Thread: Tanking Stats

Tanking Stats

I just got back into WoW after quitting for 6 months, so what stat should be be Reforging to on my Gear, Gem'ing, and Enchanting? I tried Parry out but it's not working out too well... Also, as a Prot Paladin, it seems the only way I hold aggro is by out-dps'ing everyone else, or at least close to it, which I have been doing, but shouldn't threat be easier to obtain? I did 10k dps on a boss (Tolvir last boss) and still barely kept it.

But yeah as a Prot pally should I be stacking on a certain stat like Mastery or Dodge? If so, what should I reforge (get rid of) that I don't need, to replace for that stacked stat?

Stack mastery, get rid of hit and expertise, balance dodge and parry ratings. << for raids

Deleted
    righteous fury for the threat part

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I posted this at the beginning of cata on my guild website. Got most of the information from Elitist jerks. Everything seems to still be relevant.

Check this youtube video out also for rotation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L6AzMpVnos

Stat Priority's

Threat:

Expertise: cap 26
    Hit: 961-8%

From what I understand, as of right now, not taking into factor future gear. It is ok for a pallys to fall a little short on Expertise & hit. Right now, the threat from a pally tank is very high. Pretty much everything I have read and personal experience seems to agree with this understanding. If you feel like your threat is good, u can remove hit & expertise as you see fit. (most pally's are well below the caps)

Stats:

The main stats are:

Strength: No block value anymore. Main source of raw AP.
    Stamina: Health Pool. "AP bonus provided by Vengeance is regulated by max health, indirectly means more threat per hit points
    Agility: Basicly useless, no longer provides armor. Provide dodge rating at the same rate as before. (NEVER have agility)
    Dodge Rating: Dodge and Parry are basicly the same now. You should try and be 50-50 with them.
    Parry Rating: Parry will be gained from STR. Try to equal dodge and perry.
    Mastery: Block

Over the past few months I have done research into mastery and looked at many of the top pally tanks on all the servers. My understanding is that you want to basicly STACK mastery. You do not want to do that at the expense of other stat's, but it should be our main priority.

Stat priority for me after I am comfortable with Hit/ expertise.

Mastery > Stamina > Perry = Dodge ( Should be 50/50)

Why is mastery more important than stamina?
    1) You will not take as many large spikes in health. A portion of the incoming damage with be blocked.
    2) The more Mastery you have the more predictable you become to heal. Basicly, healers can use smaller heals to keep you alive and do not have to use an expensive larger heal. This is very important with how expensive the mana cost is for larger heals in the current expansion.

Self Healing/ Cooldowns

Word of Glory- Once you have threat. You should be using this as much as possible. Like mastery, It will help curve the incoming damage. As a tank, your job is to hold threat and stay alive. Dont be lazy.

Cooldowns

Use them as much as possible but know fights and correct times to use them as well.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by mookspal; 2011-06-07 at 06:19 PM.