Thread: Final Fantasy

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    There are a lot of "final fantasy"s which i would not consider "final fantasy". not becuase of the quality or whatever, but because they just didnt have anything to do with final fantasy... such as tactics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_F...actics_Advance
    I'd have to disagree with FFT having nothing to do with FF... if anything it has more to do with the original FFs than some of the newer ones do. It uses a more advanced version of the job/class system that was basically defined in FF1 and FF3 (japanese), as well as being used in FFXI, and FFIX uses characters who also clearly represent those classes.

(other FFs also have these classes though not as clearly defined)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of "final fantasy"s which i would not consider "final fantasy". not becuase of the quality or whatever, but because they just didnt have anything to do with final fantasy... such as tactics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_F...actics_Advance
    But but it has Cloud in it!
    I love you forever and ever and then some times two

Quote Originally Posted by Delia View Post
    I'd have to disagree with FFT having nothing to do with FF... if anything it has more to do with the original FFs than some of the newer ones do. It uses a more advanced version of the job/class system that was basically defined in FF1 and FF3 (japanese), as well as being used in FFXI, and FFIX uses characters who also clearly represent those classes.

(other FFs also have these classes though not as clearly defined)
    okay, never played a 1,3,11 or 9 ^^

Im just being a little bit random now, but i just happened to accidentaly find my old FFX CD again. nostalgia hit me hard, i might even consider to buy a new PS2 just to play this awsome game again.

however, I've played X-2 but never really finished it, skipped XII and i lost interest in XIII half-way through because I didnt like the gameplay.... to be honest, they didnt feel like "final fantasy" to me, even tho the story was epic as ever.

Do you think square enix will go back to its roots and develop a new final fantasy that can match up with VII or X? With "back to its roots" i mean either a time based combat style like VII or a round based one like X and not seriously stupid X-Button spamming like XIII. And, most important, will they give up on quest-like story progression like in XIII or X-2? Maybe its just me, because people somehow love XIII and some even consider it the best FF ever made (we all know it isnt)... but i just want my linear progression back, I want my bestias back, and i want some ultra hardcorde dude-boss where you have to train months to be able to beat him... /wave @ richter

your thoughts?

edit: i just saw that i accidentaly opened this thread in the general off topic and not in the video game section -.- /move please :P

You might be interested in trying out games by Mistwalker studios which was started by some of the founders of Squaresoft after they decided it wasn't going the way they wanted-- primarily the guy who started the Final Fantasy games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistwalker

Their games generally receive positive reviews but sometimes are panned for not being very innovative, instead relying on more tried and true gameplay mechanics.

Also, for people who loved the Suikoden games, I absolutely agree. If you want to go find those *cough*emulator*cough* they are worth the time. Suikoden 3 is actually really good too. 5 is supposed to be, but I haven't played it. 4 is hard to love. Bad mechanics, story is very generic. You spend most of the time sailing on a boat hitting random encounters which makes the scenery look the same for basically the entire first half of the game until you get Viki and can teleport places.

Also, I actually enjoyed FFXII. Once I got all the characters and could forever religate Vaan to the back row. He should never have been in the game anyways. The gambit system is alright, not the greatest ever but it made the battles fluid in the gameplay which I think is actually an improvement. The advancement system with the licenses was utter trash though. The story was pretty alright, the hunting sidequests were a great addition that provided lots of additional gameplay if you wanted to put in the effort.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2011-06-08 at 08:53 PM.

My fiance found a backwards compatible PS3 at work (which normally go on ebay for upwards of 600 dollars), for 200 dollars. Needless to say, he bought it, and played all Final Fantasy for PS1, and above. Then went on a nostalgia rampage, plugged up his older systems, and played the older ones. Outside of 'hey babe, I love ya!' when he got home. I don't think we talked that entire week :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Meh. I played Final Fantasy 6-9, including Tactics (that was the shit right there, most awesome combat ever), took a look at parts 10 and 13... frankly, it sucked. Underneath all that exquisite flashy design, a simplistic combat system that didn't really evolve much since the days of FF7 (and yeah, utterly brainless automatic combat in FF13), and same old generic Japanese story where a pack of ridiculously dressed punk children, armed with determination (which, as we know, is more powerful than any weapon in the universe) save the world.

