Poll: zelda rpg or no

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    You take on the role as Link, yes it is an rpg. An action, puzzle-based adventure rpg.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Hurpin-Meh-Durp View Post
    Its 100% a Role Playing Game, Zelda games always give you a option of items and weps to use, And people dont seem to know what a rpg game really is, Just cause it doesnt have stat points and leveling up doesnt mean it isnt a RPG.
    While all RPGs don't have a leveling system, for example you level heros in Starcraft 2, but I would hardly call that game an RPG, the skeleton of an RPG is a stat system. And different items means it is an RPG? I guess Battlefield, Modern Warefare, and Mario Kart have been RPGs this whole time.

EDIT: I know "role" is in the term "role playing game", but if taking on the role of a character was the only pre-requisite for being a role playing game, then literally every game would be an RPG. Sure there can be RPG elements, but that doesn't make a game an RPG, even as a sub-genre.
    Last edited by Kawakazi; 2011-06-08 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    You take on the role as Link, yes it is an rpg. An action, puzzle-based adventure rpg.
    Hmm when i play i never Take on the role of Link i always play Stabby thats odd. {if you dont get what im saying, You dont just play link you can name your char!}
    I Just Herped All Over My Derp !

IMO no but we are talking about Zelda not mario stay on subject[COLOR="red"]
    I wanted to make sure we were using the same definitions before this discussion went further. And now that I see that you consider Zelda an RPG but not Super Mario RPG, I can see there's basically no reason to continue the discussion.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dathraz View Post
    Zelda was an RPG back in the days even on the N64, but not anymore how we viev RPGs today.
    Experience dident have to be in a game to be called RPG. You had a form of "experience" whit the hearths, Some hearths you had to grind to get more or less.
    If experience is the only link to make it RPG, then Sonic is a RPG becuse when you get 100 rings you get 1up, Or even Call of Duty becuse you have experience and level up.
    But the original zelda had hearts but they were pretty much just life and that was it. It had an overhead view and you got very few upgrades hell i think you got more upgrades in TMNT's and instead of hearts you got pizza slices. Really if you think about it Zelda and TMNT1 was pretty much the same but different characters and time/worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawakazi View Post
    While all RPGs don't have a leveling system, for example you level heros in Starcraft 2, but I would hardly call that game an RPG, the skeleton of an RPG is a stat system. And different items means it is an RPG? I guess Battlefield, Modern Warefare, and Mario Kart have been RPGs this whole time.
    Not sure if you read me correctly lol, Just cause it doesnt have exp doesnt mean its a RPG.As in Exp doesnt mean its a Rpg game........ And yes multitude of items are on a list of makeing a rpg BUT as i said THERES MANY THINGS THAT MAKE A RPG A RPG. Read my stuff broham

Quote Originally Posted by Kawakazi View Post
    Action / adventure / puzzle - Theres no experience, leveling, or choices that effect the story line.

Oh and as said before, fantasy =/= rpg or vice versa. Look at the fallout universe.
    This is the one and only answer!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we shouldn't call it an RPG just because that's too broad of a term. If we say it's an RPG because you have a big open world and play as a character, we're gonna be close to calling everything an RPG. Then what will we call Final Fantasy or things like Pokemon or other RPGs? Super-Real-RPGs?

In a sense, you role play whoever you play as in whatever game you're in. I think we just need to separate by which game has stats, experience, some sort of grindy feature and what not. Especially if it's a turn taking game. Those are RPGs for sure.

But I'd still say Zelda isn't an RPG anyway though, it's more about solving puzzles than fighting and what not. If you think about it too, each fight is really just a puzzle. Once you figure out how to kill it, you win no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Traumatic View Post
    I wanted to make sure we were using the same definitions before this discussion went further. And now that I see that you consider Zelda an RPG but not Super Mario RPG, I can see there's basically no reason to continue the discussion.
    Well the only reason they put RPg on the game was because it was a open world SORTA and they were also trying to attract a crowd, Like they did when i first saw the game,,,,,, Mario a RPG??!?!?!?!?!?! WTF I MUST BUY THIS. All about marketing my friend.

