Single and Dual Spell Interrupt

Looking through the 4.2 patch notes...

Spell Interrupts:
    When interrupted while casting a single-school spell such as Mind Flay or Frostbolt, players will now be able to cast dual-school spells such as Mind Spike (Frost and Shadow schools) or Frostfire Bolt (Frost and Fire schools). However, being interrupted while casting a dual-school spell will still interrupt all respective schools as intended.

What is their reason behind this? Apologies if this is a double post or old news.

10+ Year Old Account
    The original intent of those spells was so that spell lockouts wouldn't be so severe. By having lockouts completely shut down dual-school spells, it negated that intent. The lockout was likely due to balance concerns, but obviously the devs no longer believe those outweigh the benefits of removing that limitation.

So if I'm correct, when you're interrupted then silenced for a few seconds. Any dual-spell is still useable? Doesn't that just defeat the purpose of silencing?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    So if I'm correct, when you're interrupted then silenced for a few seconds. Any dual-spell is still useable? Doesn't that just defeat the purpose of silencing?
    Bare in mind there's a difference between an interrupt and direct silence though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The change doesn't affect silences at all, only interrupts. If you're silenced, you still can't cast dual-school spells.

15+ Year Old Account
    Silencing would prevent you from casting anything. An interrupt only interrupts that school, and since most spellcasters are able to choose another school anyway, making it dual-school makes sense. However, it would make even more sense if the school that was locked out didn't add to the effect - so in essence, a dual-school spell would do maybe half the damage, more or less, than it otherwise would.

And yeah, this is kindof old news. I remember it being in the ptr patch notes a couple of weeks ago.
    For the Alliance!