Thread: Sound issues

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sound issues

I would like to use Flash Media Encoder 3.2 and in the options for which sound device I would like to use, it does not show my USB Headset.. However, it shows my USB Headset's microphone on there.

So I decided to try clicking "Stereo Mix" but that is not generating any sound.. I even set it as default in the sounds settings.. O then tried a program called Virtual Audio Cable.. There is no options for my speakers on my headset.. I am so confused.. Any help or ideas how I can get FME to pick up my USB Headset?
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2011-06-07 at 03:23 AM.

Can't read a thing on those images, they're getting resized. Also, your "speakers" are an output, not an input.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Can't read a thing on those images, they're getting resized. Also, your "speakers" are an output, not an input.
    Oh.. Okay..

Any reason why Stereo Mix is not working? I have checked to see if it is muted and I have set it as default.. But I don't see any sound coming from it.. Updated the pictures.. I have music playing, but Stereo Mix is not picking it up.. My mic is picking it up though, only because the way the headset is the mic is pretty close to the speaker.
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2011-06-07 at 03:15 AM.

That's for any sound the card is outputting, not your headset. Also, you shouldn't show the images in the post if they're that big, just leave the links.

EDIT: Basically sound isn't played on the computer as a whole and only output on the one device. If sound is not going to the device that has the "Stereo Mix" or "What you hear" input device, you won't get anything.
    Last edited by ispano; 2011-06-07 at 03:21 AM.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

That's for any sound the card is outputting, not your headset. Also, you shouldn't show the images in the post if they're that big, just leave the links.

EDIT: Basically sound isn't played on the computer as a whole and only output on the one device. If sound is not going to the device that has the "Stereo Mix" or "What you hear" input device, you won't get anything.
    Oh.. Sorry. lol

How does one get FME to pick up the sound from my headset? Other then blasting the sound and having my mic capture the sound, is there any other way?

You're missing the point, the software only works with sound inputs. If the headset drivers do not include an input that loops the current output back as an input, you cannot. You have to set your on board sound card as the default and use that.

EDIT: Also the reason Virtual Audio Cable doesn't work for you is it works like another sound card, you set it as default or set it as the device a particular program plays it's audio through, and it then loops it around as an input.

So there is no way I can record sound from my system with my USB headset? I even tried unplugging the USB headset and trying to have it work that way, but even then Stereo Mix is still not picking anything up..

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    So there is no way I can record sound from my system with my USB headset? I even tried unplugging the USB headset and trying to have it work that way, but even then Stereo Mix is still not picking anything up..
    I can only take a guess, that it will record whatever you're playing in your background.
    The actual "Input" feature is for mics, the output for your speakers.
    You should be looking for an option which says something along the lines of, record what I hear, if there's not one, it may do it as default.

I'll take a look at it myself and confirm.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

I'd like to have Flash Media Encoder pick up sounds from my PC, but since I guess Stereo Mix does not work with USB headsets, I don't know any other way for FME to pick up my sound..

Basically the "Stereo Mix" Input device can only "hear" what's played through the sound card, not the headset. Why? Because the headset is USB, and as such is it's OWN sound card. One card cannot hear what the other is playing. If you have audio going through your sound card, not your headset, the "Stereo Mix" input device "should" pick it up. However, you may have to update your drivers or try microsoft native drivers for the card, since microsoft has messed it up in Windows Vista/7. Even happens with creative cards with the function.

---------- Post added 2011-06-07 at 03:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    I'd like to have Flash Media Encoder pick up sounds from my PC, but since I guess Stereo Mix does not work with USB headsets, I don't know any other way for FME to pick up my sound..
    You are still missing the point. Stereo Mix is not something just available to your computer. It's part of your sound card's drivers, meant for THAT sound card. For it to work with the headset, the drivers for your headset need to support that function, most, if not all, do not.

I understand that a USB Headset is a different sound card... Is there anyway to use the USB Headset to send sound to the FME program?

Headsets are not microphones, they do not have the gain necessary to transceive sound.

oi. Your headset "sound card" has one output device, and one input device. Your onboard sound card, likely with your speakers attached, has 1 output device and likely 2-3 input devices, ignoring the digital ones of course. The input/output on the headset should be obvious. The sound card would likely have the speaker output, a mic input, sometimes a line input, and in your case, a "What you hear" input, called Stereo Mix for you. What that device does is allow you to take any audio played through THAT DEVICE, ie your onboard soundcard only, and use it as an input. Anything played through your headset CANNOT be heard by the onboard sound card, because the audio is sent to the headset's sound card, not the onboard sound card. So without some sort of "What you hear" device driver for the headset, which I know of NO USB headset which does that, NO you cannot. You have to use your onboard sound card as the default device, ie sound playing from your speakers, not your headset. And then you have to get the Stereo Mix device to work since it's hit or miss whether it works or not in Vista/7.

Just gave it a go, I did this:

(Tick Listen To Device)

Then i selected the stereo mix to record from, problem solved.

Edited post, showing everything that I can see.
    Last edited by Yohassakura; 2011-06-07 at 04:05 AM.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

oi. Your headset "sound card" has one output device, and one input device. Your onboard sound card, likely with your speakers attached, has 1 output device and likely 2-3 input devices, ignoring the digital ones of course. The input/output on the headset should be obvious. The sound card would likely have the speaker output, a mic input, sometimes a line input, and in your case, a "What you hear" input, called Stereo Mix for you. What that device does is allow you to take any audio played through THAT DEVICE, ie your onboard soundcard only, and use it as an input. Anything played through your headset CANNOT be heard by the onboard sound card, because the audio is sent to the headset's sound card, not the onboard sound card. So without some sort of "What you hear" device driver for the headset, which I know of NO USB headset which does that, NO you cannot. You have to use your onboard sound card as the default device, ie sound playing from your speakers, not your headset. And then you have to get the Stereo Mix device to work since it's hit or miss whether it works or not in Vista/7.
    So pretty much... Go out and buy speakers with the jacks at the end..

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post

(Tick Listen To Device)

You should read the thread. His onboard sound card has that feature, his headset, does not. I'm also trying to get him to understand why things aren't working, since he's thinking about it completely wrong. Once he can grasp it, we "might" be able to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post

(Tick Listen To Device)

Hmm, mine doesn't look like that. LOL

You should read the thread. His onboard sound card has that feature, his headset, does not.
    Yes, and you use the onboard sound card to listen to what the headset is listening to, when you give it a tick.

And that device doesn't always work right. If it does, great, if not you get to play with the drivers. I know right now, the "What you hear" on my X-Fi does not work whatsoever.

You should read the thread. His onboard sound card has that feature, his headset, does not. I'm also trying to get him to understand why things aren't working, since he's thinking about it completely wrong. Once he can grasp it, we "might" be able to make it work.
    I'm pretty sure I understand it.. The USB Headset is it's own sound card.... I understand it won't work with the onboard card... So there is a way to possibly make it work? Spit it out already. =D

And if anyone was wondering.. My onboard sound card is Realtek HD Audio..
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2011-06-07 at 04:06 AM.