Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Found Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit DVD. Don't these things also happen to have Ultimate on the same disk? :U

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Found Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit DVD. Don't these things also happen to have Ultimate on the same disk? :U
    no.

and here's a serious question:
    do you know the difference between home premium and ultimate?
    if not there is no reason for you to have ultimate :P

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    no.

and here's a serious question:
    do you know the difference between home premium and ultimate?
    if not there is no reason for you to have ultimate :P
    If you get ultimate for free from your work thats all the reason you need

I got Windows 7 Ultimate after Microsoft discovered I was using a "non-legitimate copy" and, in turn, gave me the option to buy W7 really really cheap. :B

Anyway, I just seemed to recall some oddball thing where the files for everything are there, but there's a 'controller' or whatever to call it separating things. :U Sorry if that was not-very-true.

Deleted
    I got Windows 7 Ultimate after Microsoft discovered I was using a "non-legitimate copy" and, in turn, gave me the option to buy W7 really really cheap. :B

Anyway, I just seemed to recall some oddball thing where the files for everything are there, but there's a 'controller' or whatever to call it separating things. :U Sorry if that was not-very-true.
    the microsoft strategy is modular when it comes to their OSes. the more you pay the more modules you get, kinda the same setup they have with windows server (start out blank install modules as you go to suit your needs and only your needs).

that being said as a home user that plays games, watches movies and surfs the internet in any form, you never really need more than windows 7 home premium edition.

*edit*

for clarity, here is what you would miss out on if you were using home premium instead of ultimate:
    http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/win72.PNG
    Last edited by mmoc63f6c1cc20; 2011-06-13 at 09:35 PM. Reason: clarity.

Well, see, my dad already has and uses the Home Premium key. That's a bit of a pinch. As for the Ultimate key I have it available on email. :U

---------- Post added 2011-06-13 at 09:36 PM ----------

Hmm... Is it possible for me to add a new partition to the disk to install Home Premium on? >>

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/863/hddstatus.png/

this is mine, my HDD really sucks ass. Its a Seagate 320GB 7200 rpm

Deleted
    Hmm... Is it possible for me to add a new partition to the disk to install Home Premium on? >>
    yes. however I do not see the point.

*edit*

in theory, you can have any number of OSes installed on your computer as long as they're all given their own partition

The point would be to simply copy-paste the iastor.sys from Home Premium over to Ultimate and try booting again. >>
    Alas, it was apparently already partitioned using a system that forced me to clear everything.

Deleted
    The point would be to simply copy-paste the iastor.sys from Home Premium over to Ultimate and try booting again. >>
    Alas, it was apparently already partitioned using a system that forced me to clear everything.
    I would assume that isastor.sys comes with a file tree, register registrations etc making the process a bit more complex than that.

that being said have you tried the actual troubleshooting for your problem, i.e http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...le-269197.html

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    the microsoft strategy is modular when it comes to their OSes. the more you pay the more modules you get, kinda the same setup they have with windows server (start out blank install modules as you go to suit your needs and only your needs).

that being said as a home user that plays games, watches movies and surfs the internet in any form, you never really need more than windows 7 home premium edition.

*edit*

for clarity, here is what you would miss out on if you were using home premium instead of ultimate:
    http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/win72.PNG
    Home Premium doesn't support remote desktop :S
    Lucky me for getting Professional for free via the Uni

Weird, my good drive (main drive) drops like that, and my crappy drive (lots of re-allocated sectors... i just use it to store stuff which i don't touch) is pretty steady. Both SATA2s.

(Clicky!)
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Windows 7 on a USB or Flash Card = Win
    This is why I advice people against getting ODDs for their computers.
    I have one OEM x64 Win7 Home Premium, and I have two full-versioned x64 Win7s (ie, all versions. Even Win7-starter).

Doesn't matter much, since I only have two Win7 Home Premium keys, and they're not transferable across versions.

So found my copy. My brother had picked it up from the table when he was swiping up what was left after we'd put together this machine. Derp. Should'a remembered before.

Now I've made up my choice to dedicate an "emergency partition" of 50gb, so I know I can install a temporary system when/if needed. :U

15+ Year Old Account
    Hum...I think you would have more of a problem if your hdd was alive...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Hum...I think you would have more of a problem if your hdd was alive...
    Sorry, what?

Sorry, what?
    It would need to feed itself, and since your brain is closest to it (it feeds on data, you know :P) you need to watch out.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    It would need to feed itself, and since your brain is closest to it (it feeds on data, you know :P) you need to watch out.
    OMG ZOMBIE COMPUTER IS OUT TO GET --

braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Mmmmm brains, such a tasty snack