Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

soul swap macro help plz

this is my macro:

/cast soul swap
    /cast [atfocus] soul swap

half the time i was trying to use it it would act like the mob was los or somehting and just wouldnt exhale, i ran all over trying to get the exhale. did i do something wrong

That would just cast at your main target each time...

You'd want to do something like this:

/castsequence reset=15 Soul Swap, [@focus] Soul Swap

Except I don't think you can put conditionals in a castsequence. You might just have to make two separate keybinds, one with [@focus] and one without.

Couple of things wrong. "at" should be "@", and there's probably a GCD preventing you from casting both abilities and you'll need a cast-sequence. Would suggest something like
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod,@focus][] Soul Swap
    Will Soul Swap on your target if you aren't holding a mod key (Ctrl, Shift or Alt), otherwise will Soul Swap on your focus. It's up to you to get them in the right order (although it'll likely fail if you get it wrong since the focus might not have any dots and you can't exhale onto the same target).
    Last edited by Renowned; 2011-06-09 at 05:26 AM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    i realize i need the at(still wont let me post it grrr) symbol but the website kept saying i was trying to link a video. i just test it out and basically have to hit it twice really fast, i guess basically withing the gcd which isnt hard now that i know that

Quote Originally Posted by brutabus View Post
    i realize i need the at(still wont let me post it grrr) symbol but the website kept saying i was trying to link a video.
    Fair enough, my apologies then. Thinking a bit more, you might be able to do a nicer target swap, lemme think...
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast Soul Swap
    /target focus
    /targetlasttarget
    /focus
    /targetlasttarget
    Or something like that. The idea being that you have your dots on the main-target and your focus on the off-target, you press it once and it casts SS on the main-target (your current target), focuses the main-target (your current target) and targets the off-target (your previous focus). You press it again and it casts SS on the off-target (your current target), focuses the off-target (your current target) and targets the main-target (your previous focus).

Spam it twice fast just as you do now (only twice though, although any even number probably works), but no need for a modifier. Lemme know if it doesn't work.

#showtooltip Soul Swap
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /focus [@mouseover]
    /cast [@target] soul swap
    /cast [@focus] soul swap
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 1
    /clearfocus [@focus,dead]

works great, if you need me to explain how it works let me kow

i'd like to know how that one works please. currently, i'm using a soul swap onto my focus. tbh, i think with the soul swap change which is incoming, it would be outstandingly useful to have a list of mouseover/focus/last target macros, as we're going to have to multidot manually.

ty

15+ Year Old Account
    First of all remove your spellbook version of soul swap.

Normal, focus & mouseover

#showtooltip soul swap
    /cast soul swap

(use normal macro first then exhale with focus macro onto focus, lol)
    #showtooltip soul swap
    /cast [target=focus] soul swap

#showtooltip soul swap
    /cast [target=mouseover] soul swap

thanks. would the basic commands (or whatever they're called) work for the rest of out spells too? if we're not going to be soul swapping, i'd say we'll be using BoD on one, and BoA on the secondary target, and so having a modifier for a one button that can cast both would be super too

I find it's better to keep soulswap @target and @focus macros separate on own keybinding because you can spam this key while you are still casting SB on your target without risk of soulswapping from the wrong target (as it could happen with macro that does them both) and you don't lose your latency between the cast (as in case with /castsequence)

From the other side - SoulSwap glyph is getting hard nerf in less than 2 weeks. The nerf makes SoulSwap virtually useless in PvE. May be you should just setup your interface for proper multidotting (timers/auras/macros and keybindings) so that you don't need to relearn it in two weeks?
    Multidotting will require more micro management, but proper use of multidotting will actually increase your DPS when compared to SoulSwap on CD as it is used now...

thanks

do you use macros for cot casting onto focus/mouseover etc? and would you be kind enoug to share them. i've not ben a affli lock, i was a demo lock for a long time, and only recently swapped. and i'm prepared to learn what needs learning to perform dotting without relying on SS. also, which timers do people use for multiple targets plz?

