a big disadvantage if I got stuck in that role, any guide how to improve my already very low skill as ranged AD? With any ranged champ (got them all except MF and Jayce)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall

  8. #14568
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    proved your point that people are whiny little girls and will get offended over anything?

    i swear i could step on a leaf and someone would cry about it. people need to grow up and stop acting like little brats. if everything as small as the word rape offends you, im sorry but you should stay hidden in your house. forever. so i dont have to deal with reading your asshatery and seeing buckets of tears because i killed someone in lol and said get raped.
    I suspect you're a lost cause, but let me boil it down for the others reading along.

    The internet is not some magical land where your behaviour is consequence free. If you make people unwelcome in your community, whether by racism, sexism or any other form of unpleasant behaviour, this has consequences. Continually bringing up rape is one of those things that definitely contributes to the 'no girls welcome' miasma that hangs over the lol community. Now you may be ok with that, but I'm not, and I'll continue to advocate changing it. Gaming is a great hobby and I'd like more people to be able to enjoy it without dreading interacting with the community.

    The 'if you don't like it leave' canard is just bullying, you wouldn't accept it for racist behaviour (I hope) why should people accept it for sexism? It's the people who are sexists who have the problem and should change.

  9. #14569
    The Patient The Oblivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselwolf View Post
    I suspect you're a lost cause, but let me boil it down for the others reading along.

    The internet is not some magical land where your behaviour is consequence free. If you make people unwelcome in your community, whether by racism, sexism or any other form of unpleasant behaviour, this has consequences. Continually bringing up rape is one of those things that definitely contributes to the 'no girls welcome' miasma that hangs over the lol community. Now you may be ok with that, but I'm not, and I'll continue to advocate changing it. Gaming is a great hobby and I'd like more people to be able to enjoy it without dreading interacting with the community.

    The 'if you don't like it leave' canard is just bullying, you wouldn't accept it for racist behaviour (I hope) why should people accept it for sexism? It's the people who are sexists who have the problem and should change.
    only girls get raped amrite?

    if there were consequences for offending every little baby who is offended by something, we would all be screwed. anyone can pretend to be offended by whatever they want. do a lot of people get offended by the "n" word? id say yes. do 99% of them feel as offended when they are alone or not in the spotlight of forums, cameras, or other people? probably not.

    it goes both ways. you can say people are offensive because of anonymity , but i can just as easily say people are offended because of publicity. this may not be the case all of the time, but you are fooling yourself if you dont believe a large margin of people offended by these things, are only distraught to gain attention, for a pity party, or for some other personal gain.

    we determine what is offensive as a society. The only way to not offend anyone ever, is for people to let go of the past (n word, rape, fag, bitch) and start realizing no one says these to offend them. as barbaric as it may seem they have evolved to hold new meaning from previous derogatory ones. when i yell get raped to my friend, 99% of people know exactly what i mean. they know im not saying hey Justin, i want you to walk outside, find a stranger, and let him sexually demean and invade you. people know i mean you got fking served you bad kid. now just because of the 99% of people who understood what i said, 10% choose to be offended for whatever ulterior or falsely altruistic motive, should i be forced to alter what i say? i dont think so.

    i think your whole line is just a load of bs. and i dont say that to offend you, i say it to hope you realize that hypersensitivity isnt something that can allow anyone move forward or help anyone. It is just something that will reinforce actual negative behavior. if you allow me saying the word rape to offend you, when it has nothing to do with you, then you are handing over power to those who will actually use these words, these actions, in a negative manner. stop lending it power and allow it to be nothing more then a new ebonic term used in a community.

  10. #14570
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    only girls get raped amrite?

    if there were consequences for offending every little baby who is offended by something, we would all be screwed. anyone can pretend to be offended by whatever they want. do a lot of people get offended by the "n" word? id say yes. do 99% of them feel as offended when they are alone or not in the spotlight of forums, cameras, or other people? probably not.

    it goes both ways. you can say people are offensive because of anonymity , but i can just as easily say people are offended because of publicity. this may not be the case all of the time, but you are fooling yourself if you dont believe a large margin of people offended by these things, are only distraught to gain attention, for a pity party, or for some other personal gain.

    we determine what is offensive as a society. The only way to not offend anyone ever, is for people to let go of the past (n word, rape, fag, bitch) and start realizing no one says these to offend them. as barbaric as it may seem they have evolved to hold new meaning from previous derogatory ones. when i yell get raped to my friend, 99% of people know exactly what i mean. they know im not saying hey Justin, i want you to walk outside, find a stranger, and let him sexually demean and invade you. people know i mean you got fking served you bad kid. now just because of the 99% of people who understood what i said, 10% choose to be offended for whatever ulterior or falsely altruistic motive, should i be forced to alter what i say? i dont think so.

