Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    This made me laugh - very well put. I hadn't done that math before, but the 3,000 gems of each color within the first 6 hours seems very low to me, when examining that it would only take 30 people to do it. Heh.
    That was my point, my scenario was a very conservative estimate, moreso than reason would dictate. Its going to be a bigger market bubble than CitiBank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tordek View Post
    You've got 2 possibilities:

1. The new epic gems will come from a yet-undiscovered ore and your pyrite is worthless.
    2. The new epic gems will come from pyrite.
    while I agree with the latter premise, I may be nitpicking...but I want to point out something for everyone who thinks like this(yes this is taking a bit out of context).
    There are many other ways that epic gems can come from than (any)ore.
    Blizz can go the route of Quel'danas, raid drops, a combination of the two(from a raid faction), or my favorite(not my idea), prospect-able from a stack of rare quality gems.
    It is very important to think of any way possible that blizz can release them, because right now many of those ideas are possibilities.
    Last edited by usiris; 2011-06-09 at 04:48 AM.

Yes, they might come from other ores, raid drops, or alchemy, but the primary source of epic gems is almost certainly going to be ore.

I think Blizz learned its' lesson in burning crusade and since then has decided to make gems less prohibitively accessible.

The black iron ore, or i think that's what it's called should drop it.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

If 2 is true, CONGRATULATIONS! You are now in a race to farm and stockpile THE SINGLE MOST heavily farmed and stockpiled commodity in the history of Azeroth.
    Or they introduce a new smelt, super ultra pyrium bar (Or just hardened pyrium, but i like mine more :<) And use that as a baseline for 4.3++ BS/Engineering recipes.
    Its not that because alot of people stockpile pyrite to prospect on 4.3 patchday that in turn complete nullifies the worth of your ore.
    If its the source then so be it.
    I wont prospect my stacks tho, i'll resell em the day for patch release just like i did with Wrath and get 10times my investment on 'last minute rush' buyers.
    Last edited by Mascotte; 2011-06-09 at 03:47 PM.

Yes, they might come from other ores, raid drops, or alchemy, but the primary source of epic gems is almost certainly going to be ore.

I think Blizz learned its' lesson in burning crusade and since then has decided to make gems less prohibitively accessible.

This is almost an impossibility to say, we have hardly any data to support it.

We could say "yea blizz learned its "lesson" about raids" and expect them to be from ore, but what isnt being said is that blizz is making raids more accessible. It doesnt seem that way from the previous patch though, but that is what blizz has said they are trying to do. What I mean by that, is if content is more accessible for a wider player base more player will get these gems.

More so, we only have two expansions to look at, where blizz had 2 very different approaches to the game in those times(with 2 different way of putting out epic gems). And now we are saying that based on the last x-pac that we will see gems from the rare ore?

From the looks of it, blizz has a very different mentality going into cata than the other 2 x-pacs as well(sup chaos orbs).

Let me also just point out from my standpoint no matter how blizz introduces them(or doesnt), it will wreak havoc on a good chunk of the economy.
    Last edited by usiris; 2011-06-09 at 07:50 PM.

Deleted
    Well several of my guildies and friends have been stockpiling Pyrite Ores lately, also saving up JC tokens in case new recipes should be available.

While I don't think it's a waste (specially since Pyrite Ores sell for 35g per stack on a server with 13k+ ppl), I do hope that Pyrite Ores will gain some sort of other value like Titanium Ores were needed to make Titansteel bars.

Thinking about it, I could be totally wrong here, since I don't have a BS. But as far as I know, you don't need Pyrite Ores to make True Gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post
    Well several of my guildies and friends have been stockpiling Pyrite Ores lately, also saving up JC tokens in case new recipes should be available.

While I don't think it's a waste (specially since Pyrite Ores sell for 35g per stack on a server with 13k+ ppl), I do hope that Pyrite Ores will gain some sort of other value like Titanium Ores were needed to make Titansteel bars.

Thinking about it, I could be totally wrong here, since I don't have a BS. But as far as I know, you don't need Pyrite Ores to make True Gold?
    You need 2 Pyrite ore to create 1 Pyrium bar.
    You need 3 Pyrium bars to create 1 Truegold.

The problem isnt that tho, its that they added Hardened Elementium to counter the Elementium dropping to insanely low prices on the 'normal ore' but the Pyrite ore isnt used that much.
    Even the 4.2 craftables focus on Truegold, Hardened Elementium and Chaos Orbs.
    Not Pyrium.
    So its not worth to prospect now but its not really usefull for anything else, so the supply exceeds the demand.
    And thus people stockpile it to prospect since its cheap

LoL. New ore located in the firelands: Olivine it will be EPIC and prospected for EPIC gems and shit!! Why stock up on Fool's Gold anyways >.>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    You need 2 Pyrite ore to create 1 Pyrium bar.
    You need 3 Pyrium bars to create 1 Truegold.