I think that for two targets fights, power aura is superior for tracking your dots on your target and focus. And this setup will be really useful for any multitarget fights when you can set focus on one of the targets (plus the fact that focus auras aren't shown when you don't have focus)

In power aura you'll probably need:
    - 2 auras for BoD on your main target - first aura shows when you are missing BoD on your target and second is when BoD has less than x-seconds to expire (you can choose yourself how many seconds you prefer on BoD, I'm keeping 3 seconds until expire on it similarly to other dots).
    - 2 auras for UA on your main target and 2 auras for UA on your Focus. First aura is shown when UA is missing from the target, second aura is shown when UA exists, but will expire in 3 seconds.
    - 1 aura for Corruption on your target (when missing - it will be autorefreshed by Haunt) and 2 auras for Corruption on your Focus (one for missing and one for expire in 3 seconds);
    - 1 aura for BoA on focus (only when BoA is missing since you don't want to override the last tick of BoA)
    - probably 3 auras for SE stacks on your main target (looks like an single aura that changes color depending on amount of stacks and disappears when you have 3 stacks on main target). You can also do similar for focus target, but I prefer not to do that in order to not obscure view (you want to keep stacks of SE on focus, but you should be prepared that there will be situation when they fall from the focus, while you must try to have then 100% on main target)

Main idea with these auras is that when you have two targets fully dotted and 3xSE on main target - you don't have any of these auras on screen. When some of the dots are starting to fall out and this is refresheable dot - you will get a smaller aura that warns you that you may want to recast correspondent dot on target or focus. When your dots are missing from your target of focus - you get a bit bigger auras that you will need to react on asap. Also, make Focus auras smaller in size and more transparent - sometimes you'll need to ignore some of them from time to time due to range issues or similar.

You would use separate macros for casting on [@focus][] as well as separate keybindings for that. You'll need corruption, BoA and UA with [@focus][] macros in addition to your main target corr, BoD and UA. I'm also using [@focus][] Shadow Bolt (helps keeping stacks of SE on focus, with instant SBs and may be with a few hard casts of SB at focus once in a while).

For V&T type fight
    - set your focus on T before the start, cast SB,Haunt, CoE, all dots on V and cast one SB on T (haunt comes off CD);
    - cast haunt on V, dot T, cast one more SB on T, prob move and shadowflame V;
    - keep DoTs on V & T refreshing them in time;
    - keep SE stacks on V and try to keep them on T (if you can);
    - When T lands, Focus V and target T; and continue. you will have range issues on V from time to time (and don't forget to re-DoT when you get Engulfing magic - 100% dps boost for your dots).
    - When V lands, Focus T and target V; and continue. You should not have range issues on T during V on the ground phase..

Reason why you can get higher DPS this way than with SS on CD now is that you use BoD on target (harder ticking), not cutting out BoA hard ticks on focus and can have higher UA uptime on your focus than with SS.

That's about it - lots of keys to press and you'll be feeling like you are playing piano during multitarget fights but hey - that's the fun, isn't it?
    Last edited by Norzaki; 2011-06-09 at 11:35 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infernity View Post
    thanks. would the basic commands (or whatever they're called) work for the rest of out spells too? if we're not going to be soul swapping, i'd say we'll be using BoD on one, and BoA on the secondary target, and so having a modifier for a one button that can cast both would be super too
    the command works yes, you should make macros like these:

#showtooltip corruption / unstable affliction / bane of agony / shadow bolt
    /cast [target=focus] corruption / unstable affliction / bane of agony / shadow bolt

just using soul swap isnt enough if you want max dps on doubletargeting cus youll end up clipping dots by simply soulswapping.

BTW: the main reason to not put BoD on focus on V&T fight is that ebon imps that spawns from it will not be able to attack dragon that is flying (they only do melee attacks).

jesus, thanks for the reply that's a great amount of information, thanks again.

i think i'll have to start spending my non-raid nights getting used to this asap. for now, i'll have to give up committing genocide in Wetlands for a Tiny Crimson Whelpling

Deleted
    will be trying some of these out as I attempt to master affliction. the macro i've been using seems tempermental :P

Quote Originally Posted by brutabus View Post
    this is my macro:

/cast soul swap
    /cast [atfocus] soul swap

half the time i was trying to use it it would act like the mob was los or somehting and just wouldnt exhale, i ran all over trying to get the exhale. did i do something wrong
    Like mentioned, remove soul swap from your bars completely first.

Simple focus modifier macro is all you need:

#showtooltip Soul Swap
    /cast [modifier:ctrl, target=focus] Soul Swap
    /cast Soul Swap

You will not lose your current target this way, works every time.
    Top 100.