Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Spectate Faker taken down. Thoughts?

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. – Socrates

What was the purpose of this? To troll him? If so, good riddance.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    What was the purpose of this? To troll him? If so, good riddance.
    To allow people to watch him play games when he wasn't streaming or if he was streaming to avoid Azubu. I don't feel like saying the entire story, but no it was not to troll him and there is a good reason it was popular(Azubu, and Faker doesn't put any effort into streaming).

My thoughts of this: Fuck Tryndamere for being such a dumbass and I hope he gets told to never speak in public again. Now Azubu is the worst offender in this situation because they used their positions to force a guys stream down after their phony DMCA claim failed. Their site is horrible and will never be a competitor to Twitch and they force any Korean LoL pro player to stream exclusively on their site causing them to make a lot less than popular streamers on Twitch or Afreeca do from streaming.

However the fact that the president of Riot games is such a fucking disgrace is the biggest smack in the face to anyone who cared about Riot. He starts off not bothering to understand the situation and immediately accusing Spectate Faker of being a bully and an "e stalker" for restreaming Faker's stream on Twitch. Then after he learns it isn't a restream and uses Riot's OWN spectate program to work he decides that his word is law and thus he could not have made a mistake. Sticking to his previous story he then talks as if he speaks for then entirety of Riot(which he latter claims he didn't mean that) and forces Spectate Fakers stream to close due to Riot owning the game they stream.

Obviously done to appease Azubu and a corporate interest rather than a player interest. However because this dumbass cannot understand how people view him he decided we're dumb enough to believe that he did it for the players and the Faker was emotionally harmed by this stream.

Seriously has Tryndamere ever not been a disgrace? He embarrassed everyone at S3 worlds and doesn't seem to understand how to be professional about anything. He hasn't even accomplished anything because other people will now stream Faker's games under different titles and that is okay. Why? Because Faker does not own the rights to his own gameplay and if he did then that would mean nobody could stream without getting consent of the other 9 players in their game. Would Riot ever do that? No because obviously this was never "for the players" but rather to bow to Azubu and make them happy.

Faker's stream sucks because he doesn't put any effort in it. He streams for the minimal hours required by his Azubu contract and doesn't interact at all. You get his game, his face, and his sponsors probably. That's it. If a spectator view of his game can get more views than his stream does just because it's on Twitch and not crappy Azubu that means two things.

1. His stream lacks quality to convince people to watch it.
    2. Azubu is such a terrible site that it encourages people to not go there.

A spectator view would never work for any streamers that actually put effort in like TheOddOne, Imaqtpie, Cowsep, etc.
    Last edited by Kilz; 2015-02-28 at 05:57 PM.

So.....someone just wants to play without being watched constantly on stream, someone sets it up so that he is FORCED to, and the people harassing him are the good guys in this? O.o

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    there is a good reason it was popular(Azubu, and Faker doesn't put any effort into streaming)..
    You realize it is not your right to decide who streams, or wants to stream, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Why? Because Faker does not own the rights to his own gameplay
    Seriously? this is blatant harassment..
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    So.....someone just wants to play without being watched constantly on stream, someone sets it up so that he is FORCED to, and the people harassing him are the good guys in this? O.o

- - - Updated - - -

You realize it is not your right to decide who streams, or wants to stream, right?
    Harassing a guy by watching his games? I guess the spectate feature should be removed entirely then so people can no longer single out a play to watch their games.

Oh whats that you want to see how the guy that mained Galio to Challenger plays? Get out of here you stalker.

Um...a lot of people don't play video games to be watched constantly.
    You're a towel.

Um...a lot of people don't play video games to be watched constantly.
    Doesn't matter at all? The spectate feature is part of Riot and they openly support it. You can pick any player you want and watch every game they play with it.

Doesn't matter at all? The spectate feature is part of Riot and they openly support it. You can pick any player you want and watch every game they play with it.
    So use the spectate function, using someone elses gameplay to promote your stream is as scumbaggy as it can get in the streaming world.
    You're a towel.

So use the spectate function, using someone elses gameplay to promote your stream is as scumbaggy as it can get in the streaming world.
    He made no profit off of it so try again. Even provided a link to Faker's stream.

He made no profit off of it so try again. Even provided a link to Faker's stream.
    I never said that they did. However, they are using SOMEONE ELSES skill to essentially get famous, at least as famous as you can in these circles.

You cannot deny that streaming someone elses play without permission is an extremely rude thing to do, period.
    You're a towel.

I never said that they did. However, they are using SOMEONE ELSES skill to essentially get famous.
    I guess we better close down those youtube channels that make montages of pro plays by others then.

I guess we better close down those youtube channels that make montages of pro plays by others then.
    I bet if they requested that they be taken down, they would.

As this person was.
    You're a towel.

I bet if they requested that they be taken down, they would.

As this person was.
    I bet it would do them no good considering there is no partnership to appease for Riot in it.

I bet it would do them no good considering there is no partnership to appease for Riot in it.
    So your beef is with who here? Riot?

If someone is benefitting from someone elses gameplay and are asked to stop, its pretty damn rude to not stop.

Is this person a very good player? Perhaps they don't want the entire streaming world to see them play all the time as they practice for more important matches.
    You're a towel.

So your beef is with who here? Riot?

If someone is benefitting from someone elses gameplay and are asked to stop, its pretty damn rude to not stop.

