Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    After the first 3 seasons the anime went downhill imo, i stopped watching when they got to the "Bounts".

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the first arc, the one where they go to the Soul Society to rescue Rukia was pretty awesome. Really went downhill after that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellash View Post
    All Anime are cliché at some point.
    - Naruto started nice but went downhill in a lamefest.
    - One Piece is a chaotic fest, but overall good.
    - Bleach started awful but went uphill in an awesomefest. All characters are rich and detailed unlike in most other series where secondary characters are just cannon fodder.
    Generalize much?

Show me when FMA (Brotherhood), Berserk, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze or countless others got "clichê"...
    Most shonen anime are clichê to a point, sure. But there is MUCH more to anime than just shonen...
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Deleted
    All anime is cliché, I mean, everything is drawn. Damn those pencils and their filthy spread!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Generalize much?

Show me when FMA (Brotherhood), Berserk, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze or countless others got "clichê"...
    Most shonen anime are clichê to a point, sure. But there is MUCH more to anime than just shonen...
    Berserk (personal opinion and SPOILERS of course) has degenerated into a cliched snorefest these days. It started powefully, but these days it's just same thing every episode: the hero journeys with a party of varied side characters, he runs off into battle, loses control to the armor, the little girl brings him in. Over and over again.

Cliches are good from time to time, it's what makes genres recognizable and gives mood. But when a series loses its individuality it starts to be paifully obvious that cliches alone can't carry it.

Hellash is generalizing but he's right - "at some point"... and heck, you agreed with him as well... I agree on his opinions about how the series developed. Naruto was great until timeskip, these days it's a drawn-out mess with characters lacking depth and motivation. One Piece has always been a mess, but it's too early to tell if the timeskip hurt it or not.

Bleach's art is superb for a shonen, and design was always the author's strong suite. The new arc is starting horribly slow, but I trust it'll find its feet again soon.

OT, Aizen was a strange case. Turned out he didn't need anyone and anything else than his god mode - that he didn't know he had until it's tested... yet still he threw all of his subordinates away seemingly for no reason. It remains to be seen if it served any purpose or was just a tad sloppy writing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PraLiNeN View Post
    After the first 3 seasons the anime went downhill imo, i stopped watching when they got to the "Bounts".
    "Bounts" were a filler, written and directed by who-knows-who. The general quality of Taito's writing is well above filler pulp.
    Last edited by mmocd2effbd770; 2011-06-06 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by earthwarden View Post
    Berserk (personal opinion and SPOILERS of course) has degenerated into a cliched snorefest these days. It started powefully, but these days it's just same thing every episode: the hero journeys with a party of varied side characters, he runs off into battle, loses control to the armor, the little girl brings him in. Over and over again.
    What Berserk are you talking about? Guts only ever had problems controlling himself around Apostles and the God Hand.

Anyone who says anime isn't cliche is in serious denial

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    What Berserk are you talking about? Guts only ever had problems controlling himself around Apostles and the God Hand.
    Well, I mean the manga - the anime will probably reach that point as well... Not sure where the anime's at, but (SPOILERS) after the inquisition arc, Berserk degenerated into a cliched "travel adventure show" with Guts lugging around a party of stumped-development characters, including a defenseless woman, two elves and up to four kids.

He's going bonkers in every fight and one of the kids reels him in. It feels like the series' genre itself was bait-and-switched, and one of the biggest pains is that all the characters are losing individuality in favor of one new kid. Disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I think he is referring to the manga not the anime version of berserk

Well, I mean the manga. Not sure where the anime's at, but (SPOILERS) after the inquisition arc, Berserk degenerated into a cliched "travel adventure show" with Guts lugging around a party of stumped-development characters, including a defenseless woman, two elves and up to four kids.