The problem isnt that tho, its that they added Hardened Elementium to counter the Elementium dropping to insanely low prices on the 'normal ore' but the Pyrite ore isnt used that much.
    Even the 4.2 craftables focus on Truegold, Hardened Elementium and Chaos Orbs.
    Not Pyrium.
    So its not worth to prospect now but its not really usefull for anything else, so the supply exceeds the demand.
    And thus people stockpile it to prospect since its cheap

Okay thank you for the clarification

But Pyrite Ores/bars are still used to make True Gold then. Maybe it would be worth it to buy the CD's and stack up some True Gold bars?

Also, Hardened Elementium Bars is something I'm gonna be selling. Although I'm rather busy farming those damn Pristine Hides and Chaos Orbs too:/

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the epic gems are gonna come from pyrite ores the gem market will be shit like it's now with rare gems ( a red gem costs 20-40g , such a useless profesion JC has become for me ) therefor everyone will have 1 billion ores in their bank and there will be 1 billion epic gems on the AH.So i'm really hoping the epic gems come from something else cause i actually want the old jc prof back.

Yes there is a new ore, but that is only datamined.
    No indication where that is from.
    The lack of gems to be discovered means that any epic gems will not be making an appearance in 4.2.

I'm not going to rehash the math that has already been done, but: epic gems (if they exist at all) are not going to come from Pyrite. Blizzard is not stupid when it comes to keeping server economies afloat, and prospecting epic gems from current ore would cause a crash of the gem markets rivaling that of the Lehman Brothers crash in 2008. You'll see epic gems selling for less than current uncommon gems if that happens.

Recruiting all casters
    9 hours/week

Thanks, Loonatek and Stev-o, for making the same self-evident point I made three days ago.

When epics were announced as coming from titanium in Wrath, they only had about 4 weeks of warning to stockpile the stuff. No way they'd give farmers EIGHT MONTHS to pile up gbank upon gbank of epic gem ore.

I know someone mentioned it, but it's likely some didn't understand what he meant. Please read the 2nd sentence of this link for a fun fact: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrite

The only fact that I know of this entire situation, is Blizz often has a subtle humor with some things.

Seriously though, there's a lot of speculation about this topic and things could go either way. Personally, I doubt that Pyrite will offer epic gems. Mainly because I think that Blizz won't make a blunder of this size with the Economy, but it's still a possibility that they would. Sure, there's the datamined info but nothing is official still.

Even if your calculations are correct you have to consider that EVERY red gem on EVERY raid toon / serious alt will need a new epic gem. The demand will be overwhelming, and stockpiles will not be able to meet it.

Personally I doubt that many people have that much ore stockpiled. Sure, some do....but I doubt that 30+ ppl have six tabs worth on each server. Maybe a dozen, tops, per server.

10+ Year Old Account

1. The new epic gems will come from a yet-undiscovered ore and your pyrite is worthless.
    2. The new epic gems will come from pyrite.

If 1 is true, there's nothing you can do. If 2 is true, CONGRATULATIONS! You are now in a race to farm and stockpile THE SINGLE MOST heavily farmed and stockpiled commodity in the history of Azeroth. There are literally dozens of guild banks on each server full of pyrite. You think you're the only one smart enough to save up ore?

GUESS WHAT! You and everyone else is going to be trying to unload historically large supplies of gems. I predict I'll be able to chart the prices bottom out in real-time just by refreshing the AH. Say you have a maxed out guild bank with 6 tabs. Thats 588 stacks. Round it up for extra stacks in your inventory, and you have 600 stacks of pyrite. Even if you get (on average) 1 epic per stack, that still means you now have six hundred epic gems to unload. Assume an even split of colors, and you've got 100 of each color to unload. If your server has just thirty people who think like you (and on a high-pop I guarantee its more) thats three THOUSAND gems of each color hitting the auction house in a six-hour period, not counting the sudden increase in farming you're going to see as hundreds of small/casual stockpiles of gems pump thousands more into the market. Then the ore farming resumes.

I don't know if 'economic s#!tstorm' is a real term, but it will be.
    600 stacks for 100g each is still just 60k, which is close to nothing. And I really doubt people would put all their stuff up at the same time. I never post more than 3 of each gem for example ^^

Deleted
    ah but are you gonna sit at your pc for hours on end posting 3 new gems constantly when yours have sold? and even though you might do that I can tell you now theres gonna be atleast 1 person on ever server that is going to dump ALL their gems on the AH and he will undercut everybody by a big amount as well (now you can buy all his gems, but sooner or later you will actually lose on this i think as the price will lower after a while around the range the 'ass' posted them for)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muran View Post
    ah but are you gonna sit at your pc for hours on end posting 3 new gems constantly when yours have sold? and even though you might do that I can tell you now theres gonna be atleast 1 person on ever server that is going to dump ALL their gems on the AH and he will undercut everybody by a big amount as well (now you can buy all his gems, but sooner or later you will actually lose on this i think as the price will lower after a while around the range the 'ass' posted them for)
    They have changed that gems will stack and they are giving us JC bags aswell. Add my second account on top of that and I'll be sitting undercutting with 1c every time all day long while I'm raiding/doing hcs/dailies on my main account.

If you posted 20 of each gem you'd just get undercut anyway and lose a lot in deposits.

Which goes back to my assertion that its going to be nonstop pulling, undercutting, and relisting the day epic gems go live. You may only post 3 at a time, but you'll still do it 15 times an hour without selling much.