Is this person a very good player? Perhaps they don't want the entire streaming world to see them play all the time as they practice for more important matches.
    My beef here is with 3 different groups. First is Azubu for being scum. Second is Tryndamere for being a PR nightmare that doesn't understand what he did was wrong. Third are the people who seriously think this was harassment.

He does not benefit in any way from the Spectate Faker stream. He is not partnered with Twitch. He wasn't even well known until the Azubu DMCA disaster.

It was a way to conveniently watch Faker play games. You could not interact with Faker and anybody that stayed to watch that version rather than Faker's own stream obviously doesn't care enough to watch Faker's stream if it's on Azubu. If anything this gave Faker more viewers because people would know when he actually streamed.

Your last point makes no sense. There is TONS of information you can gather about what a player does in SoloQ. You can use the spectate option Riot provides or one of the many sites that will tell you their stats.

"He does not benefit in any way" -except for getting ill gotten fame from it for nothing

So basically, you are for group stalking someone playing a video game. If there is a way to spectate in game, use that. Don't let someone else get "Famous" for streaming SOMEONE ELSES PLAY.

I don't understand how you don't understand that isn't cool.

- - - Updated - - -

"Personally, it’s pretty clear that I should have handled communications around this better. My intent was to jump to the defense of a player (Faker) who was being singled out and streamed against his will. "

how is that a scum thing to say? He is defending someones right to NOT be stalked essentially in a way he does not approve.
    You're a towel.

"He does not benefit in any way" -except for getting ill gotten fame from it for nothing

So basically, you are for group stalking someone playing a video game. If there is a way to spectate in game, use that. Don't let someone else get "Famous" for streaming SOMEONE ELSES PLAY.

I don't understand how you don't understand that isn't cool.
    I don't understand why you keep throwing around the word "famous" like it means anything. Do you see a post that gets to reddit all and go "OMG THAT PERSONS A SUPERSTAR!"?

You must love Tryndamere a lot because you're even using the words that got him into trouble in the first place. If you're a person who thinks Tryndamere did no wrong during this entire thing and buy his PR bullshit then you obviously haven't been following from the start and don't even know the whole thing.

Tryndamere did nothing on behalf of Faker and if you believe that he did I guess you also believe Comcast desires the best for their costumers because that's what they said, regardless of how they act.

"Faker was uncomfortable about his name and gameplay being streamed without his consent, and that they believed it had a negative impact to the value and stability of his streaming offering ."

Pretty much all you need to know. It was without his consent, in a way he did NOT lend his name to. Riot does not like it, the player does not like it, the streaming service that he has a contract with does not like it.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand why you keep throwing around the word "famous" like it means anything. Do you see a post that gets to reddit all and go "OMG THAT PERSONS A SUPERSTAR!"?

You must love Tryndamere a lot because you're even using the words that got him into trouble in the first place.
    Yes, because I am quoting him. That is what the "" mean.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really give two shits about "Tryndamere". At all. However, he has a very legit point.

- - - Updated - - -

"Systematically streaming spectator mode of each of Faker’s games (rather than a few sporadically) on a rival platform understandably lessens the value of his partnership with Azubu and even more importantly, the potential of pros to gain equally lucrative streaming partnerships in the future. In a very real and material sense, the SpectateFaker stream causes Faker harm in his own judgment - and we believe he should have the right to see it discontinued."

TL;DR: the person streaming *HIS* games without his permission were fucking him over, and anyone in the future that would sign a streaming contract.
    You're a towel.

"Faker was uncomfortable about his name and gameplay being streamed without his consent, and that they believed it had a negative impact to the value and stability of his streaming offering ."

Pretty much all you need to know. It was without his consent, in a way he did NOT lend his name to. Riot does not like it, the player does not like it, the streaming service that he has a contract with does not like it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, because I am quoting him. That is what the "" mean.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really give two shits about "Tryndamere". At all. However, he has a very legit point.

- - - Updated - - -

"Systematically streaming spectator mode of each of Faker’s games (rather than a few sporadically) on a rival platform understandably lessens the value of his partnership with Azubu and even more importantly, the potential of pros to gain equally lucrative streaming partnerships in the future. In a very real and material sense, the SpectateFaker stream causes Faker harm in his own judgment - and we believe he should have the right to see it discontinued."

TL;DR: the person streaming *HIS* games without his permission were fucking him over, and anyone in the future that would sign a streaming contract.
    Faker does not own the game. Faker does not own "his" games. By saying that you prove you don't understand anything about this.

Faker does not own the game. Faker does not own "his" games. By saying that you prove you don't understand anything about this.
    Riot is saying they don't want it to happen. Guess what? It *IS* their game!

"We will intervene and shut down streams where we perceive that it’s causing harm to individual players. This will usually result from the individual player requesting the takedown (although it isn’t always dependent on it), so we’ll also make it easy for streamers to contact us with those kind of requests and look into them on a case by case basis. Although the SpectateFaker case was the genesis - and will be the first case where this policy will apply - it isn’t specifically targeted to him, any pros or even pro players exclusively. If you believe you are being targeted for harassment by someone streaming your spectator games, please file a ticket with Riot player support."

So, doing an extremely scumbaggy thing (Streaming someone elses games without permission) is now going to be targetted by Riot, all because one asshole kept doing it after they asked him to stop.
    You're a towel.