    i think your whole line is just a load of bs. and i dont say that to offend you, i say it to hope you realize that hypersensitivity isnt something that can allow anyone move forward or help anyone. It is just something that will reinforce actual negative behavior. if you allow me saying the word rape to offend you, when it has nothing to do with you, then you are handing over power to those who will actually use these words, these actions, in a negative manner. stop lending it power and allow it to be nothing more then a new ebonic term used in a community.
    Toe the party line, pretend nothing is wrong, and we'll let you play with us? No thanks.

    The world is 50% female, the lol community is 90% male, something is out of whack here, saying it's women's responsibility to change is victim blaming at it's finest, you're the one doing something wrong, you change.

  11. #14571
    The Patient The Oblivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselwolf View Post
    Toe the party line, pretend nothing is wrong, and we'll let you play with us? No thanks.

    The world is 50% female, the lol community is 90% male, something is out of whack here, saying it's women's responsibility to change is victim blaming at it's finest, you're the one doing something wrong, you change.
    wrong is subjective, i think you would be surprised at how many people truly feel the word rape is wrong.

    yes 90% of lol are men. What are the stats on other games? similar id bet, and can you correlate that to behavior? perhaps. or is it much more likely that, gaming as an industry started predominately with men. That, women often look down on guys who play games. that gamers are often seen as basement dwelling nerds by mainstream media. that women who play games are often seen as weird by OTHER WOMEN/FRIENDS/FAMILY. A guy who is a nerd seems almost common, but a women is an entirely different story. Not because of sexism, because its NEW. Gaming as a whole is still relatively new, mainstreaming it is still something in the works, as it becomes more mainstreamed women will play, grandparents will be playing, business men will be playing. If gaming becomes as mainstream as television, then the people who utilize it will become more diverse.

    I severely doubt anyone saying rape, has any impact on females playing. i would say social paradigms have a much larger impact in addition to preconceived notions on who should and shouldn't play video games. Stop blaming men, stop blaming individuals, and blame people for caring. Blame her friends for caring if she wants to play LoL or WoW instead of what society views she should b doing. Blame dick guys that think people who play games are nerds, douches, weirdo's, or basement dwellers. Blame YOUR own very social paradigms for the need to place blame on men. You are the problem.

  12. #14572
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    . Stop blaming men, stop blaming individuals, and blame people for caring. Blame her friends for caring if she wants to play LoL or WoW instead of what society views she should b doing. Blame dick guys that think people who play games are nerds, douches, weirdo's, or basement dwellers. Blame YOUR own very social paradigms for the need to place blame on men. You are the problem.
    ...Blame anyone but the people making rape jokes, asking to see pictures of tits as soon as they know someone is a woman or any of the other myriad bullshit things that happen; because that might mean I have to admit that I and wrong and should change.

    Look, there's no doubt that there are other factors to do with social conformity that affect women's participation in gaming, but you have to engage in some serious denial to think that the everyday hostility they experience has no effect. Lol is a particularly glaring example at 90% male (wow is 60% male, for comparison). Wow players and lol players live in the same culture, why the discrepancy?

  13. #14573
    Well, I was going to write a big wall of text to Counselwolf, but this is going very OT already.

    So let's just discuss some LoL.

    So, has everyone heard of this yet? http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...ability_works/

    When I read this I was amazed that TF was like this all the time. I would have never found this out by myself because my graphs, when playing, are always on low, but this discovery is amazing.

  14. #14574
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,033
    Ignoring the topic about rape on account of it being exceedingly daft to debate on a forum filled with the same age group just positioned as the main offending party. Illogical arguments abound ("only girls get raped right?" certainly qualifies as such).

    The outcome is always going to be the same, people on either side get annoyed and possibly reported for flaming.

    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    I can't play ranged AD role, I don't know if I'm worse than ever in that role or enemy just get better, but I suck horribly at that role, it seems I need to be carried heavily to play AD carry (pun intended)
    I really lost hope in that role, I give my team a big disadvantage if I got stuck in that role, any guide how to improve my already very low skill as ranged AD? With any ranged champ (got them all except MF and Jayce)
    First of, pick the following two:
    Corki & Ezreal

    Not because they are exceedingly strong (they are), but because they can get away if they fuck up. For similar reasons, Tristana is a decent candidate to pick, even if she's not the strongest AD carry. They are exceptionally safe.

