Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Anime] Is DragonballZ watchable these days?

I never watched DragonballZ, but i keep hearing great things about it from Naruto fans(which i am too). People seem to love it, and it seems to have a huge world of characters and relationships like Naruto, but i'm just wondering if you think its still watchable in today's standard of animes. I am looking for something else to get addicted to, but do you think DragonballZ is still watchable? I remember trying to watch Superfriends and it was awful, not like how i remembered it when i was a kid.

Dragonball is a classic - compared to it, wtf is naruto? Do watch Dragonball, if you can. Be it Dragonball, Z or GT. Perhaps not GT, since it's all fillers, but do watch the whole Z series.
    - wyrd bið ful aræd -

I know many that couldn't when they should because they didn't want when they could.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watch Dragonball Kai. They took DBZ, remastered it, and cut out all the filler. You'll love it!
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

DBZ is the only anime I've ever watched so I can't compare to other anime...

But i'll say it's still fun to watch nowdays. I only watched DBZ before school in the mornings like 15 years ago...I randomly felt like watching it again about 2 months ago. You'll want to watch either Dragonball Z Kai or Dragonball GT....the actual original show goes for way too long...with too much random crap in it.

im a naruto fan myself, but i have to say that dragonball z kicks the ever living shit out of naruto. its way more bad ass and ive never seen anything like it before. watch it and you wont regret it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obese View Post
    DBZ is the only anime I've ever watched so I can't compare to other anime...

But i'll say it's still fun to watch nowdays. I only watched DBZ before school in the mornings like 15 years ago...I randomly felt like watching it again about 2 months ago. You'll want to watch either Dragonball Z Kai or Dragonball GT....the actual original show goes for way too long...with too much random crap in it.
    Don't watch GT before Z, or don't watch it at all, because most people hated it.
    The original DBZ went something like 250 episodes.. DBKai is only about 90. Its finished airing in Japan, so you can find subs, but the english version is only about to episode 65, with one coming out each week or so.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

just recently ive had the itch to start watching it again i absolutely love dbz
    it was great when i was growing up as a kid and its still great now

imo go watch all of the episodes

Dragonball is older and has japanese humor that americans just won't get.

Dragonball Z is newer than Dragonball and has a lot more fighting. In my opinion it's the best series

Dragonball GT I think is a combo of the first two. It has stupid humor with a lot of fighting.

Dragonball Kai is basically Dragonball Z remastered for HD widescreen and they cut a lot of the stupid stuff out leaving more fighting. Only problem is they are still currently working on it and as of right now only have up to the middle of the android saga done. If you're a newbie, I suggest you look at this series first. You won't get the backstory at the beginning but after a couple episodes, you won't really need it.

if your gonna watch it at all you should just start from dragonball and watch all the way through GT

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the remastered versions music. The english version that I grew up with just sounded way more epic.

The Japanese soundtrack is just so cheesy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lechies View Post
    goosebumps everytime
    **Nostalgia alert**

Kai is a decent watch, like people said it cuts out a ton of the filler, so you won't have to watch someone power up for 30 episodes. Plus I kinda like the new soundtrack. While I'm not exactly GT's biggest fan, it might be worth watching it at least once, to see if you like it, since people have different tastes. And I hope you're including Dragon Ball in that, when you ask about watching it. I preferred that and early Z over the later stuff (that's not to say I didn't like the later stuff in the series, though).

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    I hate the remastered versions music. The english version that I grew up with just sounded way more epic.

Preference is preference is preference is preference is preference is nostalgia.

Edit 2: I r gud grammartician.
    Last edited by BatteredRose; 2011-06-09 at 02:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The newer(at the time) stuff? Haha, no. Kai though is a nice attempt at making DBZ less full of ...derp and some of the retouched animation makes my inner artist smile.

But anything after that tends to suck big time.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2011-06-09 at 02:56 AM.

Kai is dumb...in my opinion at least.

I sort of liked the filler. I'm a sucker for any good lore whether that be doing howling fjiord in wow just to see the iron dwarves in quests for about an hour or see 30 episodes of goku training in the hyperbole time chamber

Is there anywhere to watch the original dbz online for free or at a decent price?

DBZ although it's never my first recommendation to people interested in anime. It's possibly one of the greatest action shows ever created.

*Oh yeah I'd suggest you stay away from kai too. It's a cheap version and doesn't feel the same as the original in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post

I kind of like the new music. The full choir scores during the power ups were perfect.

If your gonna watch then watch the original DBZ first. Kai REALLY toned down the violence and sometimes you'll ask yourself "How the hell did that hole get there?". Not necesarrily a bad thing but it kinda takes out a bit of the epicness of some fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Note that DBKai leaves out the last saga of DBZ - the Buu Saga - because DBZ was originally intended to end at the end of the Cell Saga. Which explains why so many people hate the Buu saga and GT

---------- Post added 2011-06-09 at 12:05 AM ----------

But I guess if you're a Naruto fan, and made it through all of the Naruto filler, you can probably stomach DBZ. The old series does add a little bit of epicness to everything. DBKai is the only way most people can re-watch the series though

DO NOT WATCH Dragonball Kai.... the new VOICES are wack..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Note that DBKai leaves out the last saga of DBZ - the Buu Saga - because DBZ was originally intended to end at the end of the Cell Saga. Which explains why so many people hate the Buu saga and GT
    The Buu sage ruined my favorite character.

GT ruined him more.

q_q gohan