Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

How can I show my guild Al'Akir isn't an RNG fight?

I'm a raider of a fairly casual 10 man raiding guild. 10/12 at the moment, with Nefarian and Al'Akir left. I really think we can get Al'Akir down, but every complains "stupid fight is all luck" "RNG fight is RNG", I'm not sure how to show them the fight isn't RNG.

What do you think? I'm not going to be leaving these guys, but I definitely want to help us improve, how can I show them it's NOT an RNG fight?

wheres the rng in that fight?
    p1. Either you avoid the tornado's etc or you dont.
    p2. easy version of p1
    p3. either your moving out of the lightning clouds or your not.

is there a particular phase giving you guys trouble?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorx View Post
    p2. easy version of p1

There is nothing rng about any of that.

The only thing RNG about this fight is where you get lightning clouds in p1.

Lightnings in phase 1:RNG chooses the person that will be hit,but it will always hit one guy(unless you dont spread properly which is the raid's fault not the RNG)
    Tornados:Avoidable tornadoes are avoidable
    Wind burst:Is on a set timer,watch your DBM and plan your moves ahead
    Stormlings and Feedback stacks:Are controllable,there is no RNG involved whatsoever
    Acid Rain:MOAR DOTS
    Lightning targeted person in phase 3:RNG chooses the person,and he has to not aoe the whole raid
    Clouds:There's more RNG in chess than in these clouds,just all stand on one level of height and it doesnt matter which one gets targeted by the cloud
    Awesome avatar by Resentful

Deleted
    "RNG fight is RNG" is the excuse shitty players use to cover their lack of skill. If they persistently repeat it then let them, it's a very convenient excuse that lets one pretend he's a bit less shitty than he really is.

tell them numbers arent involved and as such its not rng.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorx View Post
    p2. easy version of p1

Phase 1, we split the raid into 2 groups of 3, and one group of 4, spread out around Al'Akir, but not too far away from everyone. It must be lack of raid awareness (which is weird because we've downed cho'gall, which is said to be one of the more raid awareness intensive fights) because Squall line tears through most people.

We're pretty much struggling to get past Phase 1, to the point where people don't even want to attempt Al'Akir.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    "RNG fight is RNG" is the excuse shitty players use to cover their lack of skill. If they persistently repeat it then let them, it's a very convenient excuse that lets one pretend he's a bit less shitty than he really is.
    Wait til you do it on heroic and blame rng for the fact you died after getting an incoming tornado in melee, a wind burst shortly before lightning cloud on you already, and icepatch in the middle of the platform, and a second lightning patch on your group shortly after the wind blast ^_^

Like Holo said the only RNG in the fight relates to the lightning in phase 1 and clouds in phase 3. RNG happens in some fights but it's the raid's job to minimize the impact of any RNG. Blaming RNG is a popular way for players to blame the game for them making a mistake instead of learning from the mistake and doing better next time.

There is no such thing as RNG on Al'Akir. It's making the right calls in P1. The rule we had way back when we progressed on him was that it's better to jump off the ledge and be out of action for those seconds where you're floating around than being caught in the squall line (which leads to mass chaining of the pretty thunder). Always pay attention to where the squall line is and where the gap is. Be vocal about it on vent. Use words like "Middle, Melee, one from the outside, outside". Use your eyes and pay attention while dpsing hard to get out of phase one.

In phase two assign a good ranged class with some good burst (hunter/mage works really well in my opinion) to kill off the Stormlings. Kill the first one once the fourth has spawned. Get the ranged to dwindle the hp down to 50 k and have him wait until there's about 5 seconds left of the debuff on Al'Akir. Call out debuff when it's 10 seconds left (ventlag and so forth) to ensure that you kill it in time.
    PROTIP for P2. Rogues can cloak off the Acid Rain. Paladins can with bubble and Mages can iceblock. This helps conserving healer mana for P3.

For phase 3 make sure that you fly all the way to the top (you're hitting the ceiling). Make sure everyone is on the same plane and within healer range. Conductors move out to the side. Once the first cloud spawns move just a little bit down so you're straight under it. Repeat. Then move all the way to the "floor". Stay there until the cloud spawns. Move just a little bit up above that one. Once the next cloud spawns, move all the way up to the top again. Rinse repeat.

http://ocdcodemonkey.net/lunatic/dat...c47a9ce3db.jpg

It's really all about that. What I think your guild is a bit annoyed about is that they can't time the dodging of the squall line and not be punted off by Wind Burst. Just remember that it's better to jump off rather than being caught. If you follow these guidelines it's a very easy boss as it just gets progressively easier.
    Last edited by Nightwatcher; 2011-06-07 at 07:48 AM.

