Jax doesn't really contribute in teamfights. He's better off splitpushing/forcing duels, or running clean up. If he jumps in after the initiate, he still gets blown up, and his peel is pretty lacking. However, 1v1 or even 2v1, he's a monster.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

Deleted
    I'm back on the throwing spree, there isn't a worse feeling in the world than to throw a game you've have a lead early with stupid mistakes late game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valex View Post
    I don't think it was over the bug fix, I think it was over the proposed changes (makings his ult range the same as Noc's ult, ect) that are going/ were on the pbe awhile ago.
    It was over the bug fix. You could've just read the link provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyese View Post
    Jax doesn't really contribute in teamfights. He's better off splitpushing/forcing duels, or running clean up. If he jumps in after the initiate, he still gets blown up, and his peel is pretty lacking. However, 1v1 or even 2v1, he's a monster.
    If he runs in after the fight is essentially over, though... its an easy cleanup multi-kill for him. He's incredible at demolishing squishy targets instantly. I can kill any ADC before my E stun wears off once I get blade and TF. Once he gets Randuins and GA (usually around the 35 minute mark, sometimes a little later), he is as obnoxious to kill as any full tank while doing stupid amounts of damage.

I dont get the Jax ban obsession either. I dont think Ive ever banned him as theres no reason to. I see a lot more champions flat out take over more than Jax does. Especially when top lane (imo) isnt that impactful these days. Ya he can jungle but Id be a lot more scared of Warwick, Udyr, etc than Jax

- - - Updated - - -

Who are some good top lanes to take when selecting first (besides Renekton/Ryze). Cause the ones I play normally (Trundle/Nasus) are not smart unless you know what your opponent is first. Is there anyone else thats pretty safe like maybe Rumble Darius Fiora Riven? I wouldve put Jax but hes banned 99% of the time

Shyvana is the safest you can get top lane. Top laners are actually pretty counter dependent. You either get the late game monster that gets demolished early by Renekton (Nasus, Jax), the early game champ that falls off late (Lee Sin, Renekton) or the semi late game champ that can play incredibly safe for the majority of the game (Shyvana, Ryze)

10+ Year Old Account
    Shyvana and Trundle are pretty safe picks. Shyvana tends to get pushed into her turret early, but you quickly scale up and become tanky from your passive while doing stupid amounts of damage. She does well against renekton and can farm from a distance with her E if she does start to get behind from jungle pressure or something. Though she doesn't do as well in lanes where the other person has ranged autos and strong disengage, like kennen.

Trundle destroys almost everyone in even 1 on 1 fights, in particular bruisers. With his ult and Q he just out bruisers them and it's not even a fair fight. I don't play him as much as shyvana, but I would think he would do poorly against people with ranged autos if they harassed well.

I wouldn't really say Darius is a safe pick for top lane. He is a huge lane bully that out damages basically everything but he has some huge flaws. He lacks any form of mobility and is a huge gank magnet. However, his damage is absurd in the early game and if you build a bit of damage he plays a bit like an assassin in the mid game. The late game is not as kind to him though. If you are not farmed or have kills you become a flash apprehend damage sponge bot. His late game relies almost completely on having an advantage over the other person and he will be outscaled by most top laners. That being said, it is oh so very easy to crush people in lane with him.

I would recommend shyvana though. She is very safe, scales pretty well and is an all around good pick .

What about Fiora? Ive been interested in learning her but I dont wanna learn someone that is only successful in certain matchups/comps. I want someone that can dominate top lane somewhat consistently.

And I think Trundle gets countered pretty hard by Teemo, even moreso than Nasus imo. I wouldnt pick Trundle against other APs like Elise, Vlad, Rumble either.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    What about Fiora? Ive been interested in learning her but I dont wanna learn someone that is only successful in certain matchups/comps. I want someone that can dominate top lane somewhat consistently.

And I think Trundle gets countered pretty hard by Teemo, even moreso than Nasus imo. I wouldnt pick Trundle against other APs like Elise, Vlad, Rumble either.
    I think she's better mid than top, too many dickbreak champions who just wreck her. All the main bruisers -should- beat her at least in mid you can dominate mages with not a ton of mobility. Honestly, if you're maining top at Gold it really doesn't matter what you pick as long as you do well on it. I'd suggest trying out Aatrox if you want an all around solid top laner. Everything you lose to can be mitigated by just farming and playing safe, sustaining with W, ect. Hydra / Randuins / Visage + situational items and you'll be a team fight monster who can split push and 1v1 almost anyone in the game providing they aren't super fed. If you're looking for the most consistent top champ it's Renekton every day of the week. There's not 1 matchup I personally feel is a losing one for him especially because you can punish mistakes hardcore.

If you can play her, AD Nidalee top is a bitch to deal with for pretty much anyone. She's not too hard but you're kind of useless to the team if the game ever gets to the team fight phase. Also if you first pick her most people will assume it's Nid mid and won't worry about trying to pick someone that counters her. I honestly don't even really know what counters her since she punishes a lot of melee tops and once you're 6 you can safely disengage from their gap closers with cougar bullshit. Frozen Fist, Randuins, Spirit Visage are all good items on her. CJ Flame used to build BotRK on her too which seemed like it could be cool for 1v1ing. Mainly, you'll split push all game. But overall it really doesn't matter what you play as long as you don't lose your lane on a regular basis. And even if you do, as long as you learn something from it and keep a level head you'll improve. There's so many people who play primarily 1 champion and just spam games on them no matter the matchup. The more you learn about the champ, the easier counter picks become. Also Jayce is another safe pick you can go with if you're comfortable playing that type of champion. I woulden't focus too much on counter picks unless you're blind picking Fizz or something. You eventually just learn how to beat them and it can be too mentally taxing to worry about every game. Put's you behind from the getgo if you think you're gonna lose based on what champ they picked rather than if they are good at the game or not!

tldr: Jayce, Aatrox, AD Nidalee
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2014-05-18 at 07:20 AM.

Just rush spirit visage and laugh at their harrass.

Can anyone, who isn't a hypercarry duelist like jax, fight trundle 1v1 when his ult is up, after he has his cutlass?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Who are some good top lanes to take when selecting first (besides Renekton/Ryze). Cause the ones I play normally (Trundle/Nasus) are not smart unless you know what your opponent is first. Is there anyone else thats pretty safe like maybe Rumble Darius Fiora Riven? I wouldve put Jax but hes banned 99% of the time
    Pick Tryndamere.
    Good sustain, amazing late game scaling, can actually cheese people at level 1 and crit them to death.
    If you don't win your lane outright you can always just farm until you're a monster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Can anyone, who isn't a hypercarry duelist like jax, fight trundle 1v1 when his ult is up, after he has his cutlass?
    In the case of Jax or Shyvana, whoever blinks first loses. Basically, the first one to ult loses the match up.

Don't take her top. She does horrible there, excluding a very select few opponents. She does much better in mid (where she can assassinate squishies) or the jungle (where she can assassinate squishies).

Trundle doesn't care about Teemo. The first few levels are annoying, but you can sustain through his harass pretty well and once you have a spectre's cowl you're golden.

Trundle assists ganks on Teemo fairly well too, with his pillar. If Trundle ever catches Teemo, the li'l rodent goes splat.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    Trundle destroys almost everyone in even 1 on 1 fights, in particular bruisers. With his ult and Q he just out bruisers them and it's not even a fair fight. I don't play him as much as shyvana, but I would think he would do poorly against people with ranged autos if they harassed well.
    Ranged harass he can't reach murders him. Jayce is pretty much the single worst hard counter to Trundle. No tankiness to steal, get pelted hard from range (too hard to sustain through) and if you ever get close he just whacks you away with his hammerform again. On top of that Jayce has %health damage, so building tanky doesn't do much either.

10+ Year Old Account

Top is probably the most "balanced" lane in terms of no one champion having consistently good matchups while also being incredibly safe (Mid Lulu looking at you). Everyone has a counter that is viable and usually well known. The three best right now though would be Renekton, Shyv, or Tundle.

Quote Originally Posted by Valex View Post
    Nasus would probably be good against Trundle late game, Nasus Q stacks + the slow on his W would probably beat out Trundle in a straight up duel (provided his Q is at a good farm).

Early/ mid is a different story.
    Nasus would have to reach that late game first, and against a Trundle who knows what he is doing, he never should.

Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    Top is probably the most "balanced" lane in terms of no one champion having consistently good matchups while also being incredibly safe (Mid Lulu looking at you). Everyone has a counter that is viable and usually well known. The three best right now though would be Renekton, Shyv, or Tundle.
    Its not about being safe, it could be someone that is very risky thats not a problem. Its not even about having a good matchup, its about avoiding a "wow I cant do anything" matchup which top lane gets so clustered with. There are champions that when counter picked cant even play if their opponent has half a brain and their only solution is to need jungler help. I just wanted someone that has a chance in a variety of matchups, be it favorable or unfavorable that is capable of taking over games

Aatrox does sound interesting I will give him a shot next time hes free.

I don't think spirit visage helps much when vlad is the case. A little magic penetration helps more than usual to Vladimir's harrass.

10+ Year Old Account

Did u assume that a good teemo will let Trundle get to lvl 6 in first place ?
    Teemo is one of worst nightmares in lane, if u don't have Yorick or a good jungler who will camp top, Teemo will reach lvl 9 while u 6 (Also Jayce can trade with Teemo with ranged pocking for bruisers/fighters top)

Deleted
    I got this urge to try out Vayne top, whenever I get my hands on her.
    Is she viable top at all, in the current meta, with Jaxes, Renes, Shyvs, Trundles, Doges etc often being in top?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    Did u assume that a good teemo will let Trundle get to lvl 6 in first place ?
    Teemo is one of worst nightmares in lane, if u don't have Yorick or a good jungler who will camp top, Teemo will reach lvl 9 while u 6 (Also Jayce can trade with Teemo with ranged pocking for bruisers/fighters top)
    Trundle doesn't care about Teemo. Teemo doesn't hurt enough vs the natural regen Trundle has.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDok View Post
    I got this urge to try out Vayne top, whenever I get my hands on her.
    Is she viable top at all, in the current meta, with Jaxes, Renes, Shyvs, Trundles, Doges etc often being in top?
    Works, but I'd sooner pick Quinn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Trundle doesn't care about Teemo. Teemo doesn't hurt enough vs the natural regen Trundle has.
    That depends on the skill-level of both parties, though... mostly the Trundle.

Speaking of ranged counters, I've spoken about it before, but I had to fight a Tristana top as Trundle once. She couldn't kill me, but I couldn't catch her either. She simply ignored my pillar by jumping and I couldn't reach her with the field.

Though I did catch her twice after level 6, it simply eats up too much time to try to get her in lane, and I died once because her Riven jungler swooped in. Though I almost killed them both... I got kited.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with Vayne/Soraka etc, the squishy top team, is they have very low chance to survive a gank, while Teemo is squishy for example, his mushrooms makes any jungler hate to gank his lane any day + his W give him high speed boost, Vayne doesn't have that

@Trundle "natural regen", Trundle heals 2% only at wave death, assume he is near each mob dies he will heal, 12%, unless trundle plays with fixed mr glyphs (everyone even before the buff use scaling mr glyphs) he will lose a lot more than 12% by trying to stay near the wave, and before u say he heals 6%, we talking early game only here
    Best counter to Teemo (beside Yorick) is to just let him win early game, late game Teemo start to drop in team fights vs Trundle who can take lot of punish and be a pita