Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Will it be possible to get epic gems later on when you can prospect the pyrite ore?

Im wondring if its happening something with the gems some patches later on because if you can prospect the pyrite ore im going to buy alot and save them for that moment when you can.

Thanks for the thoughts people!

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's the theory anyway, if not I'm ma laugh at all of my guildies who have about 3 guildbanks full of it

There's going to be a new ore introduced in the molten front. Your pyrite will be worthless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tordek View Post
    There's going to be a new ore introduced in the molten front. Your pyrite will be worthless.
    That's nice info, mind uh, confirming it in some way? I haven't seen anything about new ore reported yet here on MMOC.

Nice try troll, but you fail.

10+ Year Old Account
    This person here has no sources whatsoever, so kindly ignore this person

Deleted
    Too bad they go for 80g a stack on my server... How much do you guys buy them for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by karate99 View Post
    Too bad they go for 80g a stack on my server... How much do you guys buy them for?
    Holy shi that's like a steal right there, my servers like 200g per pop

Deleted

Smile

On my server they are 50 g each stack

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    This person here has no sources whatsoever, so kindly ignore this person
    He is presumably talking about http://www.wowhead.com/item=52184/black-iron-ore, which is an ore that was datamined. However, there is no indication of where it will come from or what it will do, and the ilvl is the same as elementium (lower than pyrite) so it really means little.

no one knows how or when we'll get epic gems. you can try to guess as much as you can, you will not get an answer at this moment.

Only thing keeping the price where it is, is people buying it and hoarding it, in turn shortening supply and keeping prices at 150g+

Smaller servers are probably the ones with the 50g stacks, I know on my server its reached 60g at least.

If Blizzard do decide to introduce a new ore, ore make Epic gems a raid drop somewhere - then Pyrite will flood the market like no tomorrow and be cheaper than elementium.

15+ Year Old Account
    Been snatching any stacks for 100g or less. I can't see them dropping in price anytime soon, with the rise in demand in 4.2 due to new craftables.

As far as epic gems are concerned, there will probably be four or five ways to get them: prospecting pyrite ore; transmuting gems and volatiles; creating a prism; buying with honour points; buying with justice points. They could potentially also be randomly added to the bag that tanks and healers get from heroics.

As of now, we simply don't know for sure when or how epic gems will come about. But stocking up on a little pyrite ore never hurt anyone - unless you are starved for gold.
    For the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Nekovivie View Post
    If Blizzard do decide to introduce a new ore, ore make Epic gems a raid drop somewhere - then Pyrite will flood the market like no tomorrow and be cheaper than elementium.
    Since Pzrite Ore prospects into better gems than Elementium and gives Volatile Earth too, it shouldn't really ever be cheaper than Elementium.

Why post yet another thread on a subject that has been posted multiple times before?

WE DON'T KNOW!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leobald View Post
    Since Pzrite Ore prospects into better gems than Elementium and gives Volatile Earth too, it shouldn't really ever be cheaper than Elementium.
    Yep, and if it does drop that low I'll happily buy it all up and turn a nice profit :P.

No evidence at all.
    The new ore is not any proof since the datamining has yet to find any of the gems.

You've got 2 possibilities:

1. The new epic gems will come from a yet-undiscovered ore and your pyrite is worthless.
    2. The new epic gems will come from pyrite.

If 1 is true, there's nothing you can do. If 2 is true, CONGRATULATIONS! You are now in a race to farm and stockpile THE SINGLE MOST heavily farmed and stockpiled commodity in the history of Azeroth. There are literally dozens of guild banks on each server full of pyrite. You think you're the only one smart enough to save up ore?

GUESS WHAT! You and everyone else is going to be trying to unload historically large supplies of gems. I predict I'll be able to chart the prices bottom out in real-time just by refreshing the AH. Say you have a maxed out guild bank with 6 tabs. Thats 588 stacks. Round it up for extra stacks in your inventory, and you have 600 stacks of pyrite. Even if you get (on average) 1 epic per stack, that still means you now have six hundred epic gems to unload. Assume an even split of colors, and you've got 100 of each color to unload. If your server has just thirty people who think like you (and on a high-pop I guarantee its more) thats three THOUSAND gems of each color hitting the auction house in a six-hour period, not counting the sudden increase in farming you're going to see as hundreds of small/casual stockpiles of gems pump thousands more into the market. Then the ore farming resumes.

I don't know if 'economic s#!tstorm' is a real term, but it will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is talk of this new ore from molten front: Black iron Ore....you can wowhead the item

However there is no confirmation if they will yeild epic gems whatsoever ...
    Judging by wotlk pyrites should yeild epic gems...then again you never know with blizzard.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You've got 2 possibilities:

1. The new epic gems will come from a yet-undiscovered ore and your pyrite is worthless.
    2. The new epic gems will come from pyrite.

If 1 is true, there's nothing you can do. If 2 is true, CONGRATULATIONS! You are now in a race to farm and stockpile THE SINGLE MOST heavily farmed and stockpiled commodity in the history of Azeroth. There are literally dozens of guild banks on each server full of pyrite. You think you're the only one smart enough to save up ore?

GUESS WHAT! You and everyone else is going to be trying to unload historically large supplies of gems. I predict I'll be able to chart the prices bottom out in real-time just by refreshing the AH. Say you have a maxed out guild bank with 6 tabs. Thats 588 stacks. Round it up for extra stacks in your inventory, and you have 600 stacks of pyrite. Even if you get (on average) 1 epic per stack, that still means you now have six hundred epic gems to unload. Assume an even split of colors, and you've got 100 of each color to unload. If your server has just thirty people who think like you (and on a high-pop I guarantee its more) thats three THOUSAND gems of each color hitting the auction house in a six-hour period, not counting the sudden increase in farming you're going to see as hundreds of small/casual stockpiles of gems pump thousands more into the market. Then the ore farming resumes.

I don't know if 'economic s#!tstorm' is a real term, but it will be.
    This made me laugh - very well put. I hadn't done that math before, but the 3,000 gems of each color within the first 6 hours seems very low to me, when examining that it would only take 30 people to do it. Heh.

---------- Post added 2011-06-09 at 03:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ramian View Post
    There is talk of this new ore from molten front: Black iron Ore....you can wowhead the item

However there is no confirmation if they will yeild epic gems whatsoever ...
    Judging by wotlk pyrites should yeild epic gems...then again you never know with blizzard.
    I don't think they will introduce a new ore - especially if it's ore from one small area or ever worse a raid only area. Blizz will want epic gems to be accessible to as many people as possible. So new ore, no. But the stockpiles of Pyrite will make epic gems ez-mode to obtain.