1. #1
    Scarab Lord Partysaurus Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bonnie's Bedroom
    Posts
    4,049

    More Complicated =/= more fun

    So back when Summoner's Rift got a revamp I stopped playing. I got really frustrated with some of the jungle changes and just decided to give it a break.

    I pop in from time to time to see the changes but haven't really stepped foot into even a normal game since the revamp.

    I saw that season 6 had additional changes to the jungle and I got my courage up to play a normal yesterday and see that season 7 has brought a host of changes to the game and to the map.

    I don't feel like I need to relearn everything, the basic concepts of team comp and map play are relatively the same. But I do feel a little behind the 8 ball. I still think its one of the better mobas out there, but with all this extra fluff I can't help but feel its lost a little of its greatness.

    For me what always made LoL great and set it apart from other games is how deceptively simple it is/was. 4 abilities and 2 summoner spells for a total of a wopping 6 buttons to push... ooooh aaaah. EZ PZ right? Well we all know, not so much. The skill disparity that can exist while using so few options can be huge. That's the brilliance of it.

    Think of any professional sport. Do those change every year? Would it be better with exploding fruit? Obstacles on the playing field? A snake trap? A tiger on a chain? A giant stone ball?

    Ya it'd be fun to watch, but would that be fun to play? No. It adds confusion and detracts from the spirit of the game. It also makes it far more difficult for both new players and for old players to just pick up and play.

    "I’d rather be divisive than indecisive, drop the niceties!"

  2. #2
    The game goes through changes every season because they want to keep things interesting, otherwise players will get bored. Same reason WoW has expansions and content patches.

    Fun-Stuff and League of Legends Forum Moderator

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans docterfreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finding a stranger in the alps.
    Posts
    2,607
    Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    The game goes through changes every season because they want to keep things interesting, otherwise players will get bored. Same reason WoW has expansions and content patches.
    I know I wouldn't get bored if all they did was tune the game instead of adding dumb things like elemental dragons and plants and "unique" camps.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    I know I wouldn't get bored if all they did was tune the game instead of adding dumb things like elemental dragons and plants and "unique" camps.
    Guess different minds, I love the changes each season, gives the game something new each year.

    Elemetal dragons are cool, each time you play something is different, the enemy team could be really lacking pushing power, so prioritising not letting them have the earth dragon in one game could be key to winning that game, but in other game there team comp pushes well without it so going with a risky play to try to steal dragon may not be as important.

    Top lane had no real great objective up top early game back in the old days, now it has the rift herald to give some early game objectives.

    When I first started playing the Jungle was boring, slow and wasn't open for a lot of champions, season 2 brought the Opera jungle (you get a clear you get a clear everybody gets a clear) which was really cool but kind of ruined the jungle only champions season 3 brought back junglnig for junglers but also gave a whole set of new champs tools to clear the jungle (maybe not as well as others but still)

    Each of these changes brought something new or fresh to the game, I honestly say even if they added new champs in still if they never changed the game and left things as is I wouldn't still be playing.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Think of any professional sport. Do those change every year?
    I could use a few different sports, but I'll use just one. Hockey, and the NHL.

    LoL has been a league for 7 years. The NHL has been around for 99. Despite being around for that long, every year the NHL makes changes to the rules. Sometimes they are minor (slight rule adjustments, etC), while some of them change important aspects of the game (no-touch icing, removal of the 2-line pass, trapezoid behind the net).

    Unless your environment is completely static (like chess), rules will constantly be updated to try to improve the game.

  6. #6
    Scarab Lord Partysaurus Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bonnie's Bedroom
    Posts
    4,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    I could use a few different sports, but I'll use just one. Hockey, and the NHL.

    LoL has been a league for 7 years. The NHL has been around for 99. Despite being around for that long, every year the NHL makes changes to the rules. Sometimes they are minor (slight rule adjustments, etC), while some of them change important aspects of the game (no-touch icing, removal of the 2-line pass, trapezoid behind the net).

    Unless your environment is completely static (like chess), rules will constantly be updated to try to improve the game.
    This thread didn't have a whole lot of traction to begin with. But you responded so I'll humor you.

    The changes you are talking about to Hockey are relatively minor. The game is is still recognizable after those minor changes. The layperson either watching for entertainment, or casual plays on the weekends, may not even notice said changes. In League (or WoW since some people referenced that) sometimes champions lose some of what we love about them (more so with some of the updates *both visually and mechanically*). Sometimes the class(es) in WoW become unrecognizable.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    The game goes through changes every season because they want to keep things interesting, otherwise players will get bored. Same reason WoW has expansions and content patches.
    Change for the sake of change... is really bad development. Have you ever heard the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    Last edited by Partysaurus Rex; 2017-02-08 at 01:15 AM.

    "I’d rather be divisive than indecisive, drop the niceties!"

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    This thread didn't have a whole lot of traction to begin with. But you responded so I'll humor you.

    The changes you are talking about to Hockey are relatively minor. The game is is still recognizable after those minor changes. The layperson either watching for entertainment, or casual plays on the weekends, may not even notice said changes. In League (or WoW since some people referenced that) sometimes champions lose some of what we love about them (more so with some of the updates *both visually and mechanically*). Sometimes the class(es) in WoW become unrecognizable.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on what is considered minor for change. To me for hockey, removing the red line changed the way teams play, and while it only affected a smaller number of teams who had a goalie who could play the puck (like Martin Brodeur), adding in the trapezoid had a big effect on zone entry. You could argue that most of the LoL changes were minor as well. The jungle plants aren't a big addition. Yes, the elemental dragons are different, but at the same time it's still a dragon, and gives a reward. They just tweaked the reward (like the NHL giving a team a point for losing in overtime/shootout).

    For both LoL and NHL though, I believe the reasons for change are exactly the same. It's to make the game more engaging for people watching the game. I don't compare LoL to WoW because their objectives are different. WoW is trying to get subscriptions. LoL is trying to make money through both players, and advertisers. The changes made through the patches while they may make the game more complicated to play (and lose some of the simplicity factor you talked about), it has added more layers of strategy to watch. And if you're trying to land a $300 million streaming contract, you want people watching.

    To go back to the NHL and removing the red-line. No one who plays hockey for fun will see that as a big impact because when you're playing for fun, people don't play the trap. It's a much looser style of play. The change was made for the professionals, not the amateurs. Much like changes in LoL.

    As a final point, one part of the comparison that I don't think was quite clear was the difference in age between the leagues. The rule changes I listed for the NHL happened in the last 20 years (which is almost three times as long as LoL has been around).

    You can check out a more comprehensive list here.

    An easy major change from that page would be "1917-18 - Goalies permitted to fall to the ice to make saves. Previously a goaltender was penalized for dropping to the ice."

    Many of the other changes would have a casual player confused trying to figure out what is different.

  8. #8
    The whole "4 abilities and 2 summoners" thing hasn't really been that true for quite a while. With the amount of Active use abilities, Masterys that Proc on certain requirements and such, the game has actually become pretty diverse.

    BUT, at it's core it is still very much the same game it has always been, with a few "mini-game" additions within it.

  9. #9
    nah, this game isn't complicate at all
    it's easy to learn, hard to master

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •