Thread: haste confusion

haste confusion

hi

I'm currently at 9,22 % hast according to armory, however when i look at the tab in game the haste says 12,5% which i read was the cap for en extra tick...
    Which one is correct ??

Deleted
    you get 3% haste from nether presence, dont know if that shows up on the armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highangel View Post
    hi

I'm currently at 9,22 % hast according to armory, however when i look at the tab in game the haste says 12,5% which i read was the cap for en extra tick...
    Which one is correct ??
    The armoury doesnt add on your 3% from NP. Ingame it shows your haste + the 3% from NP

ahh yes, that could be it... guess the last 0,3% is something not updated in armory.

You can't just add 3% haste like that, 9,22 + 3% = 11,22 but thats if we just add 3% but im pritty sure its more like this
    9,22 + 3% = 11,22 + ( 0,2766). The 0,2766 is 3% of 9,22 that makes it up to 11,5% but im not sure if im right

Deleted
    Haste works additively in game, every % haste you recieve is added on.

Then you use the final added percentage to calculate your new cast times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zrow View Post
    You can't just add 3% haste like that, 9,22 + 3% = 11,22 but thats if we just add 3% but im pritty sure its more like this
    9,22 + 3% = 11,22 + ( 0,2766). The 0,2766 is 3% of 9,22 that makes it up to 11,5% but im not sure if im right
    It is 1.0922*1.03 = 12.4966%

I think you wanted to say that, you just made a little mistake with 9,22 + 3% = 11,22 instead of 12.22%

That just works for crit. I am pretty sure that NP is multiplied to the casting speed, would also make sense because of th 12.5% he has.
    Last edited by mmocd5b1a87d04; 2011-06-08 at 11:26 PM.

Deleted
    Yes 1.0922 * 1.03 = 1.124966 or 12.4966% haste just short of your 'magic' 12.5%, however you are 'forgetting' 2 things
    1) You dont want 12.5% haste, but as much as possible and atleast 15% for a total of 12 combustion ticks
    2) Raid buffed, assuming your raid runs a Boom/SPriest/Shammy you will be getting 5% raid haste in which case your 'magic' haste is 1.15 / 1.05 / 1.03 = 1.063338 or 6.3338% haste or 812 haste rating on your gear.

NOTE: going over 15% raid buffed does not make haste useless, I am at 12.56% self haste (1609 rating), yet simcrafting and rawr still indicate that haste is more benificial than Crit. Resulting in a raid haste of 21.7336%

yeah - as namliam said - haste absolutely keeps being desirable after the "magic" 1250 number.

The gap between haste and crit is reduced, of course, but haste is still on top by .03-.01 depending on the gear/sim.

Haste buffs your primary source of damage (fireball) and permits more casts of that nuke. As a result, favoring haste over crit will increase your reliable damage where crit only gives you a chance to cause more damage.

I look forward to having gear that supports chasing crit again, but it looks like, for this tier at least, haste is on top for Fire.
    Just another bad mage playing his class badly...
    Worst Mage EVAR!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zackkaufen View Post

Then you use the final added percentage to calculate your new cast times.
    No, haste is multiplicative, not additive. Things like hit are added, haste is multiplied.

And as a couple people mentioned, 12.5% is not a cap, its just a level where your dots gain an extra tick. Combustion gains another tick at 15% and again at 25%. You don't want to stop stacking haste as a Fire mage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness81 View Post
    No, haste is multiplicative, not additive. Things like hit are added, haste is multiplied.

And as a couple people mentioned, 12.5% is not a cap, its just a level where your dots gain an extra tick. Combustion gains another tick at 15% and again at 25%. You don't want to stop stacking haste as a Fire mage.
    Meh all my assumptions are wrong :<

Quote Originally Posted by zackkaufen View Post
    Meh all my assumptions are wrong :<
    Haste rating is additive. Haste from sources that are listed as percentages are multiplicative.

If something (like NP) gives 3% haste, it works the same way that heroism works. If it gives 500 haste rating, it adds to the stat.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Occar View Post
    Haste rating is additive. Haste from sources that are listed as percentages are multiplicative.

If something (like NP) gives 3% haste, it works the same way that heroism works. If it gives 500 haste rating, it adds to the stat.
    Not necessarily true. There is a difference between effects that reduce cast time and effects that increase your spell haste.

Quoted from Elitist Jerks:

Haste is is multiplicative. To solve for how much Haste Rating is needed from Gear to reach 12.5% Raid Buffed:
    1.03 (Netherwind Presence Talent) * 1.05 (Hybrid Haste Raid Buff) * 1.xx (Haste Required from Gear) = 1.125
    Gear = 1.040221914008322
    1% Haste = 128.057 Rating required
    4.0221914008322 x 128.057 = 515.06976 or 516 rating required
    And that, is how the cookie crumbles.
    Last edited by Sluimerstand; 2011-06-10 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Not necessarily true. There is a difference between effects that reduce cast time and effects that increase your spell haste.
    The key though is rating. If it is rating, it adds with all the other rating and that is converted to one of the haste values. The others are all multipied.

Quote Originally Posted by Zrow View Post

I despair for the math teachers in this country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conno View Post
    I despair for the math teachers in this country.
    Obviously it was just a slip of the pen, there is know reason to flame on that one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fennor Angrithon Virastar View Post
    Obviously it was just a slip of the pen, there is know reason to flame on that one.
    Oh come on now, the Math teachers have it hard enough, don't drag down the English teachers too.

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 04:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Occar View Post
    The key though is rating. If it is rating, it adds with all the other rating and that is converted to one of the haste values. The others are all multipied.
    Of course. I understand that, but for the sake of clarifying for the general public, there is a difference between effects that say "increase spell haste/increases casting speed" and "decreases cast time".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Oh come on now, the Math teachers have it hard enough, don't drag down the English teachers too.
    Hm..... yeah... funny mistake. First I was up to write: "I am sure he 'knows' that 9+3....". English is not my native language, so I honestly don´t know whether "to flame on sth." is correct. But the "know" thing was just the same kind of a silly mistake (like the 9+3 thing) that you shouldn´t pay too much attention to.

Edit: O my god, I really wrote "I honestly don´t no" first.
    Last edited by mmocd5b1a87d04; 2011-06-11 at 02:06 PM.