Maybe I just grew up, but... after about half an hour of playing FF13 I just grew sick of all the ridiculousness. Convicts dressed in robes so exquisite, they looked like some high priests. A girl and and a black dude with an afro (used as a nest by a small chocobo) defeat a huge robot by autoattacking it several times. A band of rebels dressed like total freaks complete with a stupid clumsy blue-haired kid (who miraculously and effortlessly survives in the middle of friggin' battlefield), a girl in kimono, and a punk with fire-shaped hair who stands like a gorilla, easily overpower armed proffessional guards. What. The. Fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would just like to see Square try and mix up the settings of the games with some new worlds. So far FF13 Versus seems to have a interesting setting but I would love to see Square come up with some totally unexpected settings for the next couple games.

Like for example a world based on the culture of India/Hinduism and all of the mythology involving that area of the world. Another I would like to see is a really more dark and gritty medieval setting. Something similar to FF4 but more dark, like maybe a setting based off the Black Plague when it swept through Europe. Or another that I would love would be a setting based off the United States during the Great Depression, a retro style setting similar to the Shadow Hearts series or Nostalgia on the DS.

Do you think square enix will go back to its roots and develop a new final fantasy that can match up with VII
    Gawd I hope not. *shudder* And those wouldn't be its roots. Kinda have to go back even further.

15+ Year Old Account
    FFX is my favorite FF and also happens to be my favorite game of all time. Wish I could play it again.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

the only good game since Square merged with Enix was FFX... everything has been downhill from there.

Squeenix needs to get back to its SquareSoft style Final Fantasy, and stop just throwing flashy animations, and pretty pictures at us at the expense of gameplay and/or storyline.
    Where do people keep getting this? X was not made after the merger.

well at E3 they said they are actually gonna release a ff13-2 like they did with X2, with the same exact combat and everything, i guess they dont real care what the fan's were saying about 13, and ff6 was the best ever ff, to me anyways.

---------- Post added 2011-06-08 at 08:22 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Haven;11807346]Meh. I played Final Fantasy 6-9, including Tactics (that was the shit right there, most awesome combat ever), took a look at parts 10 and 13... frankly, it sucked. Underneath all that exquisite flashy design, a simplistic combat system that didn't really evolve much since the days of FF7 (and yeah, utterly brainless automatic combat in FF13), and same old generic Japanese story where a pack of ridiculously dressed punk children, armed with determination (which, as we know, is more powerful than any weapon in the universe) save the world.

we grew up is what happened, i cant play a came where buncha 14 year olds out does trained soldiers lol, also all the main hero's are always some emo kid since ff7.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    we grew up is what happened, i cant play a came where buncha 14 year olds out does trained soldiers lol, also all the main hero's are always some emo kid since ff7.
    This always bugs me. Cloud wasn't emo, he was an emotional wreck acting as a storehouse for his idols memories. Of course he's going to be a bit fucked up.

Zidane was in no way emo.

Tidus wasn't emo, he was ripped out of his world and shoved into a situation he didn't know how to handle. You try doing that without getting depressed from time to time.

Squall is the only one that kinda acted emo, but even then, not really, he was just an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Where do people keep getting this? X was not made after the merger.
    It's called memory lapse? I knew X-2 was made by SE, made the assumption X was also, sorry my memory isn't a steel trap. Also, way to point out my error which like 3 people already said something about... Some people are so arrogant... All in all, that just further proves my point to say that Squeenix hasn't produced any single player games at all that I enjoyed... Next game they release I'm either renting or pirating, not burning another 70$ on a game that's budget was spent entirely on the graphics engine.
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-06-09 at 12:48 AM.

It's called memory lapse? I knew X-2 was made by SE, made the assumption X was also, sorry my memory isn't a steel trap. Also, way to point out my error which like 3 people already said something about... Some people are so arrogant... All in all, that just further proves my point to say that Squeenix hasn't produced any single player games at all that I enjoyed.
    Sorry if I came off as arrogant, but I've seen this same thing spouted by multiple people in literally every Final Fantasy thread I've ever seen on this site. It's a collective memory lapse I find mind boggling.

wish they would make ff6 with ps3 looks, would be so epic

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    FF1, American 2,american 3,9, and tactics(ps1) was about the only FF games that i like. You can probably scroll through my older post and see my dislike for FF7,8,10 and above. If they would bring it back to the Cecil and Cain days that would make me a happy goon but nope if they make a remake it will be 7. The fact that some of yall think 7 is back in the day makes me fell old .

Whoever recommended Mistwalker studios' games is right on the money. Both Blue Dragon (if you can get past the juvenile nature of the game) and Lost Odyssey probably represent the two best current generation RPG's that play similarly to the NES/SNES/PSOne classics. I can't really comment on the DS RPG's, as I frankly despise the handhelds without a means to plug into a TV, ala the GBAdvance and a GameCube.

I have trouble getting terribly into the old 8 and 16bit RPG's anymore. The characters swinging at the air, the general play style that the game length is dependent upon you not knowing where to go, etc. Chrono Trigger is an exception to the rule as frankly the spells and battle system actually involved dynamic aspects of your characters and the spells actually hitting the damned mobs.

Tactics was frankly amazing because, fancy that, it actually really did involve tactics. You did not do well or manage to have nice things if you tried to just brute force your way through it. The entire game was very well done, from the fairly deep and somewhat dark story to the very detailed battle system, aside from maybe some of the gayness of the deep dungeon and trying to get all the nifties, one time RNG ftl as they say.

7, 8, and 9 were all very enjoyable for different reasons. 7 is simply a milestone of the franchise. They managed to add layers of complexity to the game, make it look pretty, while maintaining the classic feel of what Final Fantasy had always been. Frankly this is the model for what they should be trying to emulate.

8's draw system and card game were either enjoyable or you flat hated it. It was also the first time they had basically a dark main character. Squall was by all accounts an asshole for a good portion of the game.

9 brought back the class system from one of the Japan only releases. I liked it since it really did bring back the concept of a dedicated healer etc. I also found Zidane hysterical. The monkey aspects and his character fit far too well and it was enjoyable to watch.

10 I can only go back and play if I have a codebreaker to avoid 200 lightning jumps. I will never do that shit again. I didn't particularly like 10 as much because there was no real "end game." It's just not very epic that the hardest mobs are things some old crazy guy breeds in some cave. Aside from those problems the rest of the game was well done and one of the more engaging stories of the series.

X-2 was crap. Spice Girls in Spira is probably the best terminology for it. It's beating a dead horse to say anything more about it.

11 sucked if you weren't Japanese because they had the game for an entire year before we did. It was a bad everquest after that.

12 was good if you did the sidequests, and only if you did the sidequests. Despite popular belief the zodiac spear was NOT the best weapon in the game, it just had the highest power. The combo chance on that thing blew. Missing it due to not having a guide was not the end of the world, and there WAS a VERY small chance to get it by exploring the mine... many many times. Anyway, the main problem with 12 was the way the magic system was setup. Only one spell could be going on at any given time. This GREATLY limited the overall niftyness of the game, and for some of the bosses that went gay immune on you was the primary method of delaying their onslaught. Overall not really worth playing.

13 has no replay value. The first 20 hours are completely linear, and there truly is ONE right way to do things as your party is finite, as is the amount of buffing you can do. That being said, the one play through was fairly enjoyable once I got used to using the combat system and exploiting the ATB "bug."

My 2c on the series thus far.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I am one of the biggest FF fanboys, played pretty much every single one of them except 13. My opinion, I think they should go back to the old school days of ATB. I beat almost all of the FFs(multiple times) except 12 and 13, 12 was just too damn easy and the battle system was beyond boring.. no challenge at all there. FFIV, VI, VII, VIII and X are at the top of the list but I love them all up to 12. I do not think 12 and 13 deserve roman numerals in my post! hahah

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    well at E3 they said they are actually gonna release a ff13-2 like they did with X2, with the same exact combat and everything, i guess they dont real care what the fan's were saying about 13, and ff6 was the best ever ff, to me anyways.
    If you live in the US go pick up the latest Game Informer. It talks about FF 13-2. It should shut you guys up till it launches. Then if you want to give an opinion on it after actually playing feel free =D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angyles View Post
    I still go back and play LoD. The FMVs in that game were amazing for that time.
    LoD was PSX as opposed to PS2 all PS3's are Backwards compatible with PSX

oh yeah and I liked XII and for the large part mostly cos the XII combat system reminded me a bit of vagrant story as did the music

I never liked the linearity of XIII or the fact you had incredibly expensive item requirements to max your weapons and accessories in a game that yeilded gill once every blue moon at the cost of a LOT of effort for a random chance. The paradigm system was fairly cool and although many of the bosses were repetitive they could hit bloody hard if you swapped to the wrong paradigm at a key moment.

and lastly WTF was witht he "transformer" eidelons? and seriously the party leader dies and it's Game over? GFTO

however.......... if they wanted to make the same game 17 times they'd call it Call of Duty :P
    Last edited by mmoc335f2888ba; 2011-06-09 at 06:42 PM.