I got into an argument with a friend. We were playing a 5v5 premade and our Malphite top went complete tank (Warmogs, Frozen Heart, you name it), without ANY damage items.

Now obviously, the problem with this build is that while you'll be pretty tough to take down, there's no point in being that tanky if people are just going to ignore you. After Malphite uses his ultimate, what the hell is he gonna do? He can slow a bit, sure, but he'll do such negligible damage that you can just kill the others first and not worry about him.

Then, the aforementioned friend states that you should go all tank and TRINITY FORCE. And only TF for damage, tank items otherwise. Well, I said "Really dude?", maybe in a slightly condescending way (not on purpose), because I know that Trinity Force on someone like Malphite simply isn't good, because he does not spam spells that much, he isn't AD and he doesn't need all those different stats.

Before I could explain this though, he's like "Yeah, okay, I guess I don't know what I'm talking about! It's not like I've played him before and gone 15/x/x and stuff before", and some other stuff before he hangs up on Skype.

I really, really HATE it when people can't take criticism. I can't handle those people. I just don't mesh with them well. I mean, I can be a pretty bad loser myself, but if someone proves that I'm wrong, I'll shut up. But when other people talk like they're an expert on something and I prove them wrong (or try to), and they just get really mad and storm off, I'm extremely irritated.

Not to mention when people say "I've played <champion> as <thing>/with <item> before and went <score>, it's the best!". Okay, why is that not a more popular thing? Why does no one do that normally? Can you prove it? Usually they can't, but I guess I'll just have to trust their word!

But I am right about Trinity Force being wrong on Malphite top, right? Because it would suck hard if I was wrong now.
    Last edited by NotValidAnymore; 2013-03-02 at 05:11 PM.

Deleted
    AD Malphite isn't as bad as people make it out. Sure, going AP items instead of AD items is way better since it's a lot easier, like Kennen going AP, which is easier to play, then going AD with him, which isn't as easy.

Trinity on him isn't bad on him from what I've seen on some Malphites but in the end, it always comes down to being able to play him properly with build X.

AD isn't really that good especially because AD items don't always have defense stats, atleast not like some AP items have(Abyssal Scepter), so, going AD will definitely not make you tanky most of the times.

You just need to know how to play a champion to make him/her viable with build X.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    snip
    Well obviously TF is terrible on malphite top. I think you can afford to go 1-2 damage items on malph top, but I guess it depends on the teamcomp and whether or not you laneswapped with bot. If you do go full tank on malph you should atleast get aura and utility tank items over "selfish" tank items.

Your friend sounds a lot like people on this forum tbh. Using faulty arguments, focusing on insignifcant details and then resorting to anecdotal evidence "I once went 15/x/x with this build" like they are advertising their build on mobafire. It´s really quite frustrating to deal with people like this and probablly not worth the time since they´re too stubborn to change their minds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollspwn View Post
    Your friend sounds a lot like people on this forum tbh. Using faulty arguments, focusing on insignifcant details and then resorting to anecdotal evidence "I once went 15/x/x with this build" like they are advertising their build on mobafire. It´s really quite frustrating to deal with people like this and probablly not worth the time since they´re too stubborn to change their minds.
    WHO COULD YOU BE TALKING ABOUT?

@Grading: It's stupid not to get items such as Abyssal Scepter, Rylais/IBG.. It's free tankyness+damage, Malph has great AP ratio's, too great to ignore. Chalice>Athene's is great aswell, but is fairly situational. Not getting Sunfire is a mistake too, again, free damage on top of massive tankyness? MALPHY LIKEY.

AP, HP and armor. Those are probably some of the best stats for Malphite. Some exceptions are things like Abyssal Scepter since it gives a bit of MR and spell penetration.

I just hate it when people state things as facts and don't accept it when they're wrong. Especially when they don't even put up an argument.

Deleted
    Hmm Quin just came out but the oldest 6.3k champion wasn't moves down 1 tier? Am I missing something here?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alteam View Post
    Hmm Quin just came out but the oldest 6.3k champion wasn't moves down 1 tier? Am I missing something here?
    Maybe they're gonna do it on Monday with the new sale?

@malph items:
    I prefer a build of Sunfire, Abyssal, Haunting guise/Liandry's, Sorc boots + whatever you still need. Randuins is great due to increased E damage and it adds a really strong aoe slow after his ult initiation. You only need a chalice vs heavy AP lanes/heavy poke lanes where the enemy wont allow you to regen the passive back up so you have to spam that Q to trade back. Sell it later on. You are still very tanky but you can kill a squishy in a single combo if they don't build defensive items.
    The full tank build only works vs AS dependant Carries and with a good team which will abuse that you zone the enemy Ad carry (aka NOT your average game).