This sums up the entire fight

Make them look at the pretty pictures
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...l-Akir-Tactics!

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Phase 1, we split the raid into 2 groups of 3, and one group of 4, spread out around Al'Akir, but not too far away from everyone. It must be lack of raid awareness (which is weird because we've downed cho'gall, which is said to be one of the more raid awareness intensive fights) because Squall line tears through most people.

We're pretty much struggling to get past Phase 1, to the point where people don't even want to attempt Al'Akir.
    Try four groups if the damage is high. You will wipe a lot to phase 1, there's no avoiding that. Eventually when everyone gets adjusted to the fight and you can get phase 1's consistently without deaths you're close to a kill.

I dont think its RNG but sometimes its a little to close to it. When all P1 phases combine in one spot you will likly have someone die. We are currently telling the people if there is nothing else they can do, its better to jump of the plattform than to get in a tornado. So if windburst, frost patch, tornado overlap and you cant do something against it anymore, let the windburst kick you down.

You will most likely survive this, but with the tornado you may kill an entire group because of chain lightning

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    there is nothing RNG about the individual abilities, but once you bring all of those together into an encounter you CANNOT say there is no RNG in it.

Imagine you're melee and you have a squall line heading your way, gap in the middle. Now, you have a frost storm behind you and wind burst is being cast, you use windburst to get into the gap, which takes you down to say 70-80% health, but, the frost patches are right on the center, meaning you need to stand on it to get through the gap, but then, just as you get the knock back, you get the lightning field on you, giving you even more damage. Thats RNG, and this has happened at least 4 times to me each night so far on our heroic attempts, 45k wind burst, 7-8k per second ticks from lightning followed by 10k ticks from the frost patches. have to stand in the frost for around 3-5 seconds to get through the gap of the tornadoes, so thats a total of around 100k damage in one go, with the lightning field still dealling damage after the squall line has passed.

i hate this fight!

I don't know how your guild deals with this, or maybe your the Raid Leader. Something that made it easier for us to handle when we first did progression on him, was to have 1 person assigned to call out Wind Blast, and another to call "Squall line left, middle/back/front/" in plenty of time before it gets around to the group. Middle/front etc relating to the opening in the squall line. The only hard factor in P1 really is if you have the squall line very close to you, and you have wind blast incoming, this takes a little judgement on this part on whether you want to be moving in or out.

It is 100 times better to be thrown off the edge(or jump) than to be picked up by the squall line. If you really have no other choice, then jump off. Once P1 is over, it actually becomes a very easy fight after that.

Hope that helps some
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post

Split into 5 groups of 2 people to avoid lightning dmg, healers should have no problem in reaching you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich King
    "You speak of justice? Of cowardice? I will show you the justice of the grave... and the true meaning of fear."

The only RNG part about that fight is that depending on RNG it may be more difficult. But even with the most unlucky RNG you can still avoid dieing in 99% of circumstances with skill. Skill>RNG

Five groups of 2 for 10N is the easiest. P1 has a lot of "RNG", all of which is perfectly managable though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurai View Post
    Wait til you do it on heroic and blame rng for the fact you died after getting an incoming tornado in melee, a wind burst shortly before lightning cloud on you already, and icepatch in the middle of the platform, and a second lightning patch on your group shortly after the wind blast ^_^
    I'm quite sure he's talking about normal. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    I dont think its RNG but sometimes its a little to close to it. When all P1 phases combine in one spot you will likly have someone die. We are currently telling the people if there is nothing else they can do, its better to jump of the plattform than to get in a tornado. So if windburst, frost patch, tornado overlap and you cant do something against it anymore, let the windburst kick you down.

You will most likely survive this, but with the tornado you may kill an entire group because of chain lightning
    While this thinking is handy, if your thinking your guild is in a position to be doing heroic Al'akir this tier, don't let them get used to this kind of avoidance, we had quite an annoying time our first day with some people getting used to not jumping off the platform as it nearly always leads to a wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I'm quite sure he's talking about normal. :P
    He is, but your comment applies to RNG in particular