He's going bonkers in every fight and one of the kids reels him in. It feels like the series' genre itself was bait-and-switched, and one of the biggest pains is that all the characters are losing individuality in favor of one new kid. Disappointing.
    Anime only had 26~ episodes and was only the Band of the Hawk Arc. It ends with Femto Raping a support charact (little miss PMS, second in command of the Hawk). They never even go into detail about what it means to survive being sacrificed or what Guts was after once he started calling himself the Black Swordsman. So pretty much the Berserk [Anime] only gets cliche is Guts fighting.

from what i recall while reading from manga, aizens plan was to find out some1 who could chalenge him in power (acording to ichigo near aizens death, the hoguyoko or whatever is called that reflects the will of his owner, was making him weaker than he should be, because aizen wished so), most of the shinigamis could not compare to him except for the first captain, wich is why aizen actualy decided to suposably finish him off with his own sword. aizen also knew that gin was a traitor from the start but was curious on what his plan to finish off aizen was, so he let him try his luck.
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't he kill alot of peope when he created the ...whatchacall it?
    Also he was lonely, he just wanted one as strong as himself (think this was hinted somewhere in the manga/anime)

Oh and he killed Gin who wasn't really on Aizens side
    Quote Originally Posted by Manlypecs
    It's always safe to blame the healer, since healers aren't real people anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um.. he was kinda planning to kill all of Karakura Town. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by shiryo View Post
    Didn't he kill alot of peope when he created the ...whatchacall it?
    Also he was lonely, he just wanted one as strong as himself (think this was hinted somewhere in the manga/anime)

Oh and he killed Gin who wasn't really on Aizens side
    You mean the hougyoku? Urahara Kisuke made that.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I mean the manga - the anime will probably reach that point as well... Not sure where the anime's at, but (SPOILERS) after the inquisition arc, Berserk degenerated into a cliched "travel adventure show" with Guts lugging around a party of stumped-development characters, including a defenseless woman, two elves and up to four kids.
    Are you kidding me? Stumped character development? Sure, Serpico is pretty much the same character he was when we first met him and Caska is a retard now sadly, but Farnese did a COMPLETE 180, and had a lot of character development ever since - just recently she started dabbling with magic. She's had more character development in the relatively short time she's in the manga than most other maincharacters of fiction get over the whole story. Isidro also went from annoying kid that wasn't able to do anything to likeable rogue, Schierke changed a lot too from her secluded self when we first met her.

That's of course leaving out the whole Kushan war part, Griffith' rise to power, the merging of the realms, etc.

He's absolutely not going bonkers in every fight. He did so in 1-2 fights after he got the Berserk armor and Schierke had to real him in. Since that he has control over the armor himself, Schierke is just there as his guide most of the time. Also, the beast within him that sometimes comes up, that's honest to god character development right there.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Deleted
    Well... I don't want to get too much off-topic, but yes - the development atm seems to be frozen indeed. It seems like the characters have reached their "plateau" - they've had their time in the spotlight and now they're basically background. They throw in a magic attack from time to time and that's it. No motivation of their own, no agendas, almost no dialogue - such a change from their "old" selves. There's basically no looking forward to what they'll do - Farnese will make barriers, Serpico will slash with wind, Isidro will be a brat and Caska a retard. That's their roles in the manga now, all nice, cosy and... thoroughly unexciting. I really think removing them from the main plane would do the series good. And the newcomers from the recent arc? Another pair of kids.

The manga could as well be called "The misadventures of Schierke and Guts" for how much spotlight she's getting now, with her growing up and budding feelings and saving and stuff. The whole manga seems watered down, diluted. Guts' strength was in his unwaivering will and sense of purpose, now they do have some distant goal but mostly the gang is walking around and having wacky misadventures, waving their shiny magic items at baddies.

It's only my opinion, maybe people like it - more power to them. For me, the change in genre is a bit too much. It used to be a grim personal drama - similar to Vagabond or Blade of the Immortal. Now it's more akin to One Piece in its premise. Sure, I like One Piece - but it's a bait-and-switch as far as I'm concerned.

15+ Year Old Account
    Granted it may look like that, but that is more because the latest stuff gets released one chapter at a time with a few pages (that mostly span around 5-30 minutes of fiction time) in it. Of course there won't be huge character developments in a single chapter, and story arcs have to be told through a lengthy time.

The older stuff, which probably almost everyone read in the tanks or the darkhorse releases were already finished and not spoon fed to us on a bi-yearly basis, so stuff appeared to happen faster then. If you read through the chapters of the last ~2 years there's LOTS of stuff happening and changing.