Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Culling of Stratholme music!

So the other day I found myself listening (again) to the magnificent piece made for the Caverns of Times: Culling of Stratholme. I love it so much I could listen to it for hours; it is that good to my ears. The feeling of quickness, probable doom, sorrow in killing your own people while being pressed hard by the undead, are feelings that converge in this great piece of music. I always shed a few tears listening to this. There's so much raw emotion. I can picture Arthas killing his own people out of necessity, for the greater good, shedding tears and sobbing but biting it back as his men look up to him for an example; if he faltered, they would falter too and Mal'Ganis would be victorious...

But enough of that. There are some lyrics in it, probably italian or modified latin that I cannot understand, which have intrigued me for so long and could never make them out. Here's the link to the piece; the part in which these lyrics appear are from 2:15 to 3:45. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eghspESM7v8

So far, this is what I could get. I practically invented these words. Try to read them as you would italian or spanish:

UuuuUuuuUuuuuu uuuuuu uu u uuuuuuuuuuuu (lol)
    Anda fu ne doooo oooo ooo
    Echi fu ne sdoooo oooo
    Ede tifusta daaa liiii
    Espertovisse dooooooo
    Anda fu ne dooooo
    Echi fu ne sdoooo ooooo
    Ede tifusta daaa liiii
    Espertovisse doooo

They probably mean something, as some of these words are clearly repeated. Does anyone have the lyrics handy, or can make them out?

---------- Post added 2011-06-07 at 07:32 PM ----------

No one? Halp! I need them badly :P
    Last edited by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr; 2011-06-07 at 10:31 PM.
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.

I am glad I am not the only one loves this song! it is by far my favorite in the game! I also have been trying to find these lyrics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye, I absolutely adore this music. I hope it's used elswhere in the future, as long as it's in a somewhat related area / situation / story.

Some random tidbit words I recognise translate into 'she was one, she was not'. Maybe the song is Arthas's emotions that Jaina didn't stand by him when he had to do this? That moment at the gates of Stratholme was the moment they parted ways forever, after all.
    Last edited by Chonar; 2012-07-05 at 11:59 AM.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I haven't actually heard this as I tend to have game music off Thanks though!

I've heard that song to death during WotLK, still a ground soundtrack trough. I liked how they used some WC3 music in Old Hillsbrad aswell

Maybe we can get the words our self togethe b/c I would like to have them lyrics myself.
    what I can hear out of it is the word 'funestus' which means 'corruptive' or 'to be in mourning'

Maybe the word 'expertus = experience' and 'vicem = because / than' and 'tu = you' are in there
    Last edited by Puki; 2013-01-30 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozarib View Post
    I haven't actually heard this as I tend to have game music off Thanks though!
    I can only advise to play with music once in a while, or you risk to miss out on some amazing tracks. Wrath of the Lich King had a lot of epic music going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds latin to me....but too hard to figure out the words, last time I had latin in school was 6 years ago ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nivena View Post
    Sounds latin to me....but too hard to figure out the words, last time I had latin in school was 6 years ago ;-)
    I think of latin too here.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is easily my favorite music in wow, I first heard it during a Maraudon purple run way back in vanilla. It's just the first 45 seconds that I love, its so epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr4vitas View Post
    This is easily my favorite music in wow, I first heard it during a Maraudon purple run way back in vanilla. It's just the first 45 seconds that I love, its so epic.
    The Thread is called "Culling of Stratholme music!", no offense but please make your own thread we are trying to figure out something here

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm. It's a pity that Blizzard hasn't released the lyrics or something... At this point, I'd say they are made up words that sounded like latin just to make it sound cool :P

Anyone else got any other ideas?
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.

Blizzard said (I don't have the quote, I'm sorry) that the human language is based on the sound of latin, but isn't latin. For instance, the song in the original Vanilla cinematic with the night elf and the dwarf and the bear? Yeah, it sounds like latin, but is just 'common'. There's possibly no direct translation for it other than whatever you'd like it to be

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greektoast View Post
    Blizzard said (I don't have the quote, I'm sorry) that the human language is based on the sound of latin, but isn't latin. For instance, the song in the original Vanilla cinematic with the night elf and the dwarf and the bear? Yeah, it sounds like latin, but is just 'common'. There's possibly no direct translation for it other than whatever you'd like it to be
    Well, for example, the music in "Arthas my son" and all its other variations that found their way into other Arthas-related tracks are a combination of both Latin and "common."

However, it's not unassumable that Blizzard usually sticks with nonsense "common" in their songs, like many modern day instrumental groups do. Saves them from having to think of matching lyrics to translate.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puki View Post
    Maybe we can get the words our self togethe b/c I would like to have them lyrics myself.
    what I can hear out of it is the word 'funestus' which means 'corruptive' or 'to be in mourning'

Maybe the word 'expertus = experience' and 'vicem = because / than' and 'tu = you' are in there
    Esperto vici tu
    Experience conquers/changes you.

Or, a little less literally: seeing/doing this changes you.

I can't make out much of the rest, but I can pick out the odd bits here and there,
    Last edited by Travio; 2013-04-11 at 06:59 AM.
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Travio View Post
    Esperto vici tu
    Experience conquers/changes you.

Or, a little less literally: seeing/doing this changes you.
    Good find. That's very applicable to the situation indeed.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Maybe it's just one of those sOngs with pseudo latin lyrics, sort of like Vangelis 'Conquest of Paradise'.

This music is so much more engaging than anything from Pandaria.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goremonger View Post
    This music is so much more engaging than anything from Pandaria.
    Agreed. For me, anything from Pandaria feels alien, so listening to this makes me feel like I'm going back to Warcraft's roots.

The ingame explanation may be that the language is common, but WoW has a history of using straight up latin in its music. Then again, they've also used what sounds like Latin but is made up - so who knows.