Deleted

Generation skipping.

I've got a new build planned for around november, so essentially for when Bulldozer launches. Now Bulldozer is going to be Intels SB competitor, but I have no expectations that Bulldozer will overtake the higher end chips, i.e. i5 2500k. If you look at the breakdown of cost of Bulldozers and their expected competitor (I'll try to find where I put the .jpg) then the i5 2500k is being matched with an 8 core cpu, I really don't think much will come from this.

So with that in mind I've been thinking of generation skipping. I usually build rigs with the intention of skipping as many generations as possible, with as little degradation in performance as I can. So I'll be buying an i5 2500k, or Bulldozer if it somehow beats it in gaming, alongside something like a 6870/6950, . I've no desire to buy into Ivy Bridge, yes they'll be better but the price/performance ratio of a upgrade wouldn't be worth it.

Anyone else deliberately build higher end rigs with the intention to skip the next generation entirely? This of course doesn't apply to enthusiasts, this is more aimed at performance buyers.

Sandy Bridge will be the best of the best until Intel beats it with its own 2011 Socket due out 4th quarter or next year. Not any reason for skipping it honestly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Visioned View Post
    Sandy Bridge will be the best of the best until Intel beats it with its own 2011 Socket due out 4th quarter or next year. Not any reason for skipping it honestly.
    Ivy Bridge isn't due until some time next year at the very earliest, and buying each generation is often very, very unnecessary. This is due to the fact programming update speed at a consumer level is often curbed to the market, not many computer users have an i5 2500k system, so even people running 45nm CPUs can still play current games, run current programs without too many issues, presuming they bought very high end. Clear example is Crysis and Crysis 2, Crysis was a multi generation game, designed to challenge hardware beyond it's time on the PC. Crysis 2 was curbed because of the market.

Considering Intel's tick-tock schedules a substantially new release every year, all skipping a "generation" requires is keeping a machine around for the maximum of about a year. I do believe that is rather common even amongst higher-end hobbyists. ;-)

That said, considering Ivy Bridge is said to run on 'properly equipped' 6-series LGA1155 motherboards, it should make for a relatively easy upgrade for those who care. Also, DDR4 is not likely to become a factor until late 2012 to 2013 at the earliest, so that probably won't appear in anything until Haswell.

VLIW4 graphics cards (currently 69xx) should also age fairly gracefully, as they are likely to be the basis for future designs.

I think this was the chart you were looking for: http://i51.tinypic.com/25ircwp.jpg I consider it rather optimistic as a pricing strategy if 'dozer isn't the clear performance victor in each segment. My feelings on BD can be summed up by: http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/5034/bulldozer.png
    Moonkin maybe looking for raiding guild.
    Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | Abit IP35 Pro | 8GB DDR2 | XFX GTX 260 | Crucial C300 128GB | Asus Xonar STX | Corsair 550VX | Dell U3011 | IBM Model M | Razer Naga

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Havermeyer View Post
    Considering Intel's tick-tock schedules a substantially new release every year, all skipping a "generation" requires is keeping a machine around for the maximum of about a year. I do believe that is rather common even amongst higher-end hobbyists. ;-)

That said, considering Ivy Bridge is said to run on 'properly equipped' 6-series LGA1155 motherboards, it should make for a relatively easy upgrade for those who care. Also, DDR4 is not likely to become a factor until late 2012 to 2013 at the earliest, so that probably won't appear in anything until Haswell.

VLIW4 graphics cards (currently 69xx) should also age fairly gracefully, as they are likely to be the basis for future designs.

I think this was the chart you were looking for: http://i51.tinypic.com/25ircwp.jpg I consider it rather optimistic as a pricing strategy if 'dozer isn't the clear performance victor in each segment. My feelings on BD can be summed up by: http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/5034/bulldozer.png
    Nice one, that was the price plan. I love AMD but I've little expectations in all honesty, they've been holding out on it so long I'm led to believe that when it does launch, it'll be a step behind Sandy Bridge. It'll be great for the average consumer but for intense gaming, I really don't think it's going to make it.

I was in the AMD camp myself all through the NetBurst dark ages. Went back to Intel with the great Kentsfield fire sale. Still rooting for AMD to release something mind blowing, but not really expecting it this round.
    Moonkin maybe looking for raiding guild.
    Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | Abit IP35 Pro | 8GB DDR2 | XFX GTX 260 | Crucial C300 128GB | Asus Xonar STX | Corsair 550VX | Dell U3011 | IBM Model M | Razer Naga

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Ivy Bridge isn't due until some time next year at the very earliest
    But he was talking about Sandy Bridge-E, ie, LGA2011, not Ivy Bridge, ie, die-shrink of LGA1155.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    But he was talking about Sandy Bridge-E, ie, LGA2011, not Ivy Bridge, ie, die-shrink of LGA1155.
    Eh, the die shrink of sandy bridge is codenamed Ivy Bridge last time I checked.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have what you say in mind.

