Poll: Win 7 or Vista?

Should I upgrade to Win 7 64-bit from Vista 32?

Not sure if the upgrade is worth the hassle of backups and reinstalling everything, but my friends say its a significant upgrade. Some things about my computer:

4 GB ram (displays as 4GB in System menu in Control Panel, not sure if its using full memory)
    2 GHz Dual Core processor
    5200 RPM HDD
    128 MB nvidia video card

If its going to be a big performance upgrade I'll do it, not sure though.

Vista is complete garbage and you'd notice a big difference with windows 7 or XP, but you might want to wait till you upgrade your hardware.

vista is fine. ive never had any problems
    MY youtube channel Youtube.com/FrostynugsPVP

Windows 7 is a lot better then vista. I think you'll noticed a big difference in terms of performance in the two.

i wouldn't think twice: Go with vista x64

15+ Year Old Account
    LOL VISTA

no really, Vista sucks.
    What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?

Are you conscious in the sense of being aware of your own awareness?

it's not gonna be a performance upgrade, but a stability one.
    Win 7 is much more stable than vista, and a lot of programs won't randomly crash, but your computer isn't gonna be magically 2x faster.
    Win7 is so much better than Vista. much much more stable and a lot more compatible.
    but with your actual (old ) system, I wouldn't recommend the 64bits just yet.
    I'm guessing it's a laptop with this kind of hard drive and graphic card.

if you don't have any crashes despite running with Vista, then save some money and buy a new computer/laptop, that will be with win7 on it.
    if you do have stability issues sometimes, than upgrading to win7 will make a difference now.
    Last edited by ragingsoul; 2011-06-05 at 02:32 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Ret was broken. If you don’t see eye to eye with us on that, then it’s understandable why the degree of change might be surprising to you
    i7 920@ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte X58A-UD7, 6GB Ram Triple Channel OCZ @ 1900Mhz, CrossFire HD 5850 1Gb, Vertex 3 240Gb, BenQ M2700HD. G15 Keyboard

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by malkara View Post
    LOL VISTA

no really, Vista sucks.
    You have to love stereotypes from prior to an OS's first service pack.

OP: Vista SP2 and 7 SP1 are both good OS's. The only question is if you want to fully utilize that 4GB RAM. Your current 32-bit OS can address roughly 4GB worth of memory addresses. That includes video RAM and a few other minor things. If you have a 1GB VRAM video card, then you're really only using 3GB of the 4GB RAM in your computer, even though the full 4GB is being recognized. If you plan to add more RAM for some reason or use a video card with more VRAM, then you would almost certainly want to switch. Otherwise, it's pretty much 50/50.

I wouldn't pick the OS to be the one part to upgrade at that point.
    The rest of your build, save RAM, are decent candidates to give you bigger improvements. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by moguri View Post
    2 GHz Dual Core processor
    5200 RPM HDD
    128 MB nvidia video card

If its going to be a big performance upgrade I'll do it, not sure though.
    You'd see more of a performance upgrade by improving your hardware IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you do move to 64 bits, remember you need to change most of your 32-bit software to 64-bit version, otherwise you won't be able to run them.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlakatal View Post
    If you do move to 64 bits, remember you need to change most of your 32-bit software to 64-bit version, otherwise you won't be able to run them.
    Not true, programs can run in 32 bit mode.

Thanks for the feedback, and yes its a laptop from 3-4 years ago. Here are the actual specs (found them)

- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
    - Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    - 4GB DDR2 System Memory
    - 383MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    - 120GB 5400RPM HDD

So upgrading compenents isnt really an option

My biggest complaint with Vista is actually the fact that it's a memory hog. In addition to the 32 bit version not utilizing all the ram you have on the system, Vista itself chews up a much bigger chunk of memory than either XP or 7, at least in my experience.