Thread: Gaming Mice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Most modern mice are like shoes, you have to find one that fits your grip style and your hand size.

I also disagree that DPI doesn't matter. Older low DPI mouse requires high sensitivity in FPS games to react to things behind you. This also introduces skipping and makes sniping at long ranges nearly impossible. High DPI allows you to lower the sensitivity in game and get the same maneuverability, but also accuracy with sniping. On the fly DPI adjustability helps as well. Never seen any autocorrection, it's only varying sensativity between the X and Y axis in my experiences. Position of the sensor can have some effect on that too.

In a game like WoW, DPI doesn't matter. I have the same issues with buttons on mice, and the G9x I use is the only mouse currently on the market that is shaped the way I like (I don't rest my palm on the mouse, and I move it with my fingertips, not my whole arm), and I can access all the buttons on the mouse.

Naga I can do neither, plus I'm not a fan of razer on many levels...
    You may think that, but you're wrong. Best aim players in the world are mostly 800 dpi or less... frequently 400. Also if you're into FPS I wouldn't ever get a wireless mouse. They add latency that cannot be avoided.
    Last edited by graagh; 2011-06-10 at 01:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by graagh View Post
    You may think that, but you're wrong. Best aim players in the world are mostly 800 dpi or less... frequently 400. Also if you're into FPS I wouldn't ever get a wireless mouse. They add latency that cannot be avoided.

Sorry, wrong about what exactly?
    Also unless you're playing it a competitive level, in which every nanosecond is said to help, the latency issue is over... You're more likely to be bottlenecked due to a busy CPU core. I actually overall prefer wireless mice, becuase no matter how long the cord is on a wired one, it's just never quite enough to save me having to move things an extra few inches.

Quote Originally Posted by graagh View Post
    I've been playing semi-competitively since quake days, and I can tell you that you're dead wrong. The best players in the world usually use the gear they're used to, that's the only reason they run old mice. Hell, back in the day it was better to run ball mice instead of optical for FPS games. Also of note many top players are from countries that have limited access to high end products (i.e. korea, etc) I enjoy players that run mice like that though, I turn a full 180 and kill them

Wireless mice are stupid anyway. I play at a desk, the wire never gets in my way because I have it properly routed, it adds lag, and more importantly weight to the mouse. I'd run one for a media center PC attached to a bigscreen TV, but the range is rarely good enough for that function...

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Also unless you're playing it a competitive level, in which every nanosecond is said to help, the latency issue is over... You're more likely to be bottlenecked due to a busy CPU core. I actually overall prefer wireless mice, becuase no matter how long the cord is on a wired one, it's just never quite enough to save me having to move things an extra few inches.
    Wireless mice have noticable lag in FPS games, sorry but it's true. When you're trying to snipe someone that's on the run it makes a big difference.
    Last edited by Poodles; 2011-06-10 at 08:47 AM.

Deleted
    I use an MX518, and I love it. The only problem I have with it is that one of the thumb buttons is a bit far back. But it might be just perfect for you Well... that or my thumb is extremely long

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdfing View Post
    I use an MX518, and I love it. The only problem I have with it is that one of the thumb buttons is a bit far back. But it might be just perfect for you Well... that or my thumb is extremely long
    Hmm, thanks will have to give it a try.

Higher DPI being necessary. It's only necessary for high sensitivity players playing high resolution and even then if you had a high sensitivity with a 2560x1600 display, only then you'd need 2500 DPI. But that's quite a high sensitivity (bad for FPS pretty much... people can debate this but it's basically true, of course it's somewhat relative). It basically depends on how many pixels come across the screen because in game you're measuring by pixels, and not inches (it's much less precise). Basically DPI lets you go really high sensitivity. But realistically it's too high to be practical. If you FPS a lot and your sensitivity is reasonable there's a strong chance you don't need more than 400dpi, and in some cases 800. Which most mice can handle.

It's nice to have high DPI as an option if you wanna be able to run absurd resolutions with high sensitivity, but most folks don't play at resolutions that high or even with that high sensitivity.

http://www.esreality.com/?a=longpost&id=1265679&page=2

Here's a really long article (21 pages) on the subject. It should answer every question you ever had. There's a thread also kicking around somewhere that has the failure rates, negative accel rates and all kinds of other useful information (including the type of sensor used in various mice).

I'll see if I can find the thread.
    Last edited by graagh; 2011-06-11 at 06:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And this was just me trying to find a mouse with some side buttons I can actually reach with my thumb.... lol

And this was just me trying to find a mouse with some side buttons I can actually reach with my thumb.... lol
    Some of us taking our mousing very seriously, what can I say? lol

But, it is nice to know what the numbers actually mean for you. DPI is more or less a marketing gimmick for the most part, I doubt anyone ever needs 5600 dpi unless maybe they have a 100 inch screen in mega high resolution (way more than 1080p) and the computer to run it and they run a really high sensitivity.

10+ Year Old Account
    What would you think of this:

3200dpi, 7 Programmable Keys, Laser Tracking (Front Positioned), Onboard Memory, LED indicators
    Order Code:
    NOV-G2

£16.65

I also looked at the:

Adjustable dpi (upto 6000), TDCU, 1000hz Polling, 11750fps, 30G Acceleration, upto 200 Inches per Second, 16 bit Data Channel, 72Mhz OnBoard CPU
    £59.56

But it seems from the layout on the picture, i'd have the same problem as I do with most other mice... in that I'd only be able to use one of the additional side buttons..
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-06-22 at 01:46 PM.