I plan to revolve my shopping around CPUs and GPUs.

As of now i got I5-2500k and a GTX470. So when Nvidia releases the 600 series i will get a GTX680. And i will skip the Ivybridge and get the series after that. With a new Mobo and possibly new Ram. And ofcourse a new heatsink.

Hybrid parts, that fit almost anything. Like HDD, SSD, PSU and Case i get when the need arises. If GTX680 is power hungry i upgrade the PSU. If i want a new Case i get a new Case.

HDDs and SSDs are the 2 things i wont change very often. At least not before 480GB Sata3 drop to 2500-3000 NOK (466-559$). Sata3 or Revodrive that is. Seeing Revodrives are generaly cheaper and faster than Sata3 at same capacity. And HDD i wont swap. I will just add on more.

And when Blu-ray become mainstream i will buy a good and reliable one. Even if it is expensive. (Mainstream for games etc that it)
    Last edited by kailtas; 2011-06-05 at 04:18 PM.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    I have what you say in mind.

I plan to revolve my shopping around CPUs and GPUs.

As of now i got I5-2500k and a GTX470. So when Nvidia releases the 600 series i will get a GTX680. And i will skip the Ivybridge and get the series after that. With a new Mobo and possibly new Ram. And ofcourse a new heatsink.

Hybrid parts, that fit almost anything. Like HDD, SSD, PSU and Case i get when the need arises. If GTX680 is power hungry i upgrade the PSU. If i want a new Case i get a new Case.

HDDs and SSDs are the 2 things i wont change very often. At least not before 480GB Sata3 drop to 2500-3000 NOK (466-559$). And HDD i wont swap. I will just add on more.

And when Blu-ray become mainstream i will buy a good and reliable one. Even if it is expensive. (Mainstream for games etc that it)
    Indeed, I won't bother buying Ivy, won't buy 7000 series gpu either. Blu ray is rather slow to take over really, but basic drives here for it aren't too expensive. Then again I've not used an optical drive besides installing WoW/Os in years.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes, the shrink to 22nm will be Ivy Bridge, however, LGA2011 is the replacement for i7x 1366 and will be called Sandy Bridge-E, Xeons will go on to a new 1365 socket

what i cant remember is if the new 3d gates will be on SB-E or IB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    what i cant remember is if the new 3d gates will be on SB-E or IB
    On Ivy, because it's related to solving the difficulties of doing 22nm transistors.

I've got a new build planned for around november, so essentially for when Bulldozer launches. Now Bulldozer is going to be Intels SB competitor, but I have no expectations that Bulldozer will overtake the higher end chips, i.e. i5 2500k. If you look at the breakdown of cost of Bulldozers and their expected competitor (I'll try to find where I put the .jpg) then the i5 2500k is being matched with an 8 core cpu, I really don't think much will come from this.

So with that in mind I've been thinking of generation skipping. I usually build rigs with the intention of skipping as many generations as possible, with as little degradation in performance as I can. So I'll be buying an i5 2500k, or Bulldozer if it somehow beats it in gaming, alongside something like a 6870/6950, . I've no desire to buy into Ivy Bridge, yes they'll be better but the price/performance ratio of a upgrade wouldn't be worth it.

Anyone else deliberately build higher end rigs with the intention to skip the next generation entirely? This of course doesn't apply to enthusiasts, this is more aimed at performance buyers.
    my PC has been running strong since 2002... only recently had to replace the graphics card and power supply.. been running Ultra or atleast the top settings in wow for as long as i can remember... looks beautiful too...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkagial View Post
    my PC has been running strong since 2002... only recently had to replace the graphics card and power supply.. been running Ultra or atleast the top settings in wow for as long as i can remember... looks beautiful too...
    I seriously dont see the reason why you have to lie over the internet. There's no way in hell you run in ultra with a computer that has atleast a processor from 2002.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    I seriously dont see the reason why you have to lie over the internet. There's no way in hell you run in ultra with a computer that has atleast a processor from 2002.
    Aye, especially with WoW, arguably the most common CPU eating game out there in 25 mans.

Which is precisely what I said, and you did not.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll roughly go...

Sandybridge-E LGA 2011 Q4'11
    Ivybridge LGA 1155 Q2'12
    Ivybridge-E LGA 2011 Q4'12
    Haswell Q2-Q3'13

Ivybridge will obviously be the revision of Sandybridge. Along with 22nm it'll also feature 3D Transistors instead of the current 2D which means a better and more efficient power design for the processor. They're also going to support PCI-E 3.0 on the Z77/Z75/H71 Chipsets codenamed Panther Point and be backwards compatible on PCI-E 2.0 motherboards like the current P67/H67/H61/Z68/etc.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-06-05 at 06:56 PM.