If you really want more damage I'd rather get a gauntler than a Trinity though. Gauntlet adds more damage (AoE > singletarget) and allows you to chain more cc after your ultimate. But i've got to admit that I've only built this like once in all my malph games and that was because it didn't matter anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alteam View Post
    At least on EUW, Leona was moved down to 4800 as soon as Quinn was made available. And she was the oldest 6300 IP Champion.

Deleted
    The latest posts on here made me reminiscence about AD Malphite.
    Maramuna + Frozen Heart + Bloodthirster allready amounts to like 340 AD with W up. Add in the active toggle from Maramuna and there's enough burst to punch someone down in a few hits.
    Not like it's really viable, but who cares. The game is about having fun after all ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elendoil View Post
    At least on EUW, Leona was moved down to 4800 as soon as Quinn was made available. And she was the oldest 6300 IP Champion.
    oh right. Forgot to check in the box "View all champions". I was looking at the champs i don't yet have..

Deleted
    Anyone else having trouble on EUW?

My clients acting slow as fuuuuuuuudgeee.

Even in-game im lagging D:
    Last edited by mmocfaf6580671; 2013-03-02 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivalion View Post
    Anyone else having trouble on EUW?

My clients acting slow as fuuuuuuuudgeee.

Even in-game im lagging D:
    I will find out very soon!

Deleted
    Well let me know how it goes, I cant even login atm T_T

EUW has been working just fine for me all day today and yesterday(and before that as well)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    So trying out Taric top and I got to say he is AMAZING against AD heavy teams. If you think your team can last to like 35 minutes then you can grab a tear as your first item for a muramana, otherwise I would say skip the whole thing if you think you need early game power.

You'll get over 300 armor easily and adding up all my damage before resists I was at something like 500-600 damage with muramana active on auto attacks without counting gauntlet procs. So against a team that is AD heavy you're going to be able to just run in and either protect your ADC by attacking the divers or go for theirs because they cant take you on so they're forced to either have their team focus on you or having the ADC only be able to hit you as they try to kite. Either way its a good situation considering you're going to be the tankiest person on your team and you make it easier for your ADC.

It's actually surprising how much damage Taric will get while still building tanky. However this is shutdown against AP heavy teams because you cant stack the armor/mana items without being blown up by AP damage and there aren't as many choices for MR/mana that fit Taric.
    What did you build im kind curious?

Quote Originally Posted by Sivalion View Post
    Well let me know how it goes, I cant even login atm T_T
    Works fiiiine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durmindo View Post
    What did you build im kind curious?
    Probably along the lines of Muramana, Frozen Heart, Iceborn Gauntlet, Wit's End for AS and MR, and Warmog's. Boots will probably either be Tabis or Mercs.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Works fiiiine.
    Yeahhhhhh

I pulled out my brothers netcable and BAMMMMMMM

Everything works perfectly fine now.

I WONDER WHYYYYYYY

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    End build not including boots would look something like Muramana/Wit's End/Icebourn Gauntlets/Frozenheart/Health item(most likely warmogs in a lot of cases), so exactly what Thallidomaniac said. This is assuming that the enemy team is something like 3 AD and 1 AP not counting the support. I feel like Taric's new passive and Muramana become so powerful that you need an attack speed item to make use of it, and Wit's end is the only real choice besides maybe a botrk which is more expensive. Nashor's Tooth would shoot you over the CDR cap and taric cant make use of crit items that well so it really narrows down the choices.

As for what order to build things it's really up in the air and depends on the situation outside of getting your tear first. You could also go for a RoA after tear if you really think you can get away with it, but I think it takes too much gold and delays getting certain items too long. I would say go for a Sheen and then Glacial shroud if your dominating your lane, and if you aren't then go for a glacial shroud first. I wouldn't really play Taric against AP top because that just makes his free armor bonus and ability to rush armor items pointless. An early Wit's end isn't really that potent if you don't have your mana items to buff your passive up.

Taric as a bruiser has a lot of build paths though, so I'm interested to see what becomes standard for it. I think Zekent at least will probably become interested in taric top considering it fits his style of picking underplayed things like Karma/AP Janna/Poppy. Taric definitely has damage while building tanky now though, so I think he at least has a spot as a fun pick.

I tried in draft And people thought i was a troll And they would get me reported And was going to be the 1st time tryng do i just gave up, in normAls are more likely