Poll: zelda rpg or no

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

do yall think zelda is a rpg

Me and my friend for years have done friendly arguments about Zelda. I say it is an action/adventure game and he says its an rpg and it seems to me that is only logic is because it has to deal with swords and sorcery. I use to work at his Video game store and we would ask zelda fans and it was about 50/50 i know its not a big deal but for funseys what do yall think.

Deleted
    In an RPG you can to some degree impact the direction of the story. Zelda is, to me, more of an adventure game with puzzles in it. Just because it is fantasy and has a reasonable story doesn't make it an rpg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    In an RPG you can to some degree impact the direction of the story. Zelda is, to me, more of an adventure game with puzzles in it. Just because it is fantasy and has a reasonable story doesn't make it an rpg.
    I couldn't agree more it's what iv been saying for years. If zelda took place in 1930's i don't think he would say it was an rpg.

Action / adventure / puzzle - Theres no experience, leveling, or choices that effect the story line.

Oh and as said before, fantasy =/= rpg or vice versa. Look at the fallout universe.
    Last edited by Kawakazi; 2011-06-08 at 11:18 AM.

The lack of some sort of character progression (experience) means that it is not an RPG. Zelda 2 is an exception.

15+ Year Old Account
    m8, its action adventure yh

The Legend of Zelda does have a lot of action RPG elements, but it is not a pure RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    kinda brings up medevil yall remember that game as well seems that if you would call zelda an rpg you would have to call that an rpg as well... or even spyro the dragon lewls???

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not an RPG as mentioned above.

Action/Adventure.

Its 100% a Role Playing Game, Zelda games always give you a option of items and weps to use, And people dont seem to know what a rpg game really is, Just cause it doesnt have stat points and leveling up doesnt mean it isnt a RPG.

---------- Post added 2011-06-08 at 07:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    kinda brings up medevil yall remember that game as well seems that if you would call zelda an rpg you would have to call that an rpg as well... or even spyro the dragon lewls???
    Spyro was never a rpg you never had dif weps or armor or an open world to run around in.
    I Just Herped All Over My Derp !

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't call it an RPG, really just because I don't feel like I'm "role playing" as Link. I feel like Link is just being his old Linky self and getting in to trouble.

Oh Link, you and your silly light arrows, what kind of mischief are you gonna get into next? Tune in next week for more wacky adventures!

10+ Year Old Account
    An action/adventure title would be a Super Mario Bros. game. Zelda is an RPG for one very specific reasons; you always have had the ability to name your hero. Link is just the default.

Many changes have bounced around on the Zelda series, but it is no less an rpg than many of the newer breed that Bioware has been shopping around for the last 7 years. The ability to put points into your character is not what defines an rpg guys. Please go do some research.

Zelda is an action adventure game. It has RPG elements for sure, but I'd not go so far as to call it an RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    In an RPG you can to some degree impact the direction of the story.
    To play devil's advocate here, by this definition, is a game like Final Fantasy VII an RPG? The game was pretty linear, but I don't think anybody disputes it is an RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurpin-Meh-Durp View Post
    Its 100% a Role Playing Game, Zelda games always give you a option of items and weps to use, And people dont seem to know what a rpg game really is, Just cause it doesnt have stat points and leveling up doesnt mean it isnt a RPG.[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2011-06-08 at 07:58 AM ----------

Spyro was never a rpg you never had dif weps or armor or an open world to run around in.

So grand theft auto is an rpg since you get upgraded weapons and a open world to run around in...

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    An action/adventure title would be a Super Mario Bros. game. Zelda is an RPG for one very specific reasons; you always have had the ability to name your hero. Link is just the default.

Many changes have bounced around on the Zelda series, but it is no less an rpg than many of the newer breed that Bioware has been shopping around for the last 7 years. The ability to put points into your character is not what defines an rpg guys. Please go do some research.
    Thank you people do not realize this.

---------- Post added 2011-06-08 at 08:08 AM ----------

So grand theft auto is an rpg since you get upgraded weapons and a open world to run around in...
    No you are whoever Rockstar decides to make you, you do not have the ability to name your char. Theres a few things that makes a RPG a RPG and Zelda has them all.
    Last edited by Hurpin-Meh-Durp; 2011-06-08 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    So the sole criteria that makes an RPG is the fact that you get to name your character? What about Super Mario RPG? I forget if you could rename the minor characters, but you definitely could not rename Mario, Toadstool, or Bowser. Is Mario RPG an RPG?

Actually yes, it is technically an RPG, You get a free world, you get to customize your character, you choose your characters 'faction' etc etc you live out your character, in some ways more then you do in WoW...

as far as Zelda is concerned, it could be considered an RPG simply because its possible to immerse yourself in the lor...
    what am I saying... I never considered Zelda an RPG, I suppose it could be considered an RPG or more specifically an Action RPG but other then that I'm not sure...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurpin-Meh-Durp View Post
    Thank you people do not realize this.

---------- Post added 2011-06-08 at 08:08 AM ----------

No you are whoever Rockstar decides to make you, you do not have the ability to name your char. Theres a few things that makes a RPG a RPG and Zelda has them all.
    Because you can name your character in zelda and you cant in gta its not an rpg... hum i still think it comes that to that link has a sword and shield that you think its a rpg.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2011-06-08 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Traumatic View Post
    So the sole criteria that makes an RPG is the fact that you get to name your character? What about Super Mario RPG? I forget if you could rename the minor characters, but you definitely could not rename Mario, Toadstool, or Bowser. Is Mario RPG an RPG?
    IMO no but we are talking about Zelda not mario stay on subject

---------- Post added 2011-06-08 at 08:13 AM ----------

Because you can name your character in link and you cant in gta its not an rpg... hum i still think it comes that to that zelda has a sword and shield that you think its a rpg.
    Not at all like i said theres a list to what makes a RPG a RPG. And i also find that Mass effect is a RPG its not just about swords.

Deleted
    Zelda was an RPG back in the days even on the N64, but not anymore how we viev RPGs today.
    Experience dident have to be in a game to be called RPG. You had a form of "experience" whit the hearths, Some hearths you had to grind to get more or less.
    If experience is the only link to make it RPG, then Sonic is a RPG becuse when you get 100 rings you get 1up, Or even Call of Duty becuse you have experience and level up.

Single player role-playing video games form a loosely defined genre of computer and console games with origins in role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, on which they base much of their terminology, settings and game mechanics. This translation changes the experience of the game, providing a visual representation of the world but emphasizing statistical character development over collaborative, interactive storytelling.