Deleted
    Hmm when i play i never Take on the role of Link i always play Stabby thats odd. {if you dont get what im saying, You dont just play link you can name your char!}
    You can name him whatever you want, but it's still and always will be Link, just with a different name.

I consider an RPG a game whose gameplay elements has its origins in the old tabletop roleplaying games. So that means games with character stats, character jobs, and die rolls/RNG, etc.

Zelda has none of those, so by my definition it is not an RPG.

This is my definition and I don't expect everybody to agree with it, but I figured it was worth putting on the record.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is Zelda a RPG? The answer is a loud YES AND NO. Why? Walk with me, through the abyss known as gaming history...

If you take into consideration the time it was first released, it was VERY much a RPG. In fact, one of the defining RPG's of the era. Thus, Zelda is an RPG. Back then, the main criteria was upgrades(weaponry), and fighting that involved more than jumping on someone's head.

However, the gaming industry has evolved, and by today's standards, Zelda is a Puzzle/Action/Adventure game. Today, a game needs both expperience points(as mentioned above me somewhere), and the player should have a certain impact on the course of the game with his actions. So, no RPG by today's standards.

In short, "Is Zelda an RPG?" doesn't have a yes/no answer.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    You can name him whatever you want, but it's still and always will be Link, just with a different name.
    No not at all As said b4 Link is just a default name He is whoever i make him.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thinking about it the original zelda and the first TMNT on Nintendo was about the same it had an overhead veiw untill you got into the sewers. Instead of hearts you had pizza slices and you had weapon upgrades the only difference is you had set character names. But neither one of them had Exp or character levels to obtain or stats on weapons. Whats the difference in FF1 and the original Zelda... a whole lot, character exp, turn base, weapon upgrades and a whole lot of them, classes, class upgrades, towns that sold lots of items, spells, Hit points, magic points, and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Thinking about it the original zelda and the first TMNT on Nintendo was about the same it had an overhead veiw untill you got into the sewers. Instead of hearts you had pizza slices and you had weapon upgrades the only difference is you had set character names. But neither one of them had Exp or character levels to obtain or stats on weapons. Whats the difference in FF1 and the original Zelda... a whole lot, character exp, turn base, weapon upgrades and a whole lot of them, classes, class upgrades, towns that sold lots of items, spells, Hit points, magic points, and on and on.
    EXP doesnt make a RPG a RPG!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to get off that mindset man

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the only reason they put RPg on the game was because it was a open world SORTA and they were also trying to attract a crowd, Like they did when i first saw the game,,,,,, Mario a RPG??!?!?!?!?!?! WTF I MUST BUY THIS. All about marketing my friend.
    You have to be kidding me. SMRPG is a prime example of true turn-based SNES RPGS! It has experience, weapon/armor-upgrades, magic... the only thing it doesn't have that most SNES RPGS had is a cool-looking picture of the character's head on the status screen! o.O
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    EXP doesnt make a RPG a RPG!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to get off that mindset man
    but you're saying the only thing that makes an RPG an RPG is the ability to name the character. Couldn't I just call Mario, the Great Gonzales and say it's an RPG?

I'm just arguing because I really wanted to say "Great Gonzales"

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    You have to be kidding me. SMRPG is a prime example of true turn-based SNES RPGS! It has experience, weapon/armor-upgrades, magic... the only thing it doesn't have that most SNES RPGS had is a cool-looking picture of the character's head on the status screen! o.O
    Not going to say the Exp thing again..... And it didnt have all the core elements a rpg should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Xacez View Post
    The lack of some sort of character progression (experience) means that it is not an RPG. Zelda 2 is an exception.
    Link "levels up" in ocarina of time by growing older with the trinity force..

There are hints of RPG in it tbh. There is character progression. You work your way towards new weapons and a horse. You get rupees to buy rewards that will assist you in your playthrough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    but you're saying the only thing that makes an RPG an RPG is the ability to name the character. Couldn't I just call Mario, the Great Gonzales and say it's an RPG?

I'm just arguing because I really wanted to say "Great Gonzales"
    Please go back and read all of my posts.!!!!!!!!!