(Friendly) Nameplate addon

Hi.

Does anyone know of an addon that displays friendly names in the same fashion DocsNameplates does? I lose about 10 fps when im using Docs and my fps is already as low as it can be before it becomes unplayable.

There's two pictures showing what i mean. I find it really useful while healing to have a good idea of where everyone are since some heals require positioning.

Any help is much appreciated.

I'd love to have a replacement to Docs too as I ended up turning it off due to massive lag.

Quote Originally Posted by thecraftybee View Post
    I'd love to have a replacement to Docs too as I ended up turning it off due to massive lag.
    Hi!

I am no user of this addon, but I can help you anyways.

The problem with the lag is due to the additional parameter Blizzard added to the
    COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_ events with 4.1. This ends up in addons putting parameters
    in the wrong variables, which then later makes those addons go banana, and going
    banana leads to massiv lag (sometimes disconnect). All Addons using these
    events need an update taking this extra parameter into account. Luckily on wowinterface
    someone already explained how to fix your favourite Nameplates for 4.1. I am snapping
    in his explanations here. Be aware though that in 4.2 Blizzard again adds a parameter,
    and more fixing will be required. Due to the fact that this nameplate addon is very
    cleanly implemented (I had a look at the code) a 4.2 fix will be very easy to do.

I guess the guy who fixed it for 4.1 on wowinterface will do it, if not, ask in this thread
    again once 4.2 hits, and I will have a look at it myselves.

And here we go with the explanation from skycatcher who fixed DocsNameplates. You can
    use any text editor to edit the file in question (myselves I can recommend UltraEdit or
    PSPad). If you have still problems with it, feel free to ask about it.

--- snip ---

ha, I just posted this at curse but same applies

Alright, who's ready to give me some internetz?

I recommend you download a nice text editor like Crimson Editor or something similar with line numbers (no notepad or wordwrapping!) The instructions will be:

==== file you need to edit.lua ====
    Find this line here -> blablabla
    Replace with: (whatever is below)

OK here we go:

==== core.lua ====

FIND Line 61 -> SetCVar( "spreadnameplates", 0 )
    REPLACE with
    -- SetCVar( "spreadnameplates", 0 )

FIND line 63 -> SetCVar( "bloatthreat", 0 )
    ADD THIS BELOW THAT LINE:

SetCVar("ShowClassColorInNameplate",1)
    SetCVar("showVKeyCastbar",1)

FIND line 209 -> --~ if tonumber(value)~=1 then
    REPLACE WITH
    if tonumber(value)~=1 then
    SetNamePlateMotionType(1)
    else
    SetNamePlateMotionType(3) -- 1=overlapping, 2=stacking, 3=spreading
    end

--~ if tonumber(value)~=1 then

==== COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED.lua =====

Lines 204, 269, 290, 314, 337 (yes all of them, don't forget 1) -> local timestamp, eventType, srcGUID, srcName, srcFlags, dstGUID, dstName, dstFlags = select( 1, ... )

REPLACE EVERY ONE OF THOSE WITH:
    local timestamp, eventType, hideCaster, srcGUID, srcName, srcFlags, dstGUID, dstName, dstFlags = select( 1, ... )

==== create.lua ====

FIND LINE 1030 ->
    reg.threatGlow, reg.healthBorder, reg.castBorder, reg.castNostop, reg.spellIcon, reg.highlightTexture, reg.nameText, reg.levelText, reg.dangerSkull, reg.raidIcon, reg.eliteIcon = frame:GetRegions()

and REPLACE WITH (MAKING 2 Serperate Lines. Line 1 starts with reg.threatGlow and ends with frame:GetRegions() )

reg.threatGlow, reg.healthBorder, reg.highlightTexture, reg.nameText, reg.levelText, reg.dangerSkull, reg.raidIcon, reg.eliteIcon = frame:GetRegions()
    reg.castBorder, reg.castNostop, reg.spellIcon = child.castBar:GetRegions()

==== update.lua ====

FIND line 1827 -> if frame:GetName() then

REPLACE with
    if frame:GetName() and not string.find(frame:GetName(), "^NamePlate") then

That's it. I spent something like 8 hours troubleshooting this and I have it working for myself. It's 6am and I'm tired so if I forgot something I appologize.

Let me know what's up.

--- snap ---

No one has any ideas? Would love to have some replacement to Docs until i get a better computer.

Quote Originally Posted by kardar View Post
    No one has any ideas? Would love to have some replacement to Docs until i get a better computer.
    Did you not read my reply? I described in detail how you can fix Docs so that the slowdown/lag no longer happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSN View Post
    Did you not read my reply? I described in detail how you can fix Docs so that the slowdown/lag no longer happens.
    I did read your reply but I assumed it was for the poster under me and not for me. My lag has nothing to do with the 'unplayable lag' that came with 4.1 because of LUA errors. I already thanked you on wowinterface for your fix (if it was you that posted the fix over there) Docs has given me fpsdrops even before 4.1 and i'm just looking for a replacement until I get some better hardware. Its just my computer being shitty nothing to do with the addon itself.

I did read your reply but I assumed it was for the poster under me and not for me. My lag has nothing to do with the 'unplayable lag' that came with 4.1 because of LUA errors. I already thanked you on wowinterface for your fix (if it was you that posted the fix over there) Docs has given me fpsdrops even before 4.1 and i'm just looking for a replacement until I get some better hardware. Its just my computer being shitty nothing to do with the addon itself.
    It was not me who did the fix. Anyways, the problems with 4.1 which generate lag due to the Combat Log Changes Blizzard did DOES NOT CREATE LUA ERRORS for most addons having this problem. It just creates lag. This
    fpsdrop you describe is typical of the problem, and the described fix should fix the issue and
    make it behave fast again.

I highly doubt it is an issue with your computer.

Nah i already applied the fix the day 4.1 came out since it went from fpsdrop to unplayable there. Trust me I have a shitty computer and I know it :> Disabling docs gives me a solid 15 more fps but I really feel lost without it as a healer not knowing where everyone in the raid is.

Most other nameplate addons gives all the friendlys big HP bars too which just makes the screen cluttered, docs does not behave like this and thats why it is the best nameplate addon i have found thus far. Anything similar would be so appreciated!

Nah i already applied the fix the day 4.1 came out since it went from fpsdrop to unplayable there. Trust me I have a shitty computer and I know it :> Disabling docs gives me a solid 15 more fps but I really feel lost without it as a healer not knowing where everyone in the raid is.

Most other nameplate addons gives all the friendlys big HP bars too which just makes the screen cluttered, docs does not behave like this and thats why it is the best nameplate addon i have found thus far. Anything similar would be so appreciated!
    If it is about the place-saving part (not displaying the healthbar) then you might try Infinity Plates. If it is just about a good and memory+performance
    saving nameplates you might try shNameplates.

Personally I stilll suspect that maybe the lost fps is due to a missing part in the stuff which needed to be replaced for the 4.1 adaption, or
    another addon not adapted to 4.1 which interferes. Did you try with only Docs enabled? Does the slowdown happen there too? As the
    problem description sounds really so typical of the 4.0->4.1 problem.