    Next step: Make 100 custom games with no one in there but you. Go mid lane. Aim for 100 last hits by the 12 minutes mark. Then by the 10 minutes mark. If you can keep this up, add a custom bot (Cassiopeia is a great one) and do the same again while trying to avoid killing her.

    Reason being: you want to have the last hitting so automated you can ignore thinking about it, letting you focus on the opponents.

    Positioning and engaging is something you'll only learn in PvP matches, so then go into normals and see how that goes. Also means you won't get banned out.

  15. #14575
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Ignoring the topic about rape on account of it being exceedingly daft to debate on a forum filled with the same age group just positioned as the main offending party. Illogical arguments abound ("only girls get raped right?" certainly qualifies as such).

    The outcome is always going to be the same, people on either side get annoyed and possibly reported for flaming.
    Given that it's exactly the demographic that needs to learn that these behaviours are not socially acceptable, it's neither wasted nor misguided.

  16. #14576
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Positioning and engaging is something you'll only learn in PvP matches, so then go into normals and see how that goes. Also means you won't get banned out.
    I think Dominion is great for it. It's fast enough for you to try various enemies, tactics and teammates, without really having to feel bad when you screw things, because the mode does not allow people to snowball that much. I'm aware that many right now ignore dominion as something bad. But your abilities work pretty much the same there, and it involves a lot of teamfighting, so why not learn something from it first?

  17. #14577
    Quote Originally Posted by AFK-Champion View Post
    I think Dominion is great for it. It's fast enough for you to try various enemies, tactics and teammates, without really having to feel bad when you screw things, because the mode does not allow people to snowball that much. I'm aware that many right now ignore dominion as something bad. But your abilities work pretty much the same there, and it involves a lot of teamfighting, so why not learn something from it first?
    Dominion is great for training both yourself and also to learn how to play a certain champion, but unfortunately, there aren't many teamfights of 5 people, there's usually of 4, but I think it still doesn't compare to fights of 5, but it's still a good map to learn a lot of things, building a champion, trying builds, and pretty much anything.

  18. #14578
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Near the Red Buff
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselwolf View Post
    I suspect you're a lost cause, but let me boil it down for the others reading along.

    The internet is not some magical land where your behaviour is consequence free. If you make people unwelcome in your community, whether by racism, sexism or any other form of unpleasant behaviour, this has consequences. Continually bringing up rape is one of those things that definitely contributes to the 'no girls welcome' miasma that hangs over the lol community. Now you may be ok with that, but I'm not, and I'll continue to advocate changing it. Gaming is a great hobby and I'd like more people to be able to enjoy it without dreading interacting with the community.

    The 'if you don't like it leave' canard is just bullying, you wouldn't accept it for racist behaviour (I hope) why should people accept it for sexism? It's the people who are sexists who have the problem and should change.
    Actually, I'd say you're the sexist here, not Oblivion.

    You say women shouldn't hear men say "rape" -- Your imply the sexes aren't equal, and that is, in my opinion, the worst kind of sexists. You try to "protect" the women because you think they're some fragile creatures who cannot fend for themselves. Treat women as equals, and invite them to your trashtalk parties. Hell, I have quite a bit of female gamerfriends who more than enjoys the casual trashtalk on Skype whenever they rape me in-game. Yes, I got raped by a girl.

    The problem is not guys using words such as rape. It's people being uptight as fuck and need to chill the hell out, and stop being offended by every. single. curse word. It's absolutely pathetic (imo).

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 04:51 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Well, I was going to write a big wall of text to Counselwolf, but this is going very OT already.

    So let's just discuss some LoL.

    So, has everyone heard of this yet? http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...ability_works/

    When I read this I was amazed that TF was like this all the time. I would have never found this out by myself because my graphs, when playing, are always on low, but this discovery is amazing.
    I didn't know this, sounds amazing. I need to test this!
    Last edited by Sivalion; 2012-10-13 at 03:13 PM.

  19. #14579
    Stood in the Fire Omnoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Def. Not here.
    Posts
    385
    I feel a shaco jungle night coming up. Just... For the rage. that is all. Countering(and generally getting 1st blood) at their red... It's amazingly fun. Wahahaha, LOOK BEHIND YOU
    Casual, with a capital''C''.
    Pokemon FC: 1993-8365-9328
    In the WoD Beta... o.o

  20. #14580
    About the TF, if the timer is indeed 0,513 seconds, I think it's possible to do what they said in Reddit, with low graphics, but I'm in no mood to test it out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •