Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Sick of amazing graphic games having terrible gameplay.

    From personal experience I've noticed 99% of the time a game with amazing graphics, almost always ends up having really lame/boring gameplay, or just really bad gameplay, something that makes a purchase of the game feel like the biggest waste. But games that haven't focused on graphics, but focused moreso on actual gameplay which I've been addicted to and get entertainment out of them for insane amounts of time. There are honestly some games I could have paid $2000 for each and it still would have been worth it, they had disgusting graphics, but the gameplay just kept me going for ages.

    WoW maybe terrible compared to what it USE to be, but who cares? It's still an amazing game IMO, WoW is still a game worth playing over the majority of other games out there atm. Unless you're big into SC2/HoN/LoL or FPS games (like CS or Battlefield, TF2...etc) you don't have much else to choose from that will actually last you longer than a night or 2 of gameplay.

  2. #2
    yeah graphics have never made a game and i totally agree with you, wow has basic graphics but it depends on your gpu if you have a geforce 7600 u wil lstruggle to play wow if you have a mid range card like an 8800gt u can play wow really good i have one and hit 60fps 99% of the time and if your the eye candy guy buy a gtx 590 and sell ur car if u want one there expensive

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmew View Post
    yeah graphics have never made a game and i totally agree with you, wow has basic graphics but it depends on your gpu if you have a geforce 7600 u wil lstruggle to play wow if you have a mid range card like an 8800gt u can play wow really good i have one and hit 60fps 99% of the time and if your the eye candy guy buy a gtx 590 and sell ur car if u want one there expensive
    The World of Warcraft client is actually remarkably bad optimized for the basic graphics it features.

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Conscious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Boston, MA.
    Posts
    4,991
    Sick of amazing gameplay having outdated graphics.

  5. #5
    Herald of the Titans Porimlys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Bebop
    Posts
    2,745
    Crisis and Crisis 2 >_>

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    Crisis and Crisis 2 >_>
    Never herd of them

  7. #7
    Legendary! Digglett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    FC World
    Posts
    6,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    Sick of amazing gameplay having outdated graphics.
    Whats it matter if the game is fun?


  8. #8
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,243
    Gameplay>graphics 1000%

    Most of the games that I would give a 9 or 10 have had crappy graphics

  9. #9
    I don't mind medium - good graphics but bad graphics just really turn me off playing a game.

    It's all about the style and setting.

    Look at ME2 for example. I wouldn't call the visual great, but they get the job done. Same applies to Starcraft 2 for example and other "non-cutting-edge" games.

    But playing old games like Starcraft 1 or Baldurs Gate 2, especially after playing more modern games, is a little painful.

  10. #10
    Super Meat Boy, awful graphics (tho that's the whole point) but the gameplay is so much fun. That game is addicting as hell.

  11. #11
    Pandaren Monk Mechazod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dimension 324325
    Posts
    1,985
    I personally would love to see and play a very deep very long RPG type game that uses graphics similar to what the Atari 2600 could produce. Im not trying to be sarcastic or anything I generally would love to play a game like that.

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! M0cha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,210
    Crysis and Crysis 2 are two examples of perfectly executed games with beautiful graphics.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn2BG...el_video_title
    Ignore me narrating. x3
    I think, for me at least, graphics are vital to the game. When you walk into Elwynn FOREST, does it really feel like a Forest? How many trees are in a forest? How densely packed are they? I just don't get that feel from Elwynn. I think Stranglethorn is the same way. There isn't the tightly packed brush and exotic plants that make a rainforest.
    I think the best executed zone in World of Warcraft is Scholzar Basin, due to the fact that there's hanging vines, and a sense of environment in the zone.

  13. #13
    Although Crysis is indeed mostly eye-candy, I thoroughly enjoyed the combat and physics it had. It felt good blowing up entire houses or watchposts with a rocket rather than having to kill the dude in it. The hiding and shooting worked out pretty good as well, but I wasn't very fond of the aliens they went to. Still, that is a story fail from my perspective, the gameplay was good. Same with The Witcher, which has pretty awesome graphics and gameplay, same with STALKER and Metro 2033, stunning visual, baffling gameplay and immersion.

    It's not all bad, just learn to pick out the beauties

    I do fear for Max Payne 3. They can't possibly patch the first 2 with atmosphere and story, but I hope they try.

  14. #14
    Why can't we have both...

    When Wow first launched it was'nt super awesome graphics but still ok for the time, and the cartoonish look make's you not notice it so much....

    in 2011 though it's getting outdated pretty fast, still agree that gameplay > looks though, but sometimes the awesome visuals can add to the overall experience.

  15. #15
    It's simple really.
    Almost all MMOs that have come out after WoW have been a awful in comparison, so the problem is MMOs in general and not only MMOs with good graphics.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Obese View Post
    From personal experience I've noticed 99% of the time a game with amazing graphics, almost always ends up having really lame/boring gameplay, or just really bad gameplay, something that makes a purchase of the game feel like the biggest waste. But games that haven't focused on graphics, but focused moreso on actual gameplay which I've been addicted to and get entertainment out of them for insane amounts of time. There are honestly some games I could have paid $2000 for each and it still would have been worth it, they had disgusting graphics, but the gameplay just kept me going for ages.

    WoW maybe terrible compared to what it USE to be, but who cares? It's still an amazing game IMO, WoW is still a game worth playing over the majority of other games out there atm. Unless you're big into SC2/HoN/LoL or FPS games (like CS or Battlefield, TF2...etc) you don't have much else to choose from that will actually last you longer than a night or 2 of gameplay.
    Not to rain on your parade but your argument makes little to no sense, at this day and age the absolute newest games have cutting edge graphics, go look at the new final fantasy if you don't believe me, it damn near looks better than real life. So when every game in the world looks amazing, you're going to remember that, but the problem is that because of nostalgia you're gonna remember those games that were good, regardless of their graphics even though they're ridiculously outdated. Take for example halo 2, noone remembers that when it came out it was actually dam near one of the most visually advanced games out there, same with ff7, same with alot of other games much like them. There are only so many good games each year, so there are going to be 10000 more bad games, with graphics just as good or worse. Good games have great graphics too, the only ones that dont off the top of my head are WoW. And that is primarily becauuse it is a game that's going on what 7 years? Not sure how powerful blizzard systems are but they dam near need to rework the entire game and re release it to give it the graphic update it needs imo. Point is, very few games come out with horrible graphics and get known to be great games, sure you can look back at them in 10 years and still believe they are awesome, but it's because they were released at that time with good graphics (minus WoW to a point)

    ---------- Post added 2011-06-09 at 08:03 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganathar View Post
    It's simple really.
    Almost all MMOs that have come out after WoW have been a awful in comparison, so the problem is MMOs in general and not only MMOs with good graphics.
    The only reason they're "awful" is because they're being compared to a game that's had over half a decade of refinement, in a society, where in 3 months technology will change 10 times. WoW is so incredibly far ahead in terms of development, that if you stopped WoW right now where it is, gave another game 5+ years of development before launching it, they only MIGHT have a chance. It's like comparing todays race cars (WoW) in a race with race cars from 100 years ago (other MMOs). It's not even fair.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-06-09 at 08:06 AM.

  17. #17
    Warchief Velthy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    2,164
    The thing is. Everyones saying that game is not bout graphic, and i agree yes, i can play old games on SNES emulators just cos they are good. But, having a new PC i'd really enjoy playing Skyrim more than playing Morrowind. U'll always enjoy the good game more if its graphic is good.

    Signature made by my best friend Aryiana.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    The only reason they're "awful" is because they're being compared to a game that's had over half a decade of refinement, in a society, where in 3 months technology will change 10 times. WoW is so incredibly far ahead in terms of development, that if you stopped WoW right now where it is, gave another game 5+ years of development before launching it, they only MIGHT have a chance. It's like comparing todays race cars (WoW) in a race with race cars from 100 years ago (other MMOs). It's not even fair.
    Yep, that's right but people still don't give those games a chance to expand which is sad really.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganathar View Post
    Yep, that's right but people still don't give those games a chance to expand which is sad really.
    Pretty much. The way it works is that people leave WoW for game "x" realize that A. it's not exactly WoW so they *gasp* have to adapt to a new style of play, and have to occasionally leave the style of play that wow has become, aka the job style, and B. that it's not as polished/clean as WoW. So they leave, the playerbase of game "x" drops and that's what happens. If people gave these games even a year or two to get better they'd see an entirely different game but it will never happen. WoW literally has such an unbeatable hold on the market because it's literally light years ahead of every game in terms of polish, ease, and overall structure. No game will ever touch it because no one is going to be willing to stick it out in a game for a couple of years for it to even have a chance to catch up, because every MMO that is released is already behind WoW, both in playerbase, and actual gameplay/style/structure.

  20. #20
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    113
    I blame piracy.
    Why should people even bother to create a great game, when a lot peoples download it ilegal from the internet?
    Games was so better back in the days. (nes,snes,n64). We could even go to a videostore and rent a game for 5euroes(?) a day.
    I miss those videostores :/
    (my opinion)
    There are some exceptions tough. Sc2 was cool. And skyrim gonna be better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •