Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Safe to plug Fan in while running ?

Quick question : is it safe to plug my fan to the psu/motherboard while the pc is running ?

I never plug anything in while running. Even tiny volts can wreak havoc on PC equipment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will it work? Yeah. 100% safe? No
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Don't think so

no it wont be safe...

Sig courtesy of Pjammiez, Thank You

yes its 100% safe

I'm so confused as to what you are trying to ask here.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

Deleted
    Haha. Seriously? It will be like plugging in an appliance into the wall while it's turned on. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it might let you know that's probably not a good idea. Question is: Do you feel lucky?

I would still say no to plugging in anything while a computer is already on. I think if you plug or unplug something the computer will reboot.

Perfectly fine, just in case of using directly the wires and no plugs be sure to don't touch nothing you shouldn't.

Deleted
    Its pretty safe. Questions is why can't you turn off the computer to plug the fan in?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, take the safe side and just turn the computer off for 2 minutes, would it kill you to do so?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I was downloading something that didn't support pause/resume . yet didn't plug it in.
    just waited till it was over.
    Thanks for the answers by the way.

Completely safe to plug a fan while the computer is running.

What Synthaxx said is probably true. I'm sure you can connect molex fans with no problems but I'm not sure about a CPU fan for example.

i remember a friend plugging in a IDE HDD during one of our LANs about 7 years ago. He didn't plug anything else into a running system after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think its safe, but somethings telling me that turning it off is safer. ;D
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Amazing. You have nothing to do now that people who aren't you have cleared Ulduar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    PS: Pandas are awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I know the OP is already done with this but:

Yes, you can plug any hardware into a system while its running.
    No, it's not very safe. If you get particularly unlucky its very easy to get an electric shock.
    For clarification, You DO NEED to have taken sufficient precuations to prevent ESD, Shorts or blocks in mechanical components. (IE no fingers or wires between the fan blades)

Back in the IDE days, IDE components were not hot-swappable. Any attempt to plug in or unplug an IDE device (HDD or Optical drive for example) would typically result in a system shutdown. Not harm done, simply reboot.

We used to run competitions in my IRC days, to see who could swap out as much hardware as possible without rebooting. The Topic joke went somthing like this:
    Linux user swaps out his motherboard and CPU without rebooting. Windows user plugs in a USB and has to reboot to use the device.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-06-07 at 09:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Galaxy MV4478-87, Vontos cluster, Alpha Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Ok, I know the OP is already done with this but:

Back in the IDE days, IDE components were not hot-swappable. Any attempt to plug in or unplug an IDE device (HDD or Optical drive for example) would typically result in a system shutdown. Not harm done, simply reboot.
    I can say from my experience, nope. HDD could be swapped while system running (ofc not the where was OS installed). Just plug in, make refresh in drivers ta b and drive was working same went for CD mechanics.