Page 1 of 2
LastLast

is blessing of protection too risky on the tank?

if i want to save a tank desperately should i consider BoP ?

Deleted
    If you're using vent, you can yell at him so he can remove it when hes not in danger anymore. If he doesnt remove it, the boss/mobbs will go berserk and hit the next person on the threat table.

It's usually a bad idea except for some very specific situations (Halfus to remove the mortal strike debuff). because if your tank doesn't react fast enough the boss will just rape someone else.

It can be safe if you have an offtank, rogue with evasion up and at 2nd threat, or a hunter with deterrence and distracting shot.

The problem with BoPing a tank to save him is that it often comes without warning, and the loss of threat can cause positioning issues, and you risk losing a dps. If there is NO other way to save the tank, it can be done, especially if the tank is on the ball and is ready to clear the buff on himself when he has received a heal.

This is not something you ever want to do without good communication.

I do NOT recommend this in any PuG content (5, 10, or 25m), but it can be a viable "save" in a guild group who is prepared to deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if the alternative is a dead tank, why not?
    "The truth, my goal."

Deleted
    We use nop on the tank as mentioned above, on halfus.

Just have the tank make a bop macro to remove it, call out the bop, he clicks, job done

Deleted
    Just make sure your tank has a macro to remove it, it can be hard to right click on the buffs. And also, yell it on vent!

/stopcasting
    /cancleaura Blessing of Protection

You really need very good communication. For example you can immediately dispell it (you with HoF or him with a macro) in Halfus example. But you can also chain taunt with vigilance, 2 dk/pala taunts to keep the boss nuking you while BoPed. Of course, unless if melee is second on aggro list or ranged is at the boss, as the boss may move back and forth for a few yards.

Mostly it isn't needed. If a tank dies, he either failed, didn't use his cooldowns properly or the healing is bad. If I were you, I wouldn't risk casting it, unless agreed to for certain mechanics.

Yea, the tank has to know that it's coming. Have him ready to click it off/macro it off when he's safe. You don't just BoP him out of nowhere with no notice, though.

bop isnt a loss in threat to the tank but unless they taunt the boss will go to the next on the list, usually if you need to bop the tank for any reason its followed by blessing of freedom straight after to remove bop without the need for the tank to use a remove aura macro.

unless its a specific fight then bop shouldnt be used on the tank unless really needed.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

BoPing tanks on some fights in current content seems completely broken. For instance, I have BoPed our Feral Druid Main Tank on Al'Akir (the way his primary threat works is quite strange) and the boss has remained fixated on the tank without peeling off...so it's essentially a free 100% immunity to the bosses melee swing during that crazy phase 1 damage (OP!!!). I haven't tried that with other bosses but I agree that it'd be better to BoP and have him try to recover rather than wipe.

Just communicate with your tank and have him set up a macro (/cancelaura Hand of Protection) that he can hit as soon as he needs to, though using HoFreedom works as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by karate99 View Post
    Just make sure your tank has a macro to remove it, it can be hard to right click on the buffs. And also, yell it on vent!

/stopcasting
    /cancleaura Blessing of Protection
    the actual macro line should be:

/cancelaura Hand of Protection

/stopcasting would be useless, blessing was changed to hand, and you spell cancel like this and not like this Cancle.

The only time I could see BoP being a better choice than LoH is on halfus for the mortal strike stacks. It only stops physical dmg, so it wont do crap on magic dmg encounters, and if dps are on the tanks target then good luck getting and maintaining aggro after that, since its a 100% aggro wipe.

It takes HEAVY coordination, and I would only do it if all members are comfortable with each other and know how thier playstyle is.

Dont ever do this in a pug, or without telling the tank before the pull what you plan on doing.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    In TBC it was actually common to do such tricks. All of the tanks in my guild were obliged to have an /cancelaura macro removing the BoP effect. The /cast Blessing of Protection macro had a yell, including an raid warning and a whisper to reduce the risk of the tank letting it stay to long.

But as a note I have to say that Blessing of Protection was counted as an blessing, and therefore could be overwrited by a blessing. Usually casting BoP and then casting an corresponding blessing to remove the BoP effect. This is not possible anymore.
    Last edited by Pancha; 2011-06-06 at 03:24 PM.

can u Hand of Protection on them......

then Hand of Freedom to remove the HoP?

or would it just refuse the HoF?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendball View Post
    can u Hand of Protection on them......

then Hand of Freedom to remove the HoP?

or would it just refuse the HoF?
    It would override the HoProtection.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsurugi View Post
    It would override the HoProtection.
    soooooo, if you desperately need to:

HoProt to save them
    Heal the tank hard , prob one dps dies
    then HoFreedom to release them
    hopefully they are smart enuff to taunt before any more deaths occur
    Last edited by reverendball; 2011-06-06 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    And if dps are on the tanks target then good luck getting and maintaining aggro after that, since its a 100% aggro wipe.
    It is not an aggro wipe. All it does is stop the boss from attacking the tank and he will just ignore him until HoP runs out (unless the tank taunts the boss)

---------- Post added 2011-06-06 at 03:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
    But as a note I have to say that Blessing of Protection was counted as an blessing, and therefore could be overwrited by a blessing. Usually casting BoP and then casting an corresponding blessing to remove the BoP effect. This is not possible anymore.
    It's overwritten by any other hand spell... (hand of sacrifice, hand of freedom)

---------- Post added 2011-06-06 at 03:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by reverendball View Post
    soooooo, if you desperately need to:

HoProt to save them
    Heal the tank hard , prob one dps dies
    then HoFreedom to release them
    By the time you'd do that the tank might as well just click it off himself...

Blessing of protection and then blessing of freedom to remove it. Not sure if anyone above suggested it. But its a easy thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild sets up a BoP rotation on Halfus to clear stacks of the debuff he puts on tanks. That's really the only time, I think, that we've ever used BoP on a tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazia View Post
    Your mom is so fat shes the reason blizzard made a limit on mage food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    If words bother you that much perhaps you should try being amish so you can avoid them.